Confirmed with Link: Sharks claim Goodrow from NYR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
The problem is that even when the Sharks were a perennial Cup contender, they never had a lot of UFAs pining to sign here
I remember hearing an interview with Kyle Wellwood and he said some thing like "everyone wants to play in San Jose" and i had to rewind many times to hear if he was being sarcastic (he wasnt). I still dont believe it

Reactions: Sandisfan

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I remember hearing an interview with Kyle Wellwood and he said some thing like "everyone wants to play in San Jose" and i had to rewind many times to hear if he was being sarcastic (he wasnt). I still dont believe it
San Jose is a mostly foreign place to many hockey players. This makes it tough to attract players to play here but once they do they love it and want to stay.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
We've rehashed this countless times over the years. When we're winning, SJ is probably middle of the pack or top 1/3 but not top 5 for desirability.

It's a great place to raise a family, it's a great off ice lifestyle. But the taxes and high costs do matter and we travel more than any other team in the league. It's far away from a lot of players' families.

All those factors are different for every player. Organizational health and coaching also plays in. "Do I have a chance to win there? Will I personally be successful there? What about all the other factors?"

But as a bad team right now, that's the #1 factor far and away re being undesirable.

CHALUPA

Oct 9, 2008
San Francisco , CA
It's virtually impossible for a consensus #1 pick to bust out in today's age. Of the most recent ones, Lafreniere was never really highly touted. Yakupov was pretty much the only one and even he had questions about his game going into that draft. Celebrini will be fine.

I remember Laf having a ton of hype.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

Union keeping an eye on any upcoming SJS-NYR trades as the claim circumvent NTC.
Personally I think one or two things will happen. One absolutely nothing (most likely) we won’t see any additional trades to give us value for picking up Goodrow. Two we do something like Gushchin for Kakko or something that’s clearly tilted in our favor value wise but not so obvious that it looks like circumvention.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Frankly, if SJ was going to claim him anyways then I don't really see the major issue. Goodrow can be mad about the Rangers all he wants, but that's the reality of being placed on waivers. Someone would have claimed him regardless IMO so it's not like he was ever going have a say in where he ended up even with his NTC.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

Union keeping an eye on any upcoming SJS-NYR trades as the claim circumvent NTC.

I’m sure both teams discussed the scenario privately with their compliance folks. I don’t see them leaving a blatant paper trail for the league to find something. Even if they did, I think the Rangers would be the team that the league would come down on here.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX

He wasn't being sarcastic. Players love the idea of SJ. Great weather, great place to raise a family, low pressure from media. When the Sharks are good, Shark Tank is rocking.

BUT unless we have a seismic shift in where players come from, we still have a league dominated by players from Eastern Canada, North Eastern US, and Europe. And players want to play close to home. For all the teams Jagr played for, none of the California teams are on that list.

Fun fact: Kyle Wellwood was on the ice in STL with the Blues (Where had had signed) when he found out the Sharks had claimed him off waivers.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
He wasn't being sarcastic. Players love the idea of SJ. Great weather, great place to raise a family, low pressure from media. When the Sharks are good, Shark Tank is rocking.

BUT unless we have a seismic shift in where players come from, we still have a league dominated by players from Eastern Canada, North Eastern US, and Europe. And players want to play close to home. For all the teams Jagr played for, none of the California teams are on that list.

Fun fact: Kyle Wellwood was on the ice in STL with the Blues (Where had had signed) when he found out the Sharks had claimed him off waivers.
It's cost of living and the terrible travel schedule.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Frankly, if SJ was going to claim him anyways then I don't really see the major issue. Goodrow can be mad about the Rangers all he wants, but that's the reality of being placed on waivers. Someone would have claimed him regardless IMO so it's not like he was ever going have a say in where he ended up even with his NTC.
I really dont see any team claiming him. Common knowledge was that a team was going to get a nice reward for taking him on, but the problem was those teams were on his list.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I really dont see any team claiming him. Common knowledge was that a team was going to get a nice reward for taking him on, but the problem was those teams were on his list.
Who knows, but I think he would have gotten claimed. Everyone thought the Hawks were nuts for signing Foligno to a 4 million dollar deal yet even at 36 they still gave him an extension. I think the "common knowledge" aspect is more what we as fans assumed it would take, but I'm not sure there was ever any real insider info about what it would take to trade for him and what would be required as a return.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
It's cost of living and the terrible travel schedule.
The travel schedule isn't really that terrible if the schedule makers were not completely inept. The western conference isn't really more than 30 to 90 minute flights on a private jet.

You could go same day everywhere if you wanted to.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The travel schedule isn't really that terrible if the schedule makers were not completely inept. The western conference isn't really more than 30 to 90 minute flights on a private jet.

You could go same day everywhere if you wanted to.
When it is compared to 10-15 minute car rides yes it really is terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad