Confirmed with Link: Sharks claim Goodrow from NYR

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
My brother in christ, he was on waivers and I would bet real earth money that no one else was gonna claim him.

Emberson was a great pickup, but let’s not act like he would have played on the Rangers last season. They were forced to waive him because the rest of their D was better.
I didn't say it raised his contract to positive value, just that it made it "a bit less toxic."

Which is to say that realistically Goodrow is only overpaid by $1-1.5M/yr. That level of overpayment is not worth a significant sweetener, especially not with the rising cap creating an abundance of cap space around the league.

I actually like that Goodrow is signed for three years. It's important to have short term stability around Celebrini, Eklund and Smith rather than signing UFAs to 1 year deals to try and flip them at the deadline every year like in a video game.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
GMs help each other out all the time. Grier building relationships with other GMs and all it cost us was us getting a free albeit overpaid 4th liner with proven playoff experience is what we call 4D chess.
I 100% disagree with this. Taking on a terrible contract for 3 years to do a solid for another GM is silly and unlikely unless there is a handshake deal in place

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I 100% disagree with this. Taking on a terrible contract for 3 years to do a solid for another GM is silly and unlikely unless there is a handshake deal in place
It's not just taking on a terrible contract. Chances are Chicago or someone else was going to take it on regardless. We were like 10 million under the cap FLOOR, we're not a draw for free agents, and 3 years is a reasonable term for a guy to help the defensive responsibilities and PK while the young kids can focus on being the offensive cornerstones they're expected to be. Bringing in guys who JUST came off conference final appearances also adds the experience and vet knowledge that can only come from that. All of that PLUS building a solid working relationship with another GM is a bonus.

But yeah, we didn't get pick 68 or whatever so f*** Grier, right?

Reactions: LunchPail and Sawbu

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I’m not trying to argue that Grier didn’t have the right to claim Barclay or that Barclay doesn’t have to live with the consequences of not being good enough to earn an NMC by any means. I’m purely stating that I would not want to take a player who refused to be traded to me, from the perspective of the acquiring GM.
If that's the case we won't be acquiring any players, because no one wants to be here right now unless they're desperate for an NHL job

We're gonna get some guys that don't want to be here, it's part of gig when you finish last in wins year-over-year, but we won't improve without adding talent and that talent is obviously going to prefer to play for a winning franchise, beggers can't be chosers at this juncture

Reactions: Star Platinum

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
3x3.6M for Goodrow should have netted us a late 1st. What an absolutely indefensible move by Grier. And for the “well they probably have a handshake deal in place” crowd, that’s nothing but hopeful speculation. If NYR did try to trade Goodrow to SJ and he nixed it then that should have signaled something to Grier and ended the pursuit. You don’t circumvent the NTC and willingly take a horrid contract back for free.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
If that's the case we won't be acquiring any players, because no one wants to be here right now unless they're desperate for an NHL job

We're gonna get some guys that don't want to be here, it's part of gig when you finish last in wins year-over-year, but we won't improve without adding talent and that talent is obviously going to prefer to play for a winning franchise, beggers can't be chosers at this juncture
I honestly doubt Duclair wanted to be here after coming off a SC appearance. Players are professional and understand the business of the game.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I won't judge this until we get close to the season, because other moves will happen and who knows how it will shake out.

And I'll always be a fan of Goodrow.

But never forget:

1.) By 2019 VGK gm6, Goodrow was in the PDB doghouse. Wasn't getting much ice time, but PDB had no choice but to play him in double OT. And then Goodrow took a penalty in double OT. Yeah Hertl scored shorthanded, but Goodrow almost cost the season.

2.) In 2019 VGK gm7, game went to OT, but Goodrow didn't even log 8 mins TOI. Basically PDB had to play him in OT because everyone else was gassed and fresh Goodrow was able to be the hero. Goodrow had the second lowest TOI that game for the Sharks. Someone else had even less, clocking in at less than 3 minutes. A name that is completely forgotten by Sharks fans, Lukas Radil lol.

Reactions: karltonian

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

I didn’t say “only trade for guys who actively want to be in SJ”, I said “don’t aggressively acquire players who have specifically turned down a trade to your team”.

If we are unable to sign any FAs better than Goodrow this summer, then I will concede the point to you.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I didn’t say “only trade for guys who actively want to be in SJ”, I said “don’t aggressively acquire players who have specifically turned down a trade to your team”.

If we are unable to sign any FAs better than Goodrow this summer, then I will concede the point to you.
We also don't know if he did indeed nix a trade.

Reactions: hckygeek

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
It's not just taking on a terrible contract. Chances are Chicago or someone else was going to take it on regardless. We were like 10 million under the cap FLOOR, we're not a draw for free agents, and 3 years is a reasonable term for a guy to help the defensive responsibilities and PK while the young kids can focus on being the offensive cornerstones they're expected to be. Bringing in guys who JUST came off conference final appearances also adds the experience and vet knowledge that can only come from that. All of that PLUS building a solid working relationship with another GM is a bonus.

But yeah, we didn't get pick 68 or whatever so f*** Grier, right?
lol what? I like Grier and have been high on most of his moves. You were the guy hating Grier when we traded Hertl and bashing everything for a week.

Goodrow is bad at hockey. Who cares if someone else was going to claim them, let them pay him 4M per season for the next 3 years.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
oh shit it just all clicked:

couture is very sad, sees one trade rumor and spirals, called Grier
Grier goes out of his way to talk about it, but Couture is still sad
Grier goes out and buys him a therapy 4th liner (his bff Goodrow)

We still don't know about #2, though. That was just a thing someone suggested as a possible reason. But it IS the only reason that makes sense right now, I guess, unless yeah, there's an impending better move coming with the Rangers (but then why not package it with this one?)
You don’t package with this move because this is not a trade. They could make a trade involving draft picks and would wait till draft day. Also when you collude to circumvent rules you don’t make that trade immediately after. You wait and make it seem unrelated.

I think if the Sharks make any trade with the Rangers this offseason this waiver claim is 100% part of that deal.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ

I don't know how "aggressive" it is for the team that is 1st in waiver priority to aquire a player on a claim, it sounds like totally normal business

Reactions: LunchPail

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
You don’t package with this move because this is not a trade. They could make a trade involving draft picks and would wait till draft day. Also when you collude to circumvent rules you don’t make that trade immediately after. You wait and make it seem unrelated.

I think if the Sharks make any trade with the Rangers this offseason this waiver claim is 100% part of that deal.

But if we’re getting Player X in a future move for Sharks Player Y, why not just do that trade immediately and throw in Goodrow? Wouldn’t it yield the exact same results?

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Every move Grier makes doesn't have to be a loyalty / litmus test.

This seems like a weird, unnecessary move and isn't on face value positive. You can't assume there's another shoe to drop, until it actually drops. So maybe this is a minorly negative move. You can believe that and also think Grier is not THE WORST GM OVER HIS HEAD.

On the other hand, we don't know whether this is Grier doing his buddy Drury a solid, or maybe Drury called the bluff and Grier said "ah f*** it, we'll pick him up instead of him getting bought out." So therefore "we should have gotten something for him!" isn't a legit argument in that case. It has minor upsides in helping us to the cap floor, and adding a veteran with PK abilities. You can believe that without anointing Grier the savior.

In my opinion, pick 14 is oodles more important than this move. Hell, Pick 33 and 42 might be more important than this move.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
But if we’re getting Player X in a future move for Sharks Player Y, why not just do that trade immediately and throw in Goodrow? Wouldn’t it yield the exact same results?
Because it’s pretty clear that’s not happening. The handshake deal here was just that the sharks agreed to claim him when he obviously had us on his NTC.

Reactions: vortexy

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Why stop there? It should have netted us McDavid via Edmonton in a three team deal. Maybe Bedard as well?

Bailing out a contending team by taking on an average 4th liner making 3.6M AAV for three more years and asking for a late 1st as compensation is pretty much asking for McDavid and Bedard.
Par for the course from you.

Reactions: themelkman

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Every move Grier makes doesn't have to be a loyalty / litmus test.

This seems like a weird, unnecessary move and isn't on face value positive. You can't assume there's another shoe to drop, until it actually drops. So maybe this is a minorly negative move. You can believe that and also think Grier is not THE WORST GM OVER HIS HEAD.

On the other hand, we don't know whether this is Grier doing his buddy Drury a solid, or maybe Drury called the bluff and Grier said "ah f*** it, we'll pick him up instead of him getting bought out." So therefore "we should have gotten something for him!" isn't a legit argument in that case. It has minor upsides in helping us to the cap floor, and adding a veteran with PK abilities. You can believe that without anointing Grier the savior.

In my opinion, pick 14 is oodles more important than this move. Hell, Pick 33 and 42 might be more important than this move.
Perfectly said. I like Grier and most of his moves. But he has a handful of bad ones (like every GM) and I think this we a pretty bad deal we did for no reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad