Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Egor Afanasyev for Ozzy Wiesblatt

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
I don't think it was more than a meh trade for both teams. Ozzy was slowly morphing into more of a Kunin/Dellandrea/Goodrow type but obviously we didn't need that.

He could end up being a solid 4th liner for a team like Nashville but probably not.
Look at those guys stats in the AHL and compare them to Wiesblatt's. Wiesblatt had worse production in the AHL than Matt Rempe.

Reactions: OversKy

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Is it really surprising that an incompetent nepo hire didn't draft the best players?
What are you talking about? He killed it!

DWJr.png

Reactions: rekrul

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
No doubt. I like the move, but I don't think it's gonna be a trade that ultimately ends up on the Grier board of biggest moves (whether good or bad). One thing you can't argue though is Grier is definitely being more aggressive in building a team of the players he wants vs the players that he needs to tank.
Oh definitely. I think this trade could be similar to the Reedy/Peterson trade but a little bit higher profile just based on it being a former first rounder.

Reactions: Cas

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
What are you talking about? He killed it!

View attachment 885941
In all fairness, There's like 3 competent NHLers drafted after Ozzy in the 2020 draft; Lohrei, Faber and Evangelista.

Oh definitely. I think this trade could be similar to the Reedy/Peterson trade but a little bit higher profile just based on it being a former first rounder.
Grier's only allowed a max number of former first rounders in the organization. Once Dellandrea was brought in that was it for Ozzy.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
It seems like the issue is Afanasyev will have to pass through waivers to go back to the AHL next season and Nashville has no faith that he would do so. Purely a numbers game as they have some other young guys to fit in who have performed more at the NHL level and are likely seeking at least one free agent winger: https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/nashv...ose-afanasyev-if-hes-not-given-an-opportunity

So pretty much just a numbers crunch for Afanasyev with the Preds. Love to see Grier pouncing on another team's roster challenges like this.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Bizarro world where criticizing DWJr's horrendous draft record and wanting to dump the rest of his bust squadron is apparently unserious
You're obsessed with him. Let it go. You're turning into a caricature. Your hatred for him permeates all your opinions and prevents you from being objective and formulating coherent arguments. Taking every chance you get to spit on DWJr's tenure in San Jose says more about you and the fact that he lives rent free in your brain than anything else. How exactly are you benefitting from this obsession?

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
It seems like the issue is Afanasyev will have to pass through waivers to go back to the AHL next season and Nashville has no faith that he would do so. Purely a numbers game as they have some other young guys to fit in who have performed more at the NHL level and are likely seeking at least one free agent winger: https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/nashv...ose-afanasyev-if-hes-not-given-an-opportunity

So pretty much just a numbers crunch for Afanasyev with the Preds. Love to see Grier pouncing on another team's roster challenges like this.
So this guy has a chance of being on the NHL roster next year? Great, cause we need the bodies.

Reactions: Hangemhigh

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
You're obsessed with him. Let it go. You're turning into a caricature. Your hatred for him permeates all your opinions and prevents you from being objective and formulating coherent arguments. Taking every chance you get to spit on DWJr's tenure in San Jose says more about you and the fact that he lives rent free in your brain than anything else. How exactly are you benefitting from this obsession?
How could I possibly bring up Junior in a thread about the unceremonious dumping of yet another one of his 1st round failures? I must be obsessed.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
How could I possibly bring up Junior in a thread about the unceremonious dumping of yet another one of his 1st round failures? I must be obsessed.
Amazing that you don't even realize that you're making my point for me. The trade is about the players exchanged and the possibility of Afanasyev having a future on the Sharks. It is not about the person who drafted Ozzy Wiesblatt and was fired 2 years ago. Zero objectivity, completely obsessed. Once again, how is this obsession benefitting you?

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I didn't live through the trauma that apparently shapes many posters' interactions with Hodge (or I did but don't remember?), but he's far from the only poster with a strong, consistent, borderline obsessive POV. I mean, we're all weirdos. And given the draft results from DWjr's tenure, it's not the worst hill to die on to criticize every one of his picks.

Eklund has turned out okay so far. That's literally the only success. That's a rough record.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
No familiarity with Afanasyev, but Weisblatt clearly didn't have a future here, good to move on

Maybe Afanasyev is nothing and we didn't lose anything, maybe he goes back to Russia and we open an additional contract slot, or maybe he contributes in some fashion, no matter what it's a smart move at this point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad