Draft R1 #30: Rangers select EJ Emery (RHD, USNTDP/USHL)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I don’t love the pick but I understand and don’t hate it.

I wanted Freij, but you can’t take a risk like that when you don’t pick again for several rounds.

This pick was strategic on multiple levels.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
This is one of the main reasons NyR can’t win a cup on a consistent basis.

Let’s keep drafting the Mcilrath type of D in round 1? How has that gone so far?

Everyone knows defensive defenseman can be bought in free agency. Geez. It’s like NYR refuse to learn.

There were many talented guys like Chernyshev still on the board😳😭🤬🤬🤬
You think McIrath is a defensive defenseman?

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Not gonna hate on the kid at all but this pick should've been traded at the deadline for a bigger piece to get some help.

A 30th overall doesn't do anything for you when your window is to win now.

Another BIG organizational failure.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Not gonna hate on the kid at all but this pick should've been traded at the deadline for a bigger piece to get some help.

A 30th overall doesn't do anything for you when your window is to win now.

Another BIG organizational failure.
This wasn't a organizational failure at all.

You think McIrath is a defensive defenseman?
Well he was drafted to be that, unfortunately he ended up sucking at defense..

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
It's not dramatic at all. Look who we traded away in 94' to win and tell me that a 30th overall pick is what this organization needs right now.

But hey.. thank god for Jack Roslovic
And just what do you think a 30OA pick would bring that we’d suddenly be locks for the Cup? As you said, it’s a 30OA. 32OA went for a 4h liner? We took a swing at a shutdown D for the future. We have internal options for the bottom of the lineup.
This is how you operate with a bigger window.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
And just what do you think a 30OA pick would bring that we’d suddenly be locks for the Cup? As you said, it’s a 30OA. 32OA went for a 4h liner? We took a swing at a shutdown D for the future. We have internal options for the bottom of the lineup.
This is how you operate with a bigger window.

It could've been packaged along with other picks/prospects and or Kakko for a better return.

A team with an elite goalie in his prime consistently making the playoffs every year should never be holding on to late round picks.

Especially a team that hasn't won.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
It could've been packaged along with other picks/prospects and or Kakko for a better return.

A team with an elite goalie in his prime consistently making the playoffs every year should never be holding on to late round picks.

If a 30OA is so worthless and a team can’t potentially get a good player with it why would that move the needle in a significant trade? Basically, you can’t have it both ways. If it has value to another team in a trade it has value to NYR. If it has no value to NYR then you can’t say it has value in a trade.
This is much ado about nothing. NYR kept the pick and drafted a player they like for the future during a much bigger window than you seem to think is possible … though Shesty will likely be in his prime for another 7 years and Laf, Fox, etc will be in their primes as well, with Gabe on the way. This non move means NOTHING.
You notice Kakko wasn’t traded BTW, right? And he may never be traded.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A team that doesn't hold on to any top draft picks will eventually fall apart organizationally. When that happens it can be years and years to get competitive enough again even to making the playoffs let alone becoming a contender. Rangers have collapsed organizationally before. The year the Rangers moved Leetch for instance they had very little in Hartford or in unsigned prospects. Josef Balej looked like a real find to us. Again after the letter came trades that brought in guys like Lindgren, Howden, Hasek etc. We got draft picks too. There was very little in Hartford then and it showed even a couple years afterwards how depleted our organizational system had been.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021

lol

we should have traded the 30th OA pick + a 23-year old, 40-point player that is one of the few actually good contracts we have for... what? to move up to 25th overall and select EJ Emery 5 spots earlier? Just pretend we got him at #25 so you can be happy with this pick.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
lol

we should have traded the 30th OA pick + a 23-year old, 40-point player that is one of the few actually good contracts we have for... what? to move up to 25th overall and select EJ Emery 5 spots earlier? Just pretend we got him at #25 so you can be happy with this pick.

You missed the entire premise of my post. I never said they should've traded up. I said they should've traded this pick at the deadline when the rest of the East was an arms race. Read.

Last edited:

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
A team that doesn't hold on to any top draft picks will eventually fall apart organizationally. When that happens it can be years and years to get competitive enough again even to making the playoffs let alone becoming a contender. Rangers have collapsed organizationally before. The year the Rangers moved Leetch for instance they had very little in Hartford or in unsigned prospects. Josef Balej looked like a real find to us. Again after the letter came trades that brought in guys like Lindgren, Howden, Hasek etc. We got draft picks too. There was very little in Hartford then and it showed even a couple years afterwards how depleted our organizational system had been.

I couldn't disagree with you more. The only thing that holding on to extremely late first rounders does is guarantee mediocrity. You either full blown tank or you go all-in. There is absolutely no middle ground in the NHL. This organization has been in no-man's land for nearly the last 20 years. Always good enough to make the playoffs, never good enough to win it all.

This formula doesn't work and the results don't lie. If anyone here thinks hanging on to the 30th overall in a weaker draft does anything other than guarantee mediocrity, I don't know what you've been watching the last 20 years.

The good news, is that the Rangers are one of the better teams in the league at finding regular NHLers in the late 1st round. What doesn't help is the fact that handing the Rangers a top 12 pick in the draft is essentially the same as handing car keys to a drunken 17 year old girl.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
If a 30OA is so worthless and a team can’t potentially get a good player with it why would that move the needle in a significant trade? Basically, you can’t have it both ways. If it has value to another team in a trade it has value to NYR. If it has no value to NYR then you can’t say it has value in a trade.
This is much ado about nothing. NYR kept the pick and drafted a player they like for the future during a much bigger window than you seem to think is possible … though Shesty will likely be in his prime for another 7 years and Laf, Fox, etc will be in their primes as well, with Gabe on the way. This non move means NOTHING.
You notice Kakko wasn’t traded BTW, right? And he may never be traded.

You make a good point which I'll take and run with; A 30OA has different value to different organizations. I agree, a 30OA has zero value to the Rangers. Zip, zilch, nada. Absolute zero.

To the Blackhawks? Habs? Sabres? Sens? Pens? That pick absolutely holds value.

Just because it has no value to us in our current competitive window doesn't mean it has no value to tanking teams or teams that aren't projected to compete anytime soon. We have guys in their prime that are on the wrong side of 30 with Igor about to get paid (dr.evil face) 1 billion dollars after next year. This pick should've been gone 2 years ago let alone at this years deadline.

As I said, just more organizational ineptitude.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
You missed the entire premise of my post. I never said they should've traded up. I said they should've traded this pick at the deadline when the rest of the East was an arms race. Read.
I didn't think you were suggesting we had the cap space for a high-end contract when you said we "should have traded 30 OA for a bigger piece," so I assumed you meant a better draft position. That's cute.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
I didn't think you were suggesting we had the cap space for a high-end contract when you said we "should have traded 30 OA for a bigger piece," so I assumed you meant a better draft position. That's cute.

You really think Chris Drury, salary cap gymnast, couldn't have created the cap space by moving the pick and other useless shit out?

The man brought Patrick Kane here when he was making 20 million dollars. I think he could've figured out a way to bring in something more impactful than Jack Roslovic with a 1st round pick as a sweetener.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
You make a good point which I'll take and run with; A 30OA has different value to different organizations. I agree, a 30OA has zero value to the Rangers. Zip, zilch, nada. Absolute zero.

To the Blackhawks? Habs? Sabres? Sens? Pens? That pick absolutely holds value.

Just because it has no value to us in our current competitive window doesn't mean it has no value to tanking teams or teams that aren't projected to compete anytime soon. We have guys in their prime that are on the wrong side of 30 with Igor about to get paid (dr.evil face) 1 billion dollars after next year. This pick should've been gone 2 years ago let alone at this years deadline.

As I said, just more organizational ineptitude.
Hahaha. Well I DON’T agree that a 30OA has zero value to this organization. I was merely going with the gist of your contention. Personally, I think Emery may be a very important piece in 4-5 years, when with proper planning our window will still be open.
My original point was just that: we used the pick to help with our near future. It was NOT meaningless, and using the pick in a deal wouldn’t likely have put us over the top for next season. I’ve been watching this team since I was like 6, that’s 56 years. 3 or 4 years is a blink to me. Hahahaha. Building for the team I’ll be watching in 5 years means something to me. Maybe it doesn’t to you, and that’s fine buddy. We just have different perspectives, but it’s all good.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I don't know how I feel about this pick. I really didn't study anything for the draft this year so I a little uninformed.

But I dont know I like the idea of picking a dman with what seems to be zero offensive upside in the first round. is his defense really that good to make up for it?

Was there no centers that projected higher? or dmen that projected higher?

curious.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I don't know how I feel about this pick. I really didn't study anything for the draft this year so I a little uninformed.

But I dont know I like the idea of picking a dman with what seems to be zero offensive upside in the first round. is his defense really that good to make up for it?

curious.
NYR say he was the BPA at their pick. A shutdown d man is an important piece. And he went around where the consensus had him. However, it might not be COMPLETELY accurate to say he has no offensive upside. According to things I’ve read his offensive play was starting to come along a little, and I think he had 6 points in 7 games at the U20s.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

curious.
Reported to be the best defensive dman in the draft.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
NYR say he was the BPA at their pick. A shutdown d man is an important piece. And he went around where the consensus had him. However, it might not be COMPLETELY accurate to say he has no offensive upside. According to things I’ve read his offensive play was starting to come along a little, and I think he had 6 points in 7 games at the U20s.

Reported to be the best defensive dman in the draft.

Thank you both!

Reactions: bhamill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad