Player Discussion Shane Pinto (C) - PART 2

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Canes fan coming in peace, what do you guys think about a Pinto for Necas swap? Feel like it might be an ok way for both teams to get decent returns in a change of scenery deal.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
If he was offered and there was an unprotected 1st as compensation, I'd have to think very very hard about it, maybe even leaning towards accepting the compensation. Almost any 1RP (if we're talking bottom half of the round) could easily end up being a Pinto (albeit without all the development we've done with him) but an unprotected 1RP could end up being a lottery pick. Shit happens all the time in this league. Teams have unexpectedly bad seasons all the time. It's really really hard to say no to an unprotected 1RP. Even for a guy like Pinto.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Feels like something that comes out to prime is for a Pinto trade.

I could see Laughton+Bonk from Philadelphia, with the logic being it's better than a 1st+3rd. Something like that.

Someone is going to get a nice deal if we move him.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Feels like something that comes out to prime is for a Pinto trade.

I could see Laughton+Bonk from Philadelphia, with the logic being it's better than a 1st+3rd. Something like that.

Someone is going to get a nice deal if we move him.
Add Chychrun for Frost and Farabe

Or Pinto + Chychrun for Rutger + Ehlers + Pionk

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
I wish I knew what numbers were being thrown around at the negotiation table. I don't think 4 mil is an insulting offer. Over 5 is probably above market for pure RFA years based on the Mittelstadt contract. That said if he signs a 6 mil + offersheet I'd match, but he's clearly not earned that yet. He has to play more games. If the team is offering 3 mil then yeah I understand why Pinto's party would be upset.

Canes fan coming in peace, what do you guys think about a Pinto for Necas swap? Feel like it might be an ok way for both teams to get decent returns in a change of scenery deal.

We need the center here, especially with Norris a perpetual question mark. Center is just too hard a position to fill externally. If we trade Pinto and Norris continues to be a lemon, our second line center is Greig who has barely played a full NHL season and it wasn't even all at center.

Reactions: robbieberns

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I dunno I feel it’s Pinto’s right to seek an over sheet.

Quit bringing up the gambling suspension he atoned for that with a league min contract for a half season.

Here is hoping a team gives him an offersheet with term and not something structured to get him to free agency asap like Debrincat and M Tkachuk

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

I don't think Pinto wants a change of scenery, all things being equal. This is more just his agent using the leverage they have.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Here is hoping a team gives him an offersheet with term and not something structured to get him to free agency asap like Debrincat and M Tkachuk
If they were smart, and thought they had a chance to get him as a UFA they would.

But this feels like an agent putting public pressure on the team more than anything.

The way things are trending in the league, it's safer to draft a Russian than an American. The league needs to change contract structures and limited the number of clauses that each team can give out.
Couldn't agree more. A blind man could see the issues for Canadian teams if this continues. At minimum, a hard limit on the number of nmc/ntc contracts on a team.

No league can survive if a group of teams are consistently working at a disadvantage.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
The way things are trending in the league, it's safer to draft a Russian than an American. The league needs to change contract structures and limited the number of clauses that each team can give out.
I think this is going to be a major issue in the next round of CBA negotiations. A big enough deal that it will probably lead to a lockout.

What do you give the players in return for limiting control of their careers? Even earlier free agency? An ever bigger share of the revenue pie?

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I think this is going to be a major issue in the next round of CBA negotiations. A big enough deal that it will probably lead to a lockout.

What do you give the players in return for limiting control of their careers? Even earlier free agency? An ever bigger share of the revenue pie?
What do owners get for limiting control of thier teams? You have rfa that have full control. Only willing to sign long term with certain teams. Every player wants whatever clause they can grab. The club has to take a loss on the trade. It's a mess. Maybe Vegas is right. Fck the draft. Get players that are 25-27 and then dump 'em when they suck. People say it's a ruthless organization...well it's a two way street.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The NBA has taken huge steps with their CBA to limit big markets/big spenders from dominating talent like they have. I hope the NHL does the same. Some of the names that you hear about having trade protection feels like it's gone off the rails and quite frankly, I don't think the choice should be in the players' hands as much as it is. You're in the pro's, suck it up.

Reactions: Relapsing

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
The NBA has taken huge steps with their CBA to limit big markets/big spenders from dominating talent like they have. I hope the NHL does the same. Some of the names that you hear about having trade protection feels like it's gone off the rails and quite frankly, I don't think the choice should be in the players' hands as much as it is. You're in the pro's, suck it up.
It's thier damn fault! They fckd it all up. Lol.

Reactions: SENStastic

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
I like Pinto a lot, but at some point he's more problem than he's worth. We burned an ELC year for him, then 5 games for his shoulder, then a hold out and 41 game suspension, now he's pushing for an offer sheet?

Na.

Reactions: Crosside

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Remember when Lebron had a tv special to announce where he was signing? Players sign 4 year deals then opt out after 2. Super teams. The NBA thought it was great coverage and exciting until 3/4 of the teams couldn't keep or get players.
If memory serves me correctly though, it was the players that pushed for the short term deals only in that CBA that lowered it to max 5 and 4 with option years, no?

In general though, yes, they are attempting to clean up the mess of the last 20 years they didn't seem to mind arguably starting with the Celtics even though they traded in, that then led to Lebron to the Heat, and culminated with GSW basically cheating competition when they added KD after the cap spike. It became too obvious during the Cavs/Warriors rivalry with only 2 teams in the league having a real shot basically known from training camp, with 1 of them in GSW still an overwhelming favorite over the other.

Reactions: Loach

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
How far apart can they be??? I get an agent using the only leverage they have to get something done before the bucket hold-out option, particularly if Ottawa is acting in bad faith. But it seems like Ottawa has been supportive of Pinto at every misfortune (or bad decision) and it appears they seem as a core piece. So again, how far apart can they be really??

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00