Player Discussion Shane Pinto (C) - PART 2

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Really thought they would get this done. Having it becoming a distraction when other priorities should be the focus is annoying.

No reason this can't wait, but seems like Pinto's camp is turning up the heat. Doesn't want to get squeezed and left until the end like last season. Understandable from both sides.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Well, I hope we have enough people in the office to handle negotiations with Pinto and looking for deals on the UFA market today.

Then again, it sounds like most of the premier blueliners are already signing deals...and before noon, at that.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Dorion has single handedly destroyed our progress.
I HATE Pierre Dorion. You fing idiot.
(We should have never been in this situation)

Last edited:

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
Dude is rfa fresh off a 41gm suspension for gambling.
Wtf.

Who are these greedy mfers??!!

In before

Wpg
Pinto

Ottawa
Mcgroarty
2nd **

**sens make finals

Oy.

#wheresthebridge

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
If Pinto asks for a trade I just let him sit out. Kid has barely played, gets suspended for gambling, and wants to cash in.

Stay home in Long Island for another 41 games.

Asking for a trade means there’s no offer sheet out there. Guess other teams don’t think he’s as valuable as he apparently does either.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Connor McMichael just signed a 2 year, 2.1M per bridge with Washington. He's the same age and same draft class as Pinto. Similar stat lines as well.

Good comparable.

Reactions: Micklebot

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Connor McMichael just signed a 2 year, 2.1M per bridge with Washington. He's the same age and same draft class as Pinto. Similar stat lines as well.

Good comparable.

Pinto played a bit of a higher role with Norris out this season, and projecting forward to this year Pinto is possibly slotted in as a two-way 2C if there is any uncertainty around the recovery or future performance of Norris. I think both those two things play into him being in a position to ask for more.

Ultimately, he really got screwed around last year because Dorion mismanaged the cap. The suspension saved the team from dealing with that. We don't know how reasonable both sides are being with this current negotiation, or who might be at fault for it dragging, but looking at the Senators current cap they are in a similar situation again where they don't have very much cap flexibility because they have multiple needs to address, and they also have multiple contracts Dorion signed or traded for that they either can't move, or it seems like they can't move in a productive way for appropriate value (Chychrun).

This isn't exactly the same as last year where there was no avenue to sign Pinto short of a close to league minimum deal, but I can see why the player and agent might be frustrated (if) they are being somewhat reasonable.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
100% a negotiation strategy.

Last year, Pinto got painted into a corner when we signed Tarasenko.

It's no coincidence that his agent is coming out with this stuff AN HOUR BEFORE FREE AGENCY.

His agent is just saying be careful in free agency and do not to leave Pinto last again.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Dude is rfa fresh off a 41gm suspension for gambling.
Wtf.

Who are these greedy mfers??!!

In before

Wpg
Pinto

Ottawa
Mcgroarty
2nd **

**sens make finals

Oy.

#wheresthebridge
It's honestly unbelievable that Pinto is pulling this shit 41 games removed from a half-season suspension.

Reactions: senswon

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I
That would be a horrible trade, Pageau is aging out & Walstrom has yet to accomplish anything at the NHL level & more likely won't. Pinto is a star in the making as the headline indicates & should command much, much more than that. I think they find a way to re-sign him, likely a bridge deal, but it won't be today.
think we have about $5.2M available, perhaps less due to Sanderson's bonuses.

We need to sign a 13th Forward, a 7th Defenceman and Pinto. That does not leave a lot for Pinto.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I

think we have about $5.2M available, perhaps less due to Sanderson's bonuses.

We need to sign a 13th Forward, a 7th Defenceman and Pinto. That does not leave a lot for Pinto.
Still have to trade Joseph too which might free up a little more but they also have some dead cap & need to leave space for callups. It's going to be another tight cap yr.

Reactions: Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad