Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire pick 11 for 14+42

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
I agree with what several people write here:

The timing of the deal makes ZERO sense. If they had a single player targeted that they believe is there at 11 and not 14, then the deal runs a hug risk!
1. The target player is taken before 11: then they threw away a mid 2nd rounder and should not have moved up.
2. the target player is available at 11: then make this deal right before the 11th pick to ensure that you get your guy
3. Several "off the board" picks happen and there are several target players available. Then you can get what you want at 14 and no need to trade at all.

The timing of the deal makes NO sense, and Grier is really struggling. I also think the 43rd pick is very expensive to move up 3 spots. maybe trading it to NJ to move up to 10, but 11 is not a big difference.

I figure this is to land one of the big 6 D (Levshunov, Silayev, Buium, dickinson, perekh, or yakemchuk). Nearly every mock draft had all 6 gone by 14, but at least one or two left at 11. Eiserman was predicted to be available in many mock drafts at 14, so executing such a deal now makes little sense.

Grier knows we have Eklund, Graf, Smith, Mack, Bystedt, Edstrom, Musty, Haltunnen, and even lund, gushkin, and bordy along with newly acquired Afanasyev who was point per game in the A. The promising forward list is very long.

The D is bascially empty. Shakir is a B- prospect and thats the best we got. It seems obvious that grier wants one of the top 6 D and that 11 almost guarantees one, while 14 is likely to miss all of them. I love the move to get one of the top D, but I hate the timing of the move as I do not understand why Grier could do this on the draft floor o ensure the value and target of the deal.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I figure this is to land one of the big 6 D (Levshunov, Silayev, Buium, dickinson, perekh, or yakemchuk). Nearly every mock draft had all 6 gone by 14, but at least one or two left at 11. Eiserman was predicted to be available in many mock drafts at 14, so executing such a deal now makes little sense.
Honestly, I don't put too much stock into mocks and such. People get way too bent outta shape about picks that happen vs what their favorite "analyst" predicted. Truth is we don't know what organizations are thinking.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away

The timing of the deal makes ZERO sense. If they had a single player targeted that they believe is there at 11 and not 14, then the deal runs a hug risk!
1. The target player is taken before 11: then they threw away a mid 2nd rounder and should not have moved up.
2. the target player is available at 11: then make this deal right before the 11th pick to ensure that you get your guy
3. Several "off the board" picks happen and there are several target players available. Then you can get what you want at 14 and no need to trade at all.

The timing of the deal makes NO sense, and Grier is really struggling. I also think the 43rd pick is very expensive to move up 3 spots. maybe trading it to NJ to move up to 10, but 11 is not a big difference.

Grier knows we have Eklund, Graf, Smith, Mack, Bystedt, Edstrom, Musty, Haltunnen, and even lund, gushkin, and bordy along with newly acquired Afanasyev who was point per game in the A. The promising forward list is very long.

The D is bascially empty. Shakir is a B- prospect and thats the best we got. It seems obvious that grier wants one of the top 6 D and that 11 almost guarantees one, while 14 is likely to miss all of them. I love the move to get one of the top D, but I hate the timing of the move as I do not understand why Grier could do this on the draft floor o ensure the value and target of the deal.
Just a thought but maybe this was dictated by Buffalo.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Honestly, I don't put too much stock into mocks and such. People get way too bent outta shape about picks that happen vs what their favorite "analyst" predicted. Truth is we don't know what organizations are thinking.
Of course, I could well be wrong, but I would bet that the target is Yakemchuk. He is usually projected to go in the 11-13 range, and he is exactly the kind of guy grier wants. Hard nosed, big and tough to play against who can be you #1 PP guy. He has the best shot and snarl.

Personally, he's not my top choice but this move makes perfect sense ONLY if hes the target. Eiserman was projected to be around at 14. The only guy consistently projected in the 11-13 range is yak.

Reactions: Sandisfan

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Of course, I could well be wrong, but I would bet that the target is Yakemchuk. He is usually projected to go in the 11-13 range, and he is exactly the kind of guy grier wants. Hard nosed, big and tough to play against who can be you #1 PP guy. He has the best shot and snarl.

Personally, he's not my top choice but this move makes perfect sense ONLY if hes the target. Eiserman was projected to be around at 14. The only guy consistently projected in the 11-13 range is yak.
Yakemchuk may be gone earlier - as early as 3, and possibly to any of 6-9 as well. I think this was more of a "get into the 2nd tier of players and take what's available at 11" pick.

Or maybe he gets even more aggressive and targets a draft day trade to 7, 8, or 9. Not as likely.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

Maybe there was only one team in that range willing to move its pick and there was competition for that pick, so if another team moved before the Sharks we would have been stuck at 14? This deal making zero sense is true only based on a specific set of assumptions which may not be correct.

Reactions: jMoneyBrah and NiWa

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015

I completely disagree about the timing of this trade. I absolutely love the timing of this trade. If you want to move up to a top 7 pick you can’t do that from 14. It is too far for those teams to drop. Moving first to 11 then again is impossible to do on draft night after seeing the board shake out.

I also like it because I had a clear top 13 then a tier break.

Tier 1: Celibrini

Tier 2: Levshunov, Silayev, Demidov, Lindstrom, Buium

Tier 3: Sennecke, Parekh, Dickinson, Yakemchuk, Iginla, Helenius, Catton

By moving up now the Sharks guarantee a player from this group and put themselves in a position to move up and grab a player from Tier 2. I think a Tier 3 player would have to be picked before 7 since I think that is the highest we can go from 11.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Yakemchuk may be gone earlier - as early as 3, and possibly to any of 6-9 as well. I think this was more of a "get into the 2nd tier of players and take what's available at 11" pick.

Or maybe he gets even more aggressive and targets a draft day trade to 7, 8, or 9. Not as likely.
Obviously, you are right. yak (like all players) could go anywhere. But if any of the other top 6 D (lev, sil, Bui, Per, or Dic) are still there at 11, he'll likely grab that one of them instead. Yak is usually the last of the 6 projected to be picked...

My big worry is that all 6 are gone ithe top 10 and we end up with Iginla, Senneke or Catton. (Mack, Demidov, Lindstrom will almost surely be gone by 11, so add in the 6 D, and the BPA is Iginla, Senneke, or Catton. To drop a 43rd overall pick to grab one of those would be disappointing to me and doesn't seem worth it. Thats why I figure MG made the deal. He is betting that one of the big 6 D is still there at 11. This is definitely likely...

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Obviously, you are right. yak (like all players) could go anywhere. But if any of the other top 6 D (lev, sil, Bui, Per, or Dic) are still there at 11, he'll likely grab that one of them instead. Yak is usually the last of the 6 projected to be picked...

My big worry is that all 6 are gone ithe top 10 and we end up with Iginla, Senneke or Catton. (Mack, Demidov, Lindstrom will almost surely be gone by 11, so add in the 6 D, and the BPA is Iginla, Senneke, or Catton. To drop a 43rd overall pick to grab one of those would be disappointing to me and doesn't seem worth it. Thats why I figure MG made the deal. He is betting that one of the big 6 D is still there at 11. This is definitely likely...
I think if all 6 D are gone, it means Iginla is there (Sennecke I think is going earlier). I still think Grier passes on Catton, for either Iginla, Eiserman or... god forbid for some fans but not me!... Solberg.

Either they believe that Iginla/Catton/Sennecke are worlds better than MBN/Helenius/Eiserman, or they bought the option to pick one of the top 6 D, and if they're all gone by 11, then maybe he takes Eiserman anyway, which would be a throwaway of 42. And I would be sad.

I think getting the deal done today means it's not a targeting deal but a "tiers" deal, and gives the option for an easier draft day trade up if they are so inclined to spend another 2nd rounder.

Reactions: DG93

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
I think if all 6 D are gone, it means Iginla is there (Sennecke I think is going earlier). I still think Grier passes on Catton, for either Iginla, Eiserman or... god forbid for some fans but not me!... Solberg.

Either they believe that Iginla/Catton/Sennecke are worlds better than MBN/Helenius/Eiserman, or they bought the option to pick one of the top 6 D, and if they're all gone by 11, then maybe he takes Eiserman anyway, which would be a throwaway of 42. And I would be sad.

I think getting the deal done today means it's not a targeting deal but a "tiers" deal, and gives the option for an easier draft day trade up if they are so inclined to spend another 2nd rounder.
Solberg at 11 after trading up from 14 would be worthy of soft riot

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
I completely disagree about the timing of this trade. I absolutely love the timing of this trade. If you want to move up to a top 7 pick you can’t do that from 14. It is too far for those teams to drop. Moving first to 11 then again is impossible to do on draft night after seeing the board shake out.

I also like it because I had a clear top 13 then a tier break.

Tier 1: Celibrini

Tier 2: Levshunov, Silayev, Demidov, Lindstrom, Buium

Tier 3: Sennecke, Parekh, Dickinson, Yakemchuk, Iginla, Helenius, Catton

By moving up now the Sharks guarantee a player from this group and put themselves in a position to move up and grab a player from Tier 2. I think a Tier 3 player would have to be picked before 7 since I think that is the highest we can go from 11.
I cannot see the sharks trading up again, though guess anything is posible. To go from 11 to 6 or 7 would require the 33+53 I bet. Not worth it...

It's possible that Buffalo would not be open to it on draft day or that someone else could step in with a better offer, but I doubt it. #43 to move back 3 spots is a great offer for Buff. I cannot see any team giving a better deal. I get the idea of buffalo not wanting to wait as they could get nothing on draft day if the sharks target player is gone. Its better for buffalo of course to trade now, but they would have taken it on draft day too.

I also think the sharks could have targeted NJ at 10. NJ has many top D prospects. They could get a very good forward at 14, and the 43 was their pick originally.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I also think the sharks could have targeted NJ at 10. NJ has many top D prospects. They could get a very good forward at 14, and the 43 was their pick originally.
NJ needs roster players, and once they traded for Markstrom, there's not much else that I think would move them off that pick. As soon as that trade happened, I figured they were picking at 10.

Reactions: jMoneyBrah

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I cannot see the sharks trading up again, though guess anything is posible. To go from 11 to 6 or 7 would require the 33+53 I bet. Not worth it...

It's possible that Buffalo would not be open to it on draft day or that someone else could step in with a better offer, but I doubt it. #43 to move back 3 spots is a great offer for Buff. I cannot see any team giving a better deal. I get the idea of buffalo not wanting to wait as they could get nothing on draft day if the sharks target player is gone. Its better for buffalo of course to trade now, but they would have taken it on draft day too.

If you can grab one of Levehunov, Silayev, Demidov, Lindstrom, or Buium then that is absolutely worth both losing both 33 and 53.

Those are 1D or 1st line FWs that are not easy to acquire.

I also think Ferraro can fetch a late first and recoup one of the 2nd that is lost by trading up.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Giving it more thought, I think they have a list of targets they really want and have realized that all of those targets are likely in the top 11-12 of the draft. My guess is they’re targeting a D but if there’s a run on D early, they’re really excited about like an Iginla, Sennecke, etc.

I also think, as a few people have said, we still have 2 2nd rounders and Ferraro as trade pieces to package our 11th to possibly get one of the big 6.

I love that after the worst year of Sharks hockey I’ve ever seen, their offseason has been WILDLY exciting. Can’t wait for tomorrow.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
I still think one of Parekh or Yakemchuk will be there. In particular Ottawa really doesn't need D and really should pick up a high end F. Their top 4 of Zub, Chabot, Sanderson, Chychrun is decent enough.

Skeksis25

Feb 17, 2023
North Brunswick, NJ
Solberg at 11 after trading up from 14 would be worthy of soft riot

Simply because mocks says he should go lower? We don't know what other teams think. We don't know how these players are ranked and rated by people actually making the decisions. We do this with the NFL draft every year too. Pretend that the 3 mock drafts we read is gospel and should be strictly followed and teams deviating from that are idiots.

Why do these teams bother hiring and paying people to do all this work when they could just print the most popular mock draft and follow that instead?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Simply because mocks says he should go lower? We don't know what other teams think. We don't know how these players are ranked and rated by people actually making the decisions. We do this with the NFL draft every year too. Pretend that the 3 mock drafts we read is gospel and should be strictly followed and teams deviating from that are idiots.

Why do these teams bother hiring and paying people to do all this work when they could just print the most popular mock draft and follow that instead?
I think it'd be an error in process at that point. Why trade up before the draft only to reach for Solberg or Eiserman rather than wait and see how it plays out at the draft, especially when the general industry chatter around those guys place them somewhere between 12-20.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA

No, because he doesn't have much offensive upside and most likely would be a nice 3/4 if he hits. Id rather them shoot for a 1D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad