Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Cody Ceci and 2025 3rd for Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Surrounding the young guys with a good veteran presence is what everyone couldn’t stop talking about when Smith and Celebrini decided to sign and with this off-season, it’s been addressed quite well. They were never going to be good this year, it was all about protecting the young guys while they adapt

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Emberson would have been the 7th or 8th D if not moved in this deal. He would likely start the year behind Ceci, Benning, and Rutta. It is unlikely he would play 50 games even if healthy so the Sharks were going to lose him after this season anyways. Ceci is better than him this season so this is absolutely a win. Grier at worst will turn Emberson into 2 3rd round picks and possibly a 2nd and 3rd. That is great value for a waiver pickup who would be lost to UFA after this season.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
You, Bizz, themelkman, and maybe one or two others are highly vocal about hating Grier's trades.

I fail to see how that tabs out to "60/40 agree Grier is dog shit."

It's easy to write a sentence like this but it doesn't make it true: "the majority of pundits generally have opined Grier has lost the majority of his trades." Are the pundits in the room with us?

I'll happily look at any polls or data you have that contradicts. As it is, y'all are being a little overdramatic about this. At the very least, the recent Athletic fan poll disagrees with you.
It’s not just me, it’s the majority of the pundits as well. It’s a lot easier to find articles talking about how Grier is not getting enough on return then there’s to find one stating he did great. His best deal so far has been Wallman and the architect of that deal was Yzerman not Grier
The majority of posters on this board that are Grier fans are basically the anyone but Wilson crowd so they are turning a blind eye to his shortcomings, replace Griers name with Wilson on any of these trades and this board is going ballistic

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
It’s not just me, it’s the majority of the pundits as well. It’s a lot easier to find articles talking about how Grier is not getting enough on return then there’s to find one stating he did great. His best deal so far has been Wallman and the architect of that deal was Yzerman not Grier
The majority of posters on this board that are Grier fans are basically the anyone but Wilson crowd so they are turning a blind eye to his shortcomings, replace Griers name with Wilson on any of these trades and this board is going ballistic
Which trades should Grier not have made?

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
I personally think the Meier and Karlsson trades were very well done by Grier. The “pundits” like to grade them for their immediate effect on the team while Grier is making the moves with the future in mind. Since these trades were made, I feel like most of the “pundits” would probably agree that they are turning out quite nicely for the Sharks with the Hertl trade possibly following suit depending on where Vegas finishes the season.

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
There's a lot to unpack here, but if you think his best deal was Wallman; then you're the one turning a blind eye.

We're talking about a GM who was hampered by long-term contracts with high cap hits on aging players and no prospect pool to speak of. Also coupled with the fact that this is Griers 2nd year as a GM and in the world of business, doesn't have the managerial pedigree amongst his peers.

Criticizing managerial decisions should always be welcomed as it sparks discussion. But I think you'll have a hard time accepting any deal from any GM if all you believe in is "he should have gotten more".

Reactions: Jargon

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I don't think it's worth the time. The answer is typically "all of them should have had way more in return, everyone agrees with me."
I feel like these people don't grasp how close we were to ending up with, say, Reinbacher and Cayden Lindstrom from these last two drafts instead of Smith and Celebrini.

Criticize the Burns and Karlsson returns all you want but if we had kept those players while holding out for a greater return it would have certainly affected our lottery odds for the worse.

There would genuinely be no reason to watch or care about this team if we had finished just slightly higher in the standings and were counting on Ryan Leonard and Carter Yakemchuk to pull us out of this.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
We're talking about a GM who was hampered by long-term contracts with high cap hits on aging players and no prospect pool to speak of. Also coupled with the fact that this is Griers 2nd year as a GM and in the world of business, doesn't have the managerial pedigree amongst his peers.
Don't forget full or near full NMC

I feel like these people don't grasp how close we were to ending up with, say, Reinbacher and Cayden Lindstrom from these last two drafts instead of Smith and Celebrini.

Criticize the Burns and Karlsson returns all you want but if we had kept those players while holding out for a greater return it would have certainly affected our lottery odds for the worse.

There would genuinely be no reason to watch or care about this team if we had finished just slightly higher in the standings and were counting on Ryan Leonard and Carter Yakemchuk to pull us out of this.
I legit don't know how anyone could still be critical of the EK trade.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I personally think the Meier and Karlsson trades were very well done by Grier. The “pundits” like to grade them for their immediate effect on the team while Grier is making the moves with the future in mind. Since these trades were made, I feel like most of the “pundits” would probably agree that they are turning out quite nicely for the Sharks with the Hertl trade possibly following suit depending on where Vegas finishes the season.
The problem with the pundit class is that by their very definition, most trades are "win-win", but that message doesn't sell very well.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
The problem with the pundit class is that by their very definition, most trades are "win-win", but that message doesn't sell very well.
Exactly. Trades in the current NHL are mostly a mechanism for mutual problem-solving between teams but that narrative doesn't create clicks or sell subscriptions.

Reactions: Star Platinum

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Ceci isn’t as bad as some of the narratives on HFboards indicate. His poor play is more indicative of how bad Nurse is. Guy is a RD, great on PK, great in locker room who has 1 year at 3.25m. Hes not amazing or anything, but he shouldn’t have negative value.

Reactions: tiburon12

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Ceci isn’t as bad as some of the narratives on HFboards indicate. His poor play is more indicative of how bad Nurse is. Guy is a RD, great on PK, great in locker room who has 1 year at 3.25m. Hes not amazing or anything, but he shouldn’t have negative value.
He's gonna be even worse here then because the Sharks don't have anyone that's even as good as Nurse

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Interesting take:

Might Grier be looking to build up “goodwill” points around the league? He helps NYR big time by grabbing goodrow, and circumventing his nmc, which prevents getting actual assets for him now, but banks a lot of goodwill.

He now helps out Edmonton a lot on a deal that seems mostly considered a large underpayment (though maybe not).

Like all things, GMing is a relationship based business. You want the other side to like you and work with you. Grier might be utilizing his greatest asset, cap space, to build his brand around the league and when the time comes, get paid back. Kinda like how Laban. Took a 1 yr 1m deal years ago to help dw stay cap compliant. Then signed the bigger money and term deal the year after.

Perhaps Grier has two unwritten IOUs, like draft picks, for future deals.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Interesting take:

Might Grier be looking to build up “goodwill” points around the league? He helps NYR big time by grabbing goodrow, and circumventing his nmc, which prevents getting actual assets for him now, but banks a lot of goodwill.

He now helps out Edmonton a lot on a deal that seems mostly considered a large underpayment (though maybe not).

Like all things, GMing is a relationship based business. You want the other side to like you and work with you. Grier might be utilizing his greatest asset, cap space, to build his brand around the league and when the time comes, get paid back. Kinda like how Laban. Took a 1 yr 1m deal years ago to help dw stay cap compliant. Then signed the bigger money and term deal the year after.

I don't think it's so one-sided. Goodrow and Ceci are good vets to have in a younger room and in the case of them and Walman, he was able to get picks with those players to use the plenty of cap space that we have. As Hodge mentioned a few posts back, it's just mutual problem-solving between teams at different crossroads.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Interesting take:

He also helped Trotz by giving him something for Afanasyev who apparently Trotz knew was going to the KHL, even if that something is not of much value (Ozzy).

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Essentially, no one is expecting Ceci to be a savior for the defense, but he can eat some minutes and as you said has leadership/locker room culture value, which is as important as attempting to be good at hockey for the Sharks right now. Realistically, this is a win-win for both parties.

Reactions: Jargon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad