Sharks News/Notes XVII

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
This reminds me when is that terrible TV contract over. Will it end at a favorable time to actually get a better broadcasting contract or will they need to go to short term ones till/if the Sharks Prospects blow up and make it a more desirable property? :crossfing

I want to say the TV contract ends in 2028. By the time we get to 2028, we will know how the emerging trend of making local teams' broadcasts available OTA and/or streaming will have played out. Assuming it is a success, I could easily see the Sharks move to something like what the Stars are doing starting this upcoming season, where all Stars games that are not nationally televised are free in market, but streaming only. (You will just download the free app and watch games) It would be consistent with the Sharks audio network, where the Sharks radio games now are only on streaming. It would be very "Silicon Valley" of them too.

This might be the only reason I'm glad the Sharks still have a few years left on the TV contract. I'd rather let other teams see how this experiment plays out, especially the Stars experiment because you will have a segment of the local fanbase frustrated that they can't just watch the game with an antenna, cable or satellite and also the "sports bar" issue. I'm sure many DFW sports bars will figure out a way to show the Stars games on their TVs, but not all. And there are many sports bars all over Texas (Since Texas still is a one NHL team state) that would normally show a Stars game if requested, but may not bother to get set up for this streaming, and not be able to accommodate a request from a patron going forward. I would expect similar issues in the Sharks viewing territory, especially outside of the Bay Area.

(I bring up the Stars streaming plan because I think if the Sharks went "free" after this contract ends, I suspect it is more likely they would opt for something like the Stars plan as opposed to other markets that have all or some games OTA)

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Pros of own OTA/streaming service:
  • Full control of broadcast (and pre/post game)
  • Direct income of advertisements
  • Full control of selection of ads (except OTA priorities)
  • Control over access (often limited to in-market only as NHL has contracts for inter/national distribution)
  • Direct consumer access (streaming)

Cons:
  • Full freight on production costs
  • Full freight on distribution costs (OTA might have some shared costs)
  • Payment processing costs/headaches
  • NHL Network becoming increasingly impossible to access as it is not available stand alone

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I want to say the TV contract ends in 2028. By the time we get to 2028, we will know how the emerging trend of making local teams' broadcasts available OTA and/or streaming will have played out. Assuming it is a success, I could easily see the Sharks move to something like what the Stars are doing starting this upcoming season, where all Stars games that are not nationally televised are free in market, but streaming only. (You will just download the free app and watch games) It would be consistent with the Sharks audio network, where the Sharks radio games now are only on streaming. It would be very "Silicon Valley" of them too.

This might be the only reason I'm glad the Sharks still have a few years left on the TV contract. I'd rather let other teams see how this experiment plays out, especially the Stars experiment because you will have a segment of the local fanbase frustrated that they can't just watch the game with an antenna, cable or satellite and also the "sports bar" issue. I'm sure many DFW sports bars will figure out a way to show the Stars games on their TVs, but not all. And there are many sports bars all over Texas (Since Texas still is a one NHL team state) that would normally show a Stars game if requested, but may not bother to get set up for this streaming, and not be able to accommodate a request from a patron going forward. I would expect similar issues in the Sharks viewing territory, especially outside of the Bay Area.

(I bring up the Stars streaming plan because I think if the Sharks went "free" after this contract ends, I suspect it is more likely they would opt for something like the Stars plan as opposed to other markets that have all or some games OTA)
I would love something that was:

1) Worldwide access
2) No commercials
3) Ability to blank out promos/in-house ads
4) Playoffs included w/Shark's team broadcasting their games

I would pay ~USD1,000/year for that service.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The way national TV deals are, regional/local broadcasts end after 1st round. (But they do 1st round)

You can always sync Sharks Radio Network with national 'cast to get Rusanowsky and Remenda/whoever calling the game.

Reactions: Sandisfan

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
that's not nearly cheerful enough for Jumbo. It also doesn't include enough uses of the word "bud" or laughing.
Joe is notoriously dark when losing. You're a fake fan.

1000010862.gif

• Wow

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I don't see it mentioned here, but Tara Slone announced on her FB on June 20 that she's going back to Toronto, so presumably she has changed her role with the Sharks (She mentions still trying to work with the Sharks on doing something). Also sounds like she's not with Dan Boyle anymore.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I don't see it mentioned here, but Tara Slone announced on her FB on June 20 that she's going back to Toronto, so presumably she has changed her role with the Sharks (She mentions still trying to work with the Sharks on doing something). Also sounds like she's not with Dan Boyle anymore.

Losing Tara is a bigger hit than losing Hedican.

Reactions: slocal

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Tara and Hedi are on different planets. Tara was an exponential upgrade over any 'soft' hockey analyst (not an NHLer like Brodie) rolled out previously. I'd take Hedi the gluttony of ex-pro options (Brown, Hannan, Smith, etc).

I'm not being critical of opinions as much as I agree losing both sucks independently. For every Hertl that leaves, a potential Celebrini awaits!

Reactions: ChompChomp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad