Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Yaroslav Askarov (w/extension, 2yr @ $2m per), F Nolan Burke 2025 3rd for Edstrom, VGK 1st, and G Chrona

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
unlikely, but still possible scenario. Sharks pick is #3 and VGK has the #7 pick in the next draft. Do they keep both draft picks because it is top 10 protected?

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
unlikely, but still possible scenario. Sharks pick is #3 and VGK has the #7 pick in the next draft. Do they keep both draft picks because it is top 10 protected?
They can choose whether they give up the Vegas pick or keep it and give up their own 1st rounder in '26, I think.

The McMafia

Sep 2, 2011
San Diego, CA
They can choose whether they give up the Vegas pick or keep it and give up their own 1st rounder in '26, I think.

My read: it is the lower of the two picks in 2025 if Vegas ends up top 10 post-lottery.

Giving up the extra lottery shot - if Vegas sucks - isn't great but the value of that (likely) late first can probably be replaced by whatever the team gets for unloading Granlund, Ceci, Rutta, Ferraro, and one of the other two goalies.

Or taking on another bad contract for futures during the next offseason.

Reactions: coooldude

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
My read: it is the lower of the two picks in 2025 if Vegas ends up top 10 post-lottery.

Giving up the extra lottery shot - if Vegas sucks - isn't great but the value of that (likely) late first can probably be replaced by whatever the team gets for unloading Granlund, Ceci, Rutta, Ferraro, and one of the other two goalies.

Or taking on another bad contract for futures during the next offseason.
The way to think about it is Askarov was the 11th overall pick and had more of less met that trajectory. Even with him being unhappy in Nashville, you don't get that cheaply. That Vegas first rounder was the price; Edstrom is the Sharks paying for the odds that it is worse than #11 and the third rounder is Nashville paying for the odds that it's better.

Reactions: Cas

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

No, I'm pretty sure that the conditions were if the Vegas pick ends up top 10 the Sharks have the choice of conveying their own pick or Vegas' to the Predators to satisfy the trade. In other words the Sharks will walk away with the highest 1st rounder they could've had in the 2025 draft before this trade no matter what happens, just not both. But they will give up one of their two 1sts for '25 no matter what. There's no deferral.

In this scenario they would be allowed to choose which pick to give up, but would obviously surrender the #7. But if it ended up that the Sharks picked, say, 5th and Vegas won the lottery and got #1, Grier would be able to choose to give Nashville that #5 pick (that is the Sharks' own pick) and keep the lottery-winning Vegas pick and draft 1st.

The conditions are pretty much jackpot insurance. If Vegas sucks and wins the lottery over the Sharks, they don't have to suffer the annoyance of giving that 1st overall pick to Nashville as part of this trade.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
HOLY HECK! I'm psyched for this.

Great trade - how did we not touch our top tier prospects for one of the top two or 3 goalie prospects in the world?

Grier just crushed that one!!

Reactions: Sharksfan66

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I think it is worth mentioning, it was Askarov or nothing, as far as franchise goalies go.

Any high end goalie prospect drafted by the sharks would be 6 years out at least from really being a regular NHLer, if there even is one in the next couple drafts.

Goalies like Askarov has the potential to be dont get traded, and unless you get one on a Bobrovsky-like contract you don't get one in free agency. (And even that requires the guy to specifically want to come here.)

So, if the Sharks don't make this trade, at least the first half of the Smith/Celebrini window would feature platooning goalies. Can you win a cup like that? Of course, that is proven, but you'd rather not have to, so taking the one possible shot to avoid it seems really important. And the price is the price, as others were clearly in on this, so there was at least a bidding war at some level.

Oettinger, Swayman, and potentially Wallatedt (I can’t eval goalies, but I prefer the sound of Askarov) are pretty much the only guys who you’d rather have for our next 10 years. All three are almost certainly out of the question.

Saros, Vasi, Helleybuck, Sorokin, Shesterkin, Bob, and Ullmark are 28+. Demko’s injury sounds significant. For the next 3 years we’ve got him at under $2M. In 2 years we can extend him for 6-8 and that’s the number 1 sorted for probably 7/9 or 9/11 of Celebrini/Smith’s first decade.

I think we’ll still look to grab one of the top tier goalie prospects in ‘25- sounds like a strong goalie draft- but they’re not helping for 5+ years. Maybe, they’re injury insurance or a cheap backup that can be groomed to take over as Askarov ages out.

Now let’s grab Schaefer and load up on RHD.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
In fact, were I the Sharks right now, I would say it's of the utmost importance to try and get a very good goaltending coach right now that they have someone worth investing in.

Maybe when they hired Thomas Speer and then Ryan Miller? Speer does seem to have done a pretty decent job so far, at least with Blackwood, and Miller seems like a guy Grier has trust in even if he's just in a part-time developmental/scouting role (and obviously was a great goalie himself).
Asked and answered. Speer is well regarded. Last year the goalies outperformed. Hopefully we are building the right environment.

A lot of the best goalies over time have been fiery, so hopefully it's not an issue. Wouldn't be stoked to have a Binnington though unless we get the early cup and then the years of petulance.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Guys, no need to quibble, it's practical to hate Vegas EVERY year

Protections per Friedman:

So, in the very unlikely circumstance that Vegas picks top 10 and we pick 11 or lower we get to keep the Vegas pick and send ours out instead

Realistically, we are sending the Vegas pick and keeping our own, but now we have some lottery protection in case Vegas really bottoms out and we progress more than expected

The ONLY circumstance in which we send Nashville the higher pick is if Vegas picks 11th or later and we still pick later than they do, which just seems incredibly unlikely, but if that does happen then at least we're not sending back anything higher than pick #11

Chris Johnston as well:

Reactions: Shark Finn

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Oettinger, Swayman, and potentially Wallatedt (I can’t eval goalies, but I prefer the sound of Askarov) are pretty much the only guys who you’d rather have for our next 10 years. All three are almost certainly out of the question.

Saros, Vasi, Helleybuck, Sorokin, Shesterkin, Bob, and Ullmark are 28+. Demko’s injury sounds significant. For the next 3 years we’ve got him at under $2M. In 2 years we can extend him for 6-8 and that’s the number 1 sorted for probably 7/9 or 9/11 of Celebrini/Smith’s first decade.

I think we’ll still look to grab one of the top tier goalie prospects in ‘25- sounds like a strong goalie draft- but they’re not helping for 5+ years. Maybe, they’re injury insurance or a cheap backup that can be groomed to take over as Askarov ages out.

Now let’s grab Schaefer and load up on RHD.
Matt Schaefer is a LHD.

We are looking at Logan Hensler and Charlie Trethaway

Reactions: Sandisfan

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Matt Schaefer is a LHD.

We are looking at Logan Hensler and Charlie Trethaway

Schaefer is projected as top defenseman in the draft. Even though he’s left handed, I think you go for him. Beyond him- or Martone, Frondell, Hagens, and Rybakin- I want to see us pick up at least one RHD in the top 60. We’ll need to acquire some more picks. If you project Schaefer as a #1 and Hensler as #2, Schaefer’s the guy, regardless of Dickinson and Muk.

If it was something like ‘24, is like to see us come away with someone like Emery, Bandika, Elick or Kleber. There’s quite a few RHD projected in the late 20s (Radiojevic, Huang, Strbak, Handel, and a couple more). It early, but I’m guessing we’ll have good targets with our early second and picks acquired at the deadline.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
What are the odds Vegas ends up with a top 3 pick? Say 11-13th and win the lotto? 30:1? They could take a step back, but I just don’t for see a total collapse. Barring that unlikely scenario, i think the worst that could happen is they end up 14-18, which could hve been capital to move up for Hensler, Wozniak, or some other premier prospect that fills a hole.

Aside from Hensler, and maybe 6-8 other top prospects, I think I’d rather have Askarov that just about anyone you could get with Vegas first.

That said the Vegas pick is gone, it’s a sunk cost. They’re a rival, we may as well root for their collapse.

Reactions: Cas

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Draft Martone with the 2025 1st, trade a lottery-protected 2026 1st along with Ferraro and Musty for Noah Dobson, sign Frank Vatrano in free agency and roll into 2025-26 with something like this:

Eklund-Celebrini-Toffoli
Vatrano-Smith-Zetterlund
Bystedt-Wennberg-Martone
Grundstrom-Goodrow-Dellandrea

Shak-Dobson
Walman-Ceci
Thrun-Benning

Askarov
Blackwood

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan and Trow

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Woke up this morning and thought about the audacity of my new goalie and then I wanted to carry on woth my new goalie's energy so...
z
z
z
1724510955038.jpeg

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
After some time to process this, I still don’t know how to feel. I’m not as high on Askarov as some I think. I guess I’d compare him to like Eklund or Mukhammadullin in that yes all these guys have potential to be top of the lineup elite level players but honestly probably won’t reach that level. I think Askarov has potential to be the Hellebuyck, Vasilevskiy, etc level starter but probably closer to like a Markstrom or a Bobrovsky where he’s still very good but not that elite level. It’s just a very high price to pay for a goalie that has done nothing at the NHL level. I also worry about Askarov having to play this year in the NHL (since the goalies that might be ahead of him are very injury prone) and getting completely left out to dry night in and night out.8 I ALSO worry about our staff’s ability to develop a goaltender.

Reactions: coooldude

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
No, I'm pretty sure that the conditions were if the Vegas pick ends up top 10 the Sharks have the choice of conveying their own pick or Vegas' to the Predators to satisfy the trade. In other words the Sharks will walk away with the highest 1st rounder they could've had in the 2025 draft before this trade no matter what happens, just not both. But they will give up one of their two 1sts for '25 no matter what. There's no deferral.

In this scenario they would be allowed to choose which pick to give up, but would obviously surrender the #7. But if it ended up that the Sharks picked, say, 5th and Vegas won the lottery and got #1, Grier would be able to choose to give Nashville that #5 pick (that is the Sharks' own pick) and keep the lottery-winning Vegas pick and draft 1st.

The conditions are pretty much jackpot insurance. If Vegas sucks and wins the lottery over the Sharks, they don't have to suffer the annoyance of giving that 1st overall pick to Nashville as part of this trade.
Technically not the case. Weird stuff would have to happen, but if we finish outside of the top 10 then technically we could give up the better pick if Vegas is also outside of the top 10. Would mean absolutely epic seasons from Macklin and Smith though, so I am not sure I would even care at that point.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Schaefer is projected as top defenseman in the draft. Even though he’s left handed, I think you go for him. Beyond him- or Martone, Frondell, Hagens, and Rybakin- I want to see us pick up at least one RHD in the top 60. We’ll need to acquire some more picks. If you project Schaefer as a #1 and Hensler as #2, Schaefer’s the guy, regardless of Dickinson and Muk.

If it was something like ‘24, is like to see us come away with someone like Emery, Bandika, Elick or Kleber. There’s quite a few RHD projected in the late 20s (Radiojevic, Huang, Strbak, Handel, and a couple more). It early, but I’m guessing we’ll have good targets with our early second and picks acquired at the deadline.
Well see. A few months ago Logan Hensler was fighting for the #2 spot behind Hagens. Let's see how their draft year plays out.

There are always big swings.

Right hand D have become rarer and rarer due to increased focus on teaching right handed guys to hold their stick left hand shot over the last 2 decades and despite rankings this year, a lot of teams surprised by going for guys not thought of as highly as Buium and Dickenson specifically because they were right handed.

After some time to process this, I still don’t know how to feel. I’m not as high on Askarov as some I think. I guess I’d compare him to like Eklund or Mukhammadullin in that yes all these guys have potential to be top of the lineup elite level players but honestly probably won’t reach that level. I think Askarov has potential to be the Hellebuyck, Vasilevskiy, etc level starter but probably closer to like a Markstrom or a Bobrovsky where he’s still very good but not that elite level. It’s just a very high price to pay for a goalie that has done nothing at the NHL level. I also worry about Askarov having to play this year in the NHL (since the goalies that might be ahead of him are very injury prone) and getting completely left out to dry night in and night out.8 I ALSO worry about our staff’s ability to develop a goaltender.
Bobrovsky isn't elite to you? Jesus, winning 2 vezina trophies and being a finalist for another ain't what it used to be lol

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Just like the "underwhelming return" crowd on the Meier deal, I expect most will come around when they realize that Vegas is picking in the 20's and Edstrom was the last pick of the 1st round and closer to Ozzy/Goldobin than Hertl. Doesn't make the move to trade Hertl any worse with that line of thinking (such a tough contract to move while he was injured on top of it), just paints a more realistic picture of what we actually gave up.

Once the Vegas pick solidifies into what oddsmakers believe it will be (low to mid 20's), this deal will look great. Issue is that had we waited to make the deal once Vegas was already going to be there, we'd likely have had to give up even more for Askarov or equivalent.

My ideal package was Edstrom/Bystedt, 2025 SJ 2nd, and Bords/Gus. Wound up costing about 10 draft positions more than I wanted, but that's also the price to be paid when there is demand for a player from other teams (and also a negligible difference in the long run of this franchise).

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
That’s a lot of worries. Try a nice bath or walk in nature. That usually helps my worries melt away!

As for Askarov only becoming Bobrovsky, I think that’s still a huge win. Our Swiss cheese of a defense is definitely a problem, but this is also where you see what the goalie is made of. My sense is that our D will be better because we have Walman and Cecy, and our system will be better because of Warsofsky.

As for our staff ruining his development, the kid is already developed! And perhaps Nabby (who’s also Russian), Speers (who’s known to be a good development coach) and Miller (who’s played at a very high level), will have a good influence on him and help him round out his game (mentally, emotionally and physically).

Sharksfan66

Nov 4, 2021
Draft Martone with the 2025 1st, trade a lottery-protected 2026 1st along with Ferraro and Musty for Noah Dobson, sign Frank Vatrano in free agency and roll into 2025-26 with something like this:

Eklund-Celebrini-Toffoli
Vatrano-Smith-Zetterlund
Bystedt-Wennberg-Martone
Grundstrom-Goodrow-Dellandrea

Shak-Dobson
Walman-Ceci
Thrun-Benning

Askarov
Blackwood
You really think that's all Dobson would cost?

If so, this seems like a dream scenario, though I'd optimistically have Couture in the Vatrano spot.

Reactions: 67 others

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Well see. A few months ago Logan Hensler was fighting for the #2 spot behind Hagens. Let's see how their draft year plays out.

There are always big swings.

Right hand D have become rarer and rarer due to increased focus on teaching right handed guys to hold their stick left hand shot over the last 2 decades and despite rankings this year, a lot of teams surprised by going for guys not thought of as highly as Buium and Dickenson specifically because they were right handed.

Bobrovsky isn't elite to you? Jesus, winning 2 vezina trophies and being a finalist for another ain't what it used to be lol
Bobrovsky is in the second tier of goalies behind Sorokin, Shesterkin, Vasilevskiy, Oettinger, probably another one but it’s 8 AM and the cat is trying to sit with me currently so.
Just like the "underwhelming return" crowd on the Meier deal, I expect most will come around when they realize that Vegas is picking in the 20's and Edstrom was the last pick of the 1st round and closer to Ozzy/Goldobin than Hertl. Doesn't make the move to trade Hertl any worse with that line of thinking (such a tough contract to move while he was injured on top of it), just paints a more realistic picture of what we actually gave up.

Once the Vegas pick solidifies into what oddsmakers believe it will be (low to mid 20's), this deal will look great. Issue is that had we waited to make the deal once Vegas was already going to be there, we'd likely have had to give up even more for Askarov or equivalent.

My ideal package was Edstrom/Bystedt, 2025 SJ 2nd, and Bords/Gus. Wound up costing about 10 draft positions more than I wanted, but that's also the price to be paid when there is demand for a player from other teams (and also a negligible difference in the long run of this franchise).
More about Askarov for me than the package. It’s not like the Timo trade.

That’s a lot of worries. Try a nice bath or walk in nature. That usually helps my worries melt away!

As for Askarov only becoming Bobrovsky, I think that’s still a huge win. Our Swiss cheese of a defense is definitely a problem, but this is also where you see what the goalie is made of. My sense is that our D will be better because we have Walman and Cecy, and our system will be better because of Warsofsky.

As for our staff ruining his development, the kid is already developed! And perhaps Nabby (who’s also Russian), Speers (who’s known to be a good development coach) and Miller (who’s played at a very high level), will have a good influence on him and help him round out his game (mentally, emotionally and physically).
Askarov is absolutely not already developed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad