Player Discussion Shane Pinto (C) - PART 2

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
When was that?

From what he has shown already Pinto is going to be a great player. He isn't just showing a few flashes here and there, he is a showing a structured game and an incredible IQ.

He isn't shying away physically and he has made room to get his shot off a few times already as well.

Still can't believe there was a thought his skating was a weakness (or even, "his weakest skill") - he is quick, agile and strong on his skates.

Feels good after all these years of prospects to watch a few come in and look legit pretty much right away with others that seem close to showing the same.

I thought he came back to earth a bit in game two (to be expected) but still played just fine.

His skating stride is a bit wonky but he gets around well so it shouldn't be an issue. He'll have a fairly long NHL career.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I thought he came back to earth a bit in game two (to be expected) but still played just fine.

His skating stride is a bit wonky but he gets around well so it shouldn't be an issue. He'll have a fairly long NHL career.

I'm always curious to see how deferential and passive a player is in their first stint in the NHL.

Pinto didn't seem to mind leading the rush and making plays. Great to see.

I think it's easier when you feel like you're playing amongst your peers, as opposed to playing with a bunch of guys who are old enough to be your Dad.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
When was that?

From what he has shown already Pinto is going to be a great player. He isn't just showing a few flashes here and there, he is a showing a structured game and an incredible IQ.

He isn't shying away physically and he has made room to get his shot off a few times already as well.

Still can't believe there was a thought his skating was a weakness (or even, "his weakest skill") - he is quick, agile and strong on his skates.

Feels good after all these years of prospects to watch a few come in and look legit pretty much right away with others that seem close to showing the same.
About a month ago. Turns out our boy Bochenski is a mayor in South Dakota. When Duthoe asked who Sens fans should be most hyped about between Pinto, Sanderson, and JBD, Bochenski was all over Pinto.

Reactions: OD99

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
About a month ago. Turns out our boy Bochenski is a mayor in South Dakota. When Duthoe asked who Sens fans should be most hyped about between Pinto, Sanderson, and JBD, Bochenski was all over Pinto.

Grand Forks, which is where the World Juniors were held a ways back and was inundated from people from Winnipeg.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

Agree on the first part but ties in to the point I was trying to make. He was still noticeable in a positive way with positioning, defensive plays and a few good offensive plays.

Not sure I agree on the 2nd part - he isn't Chabot or silky smooth but has that wide base and a powerful stride that gives him a solid foundation and tough to knock over.

Admit I am full on Sens coloured glasses right now...has been enjoyable watching the team play and the UND guys step in and look like we hoped. Don't care about draft position as it will be low enough to snag a very good piece regardless so hoping we keep playing strong and in the end help keep the Leafs from 1st in division.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I'm always curious to see how deferential and passive a player is in their first stint in the NHL.

Pinto didn't seem to mind leading the rush and making plays. Great to see.

I think it's easier when you feel like you're playing amongst your peers, as opposed to playing with a bunch of guys who are old enough to be your Dad.

It's really obvious that this kid has oodles of confidence. I love to see it. Here's hoping the coaching staff let him run with that a little bit.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Agree on the first part but ties in to the point I was trying to make. He was still noticeable in a positive way with positioning, defensive plays and a few good offensive plays.

Not sure I agree on the 2nd part - he isn't Chabot or silky smooth but has that wide base and a powerful stride that gives him a solid foundation and tough to knock over.

Admit I am full on Sens coloured glasses right now...has been enjoyable watching the team play and the UND guys step in and look like we hoped. Don't care about draft position as it will be low enough to snag a very good piece regardless so hoping we keep playing strong and in the end help keep the Leafs from 1st in division.

I though his knees were out a little bit more than is ideal but you're right it's not bad and it's obviously effective. I'm sure if the team thinks it's a concern they'll work with him on that.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

man I thought he showed even more in game 2.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Grand Forks, which is where the World Juniors were held a ways back and was inundated from people from Winnipeg.

I didnt see his 'Brandon Bochenski pre season MVP' award in the background of his zoom call though sadly.

Reactions: NyQuil

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
He's skating out there like he's a ten year pro. No shakiness, a couple of nice takeaways, good stick work.
Once he settles in to his new team/linemates I would wager he starts piling in the points.
Haven't seen his shot yet though.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
He's skating out there like he's a ten year pro. No shakiness, a couple of nice takeaways, good stick work.
Once he settles in to his new team/linemates I would wager he starts piling in the points.
Haven't seen his shot yet though.

He should be a good option on PP in the OV spot.

I also see him pile up the points after he gets acclimated here. I'd like to see them try:

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - Pinto - C. Brown
Formenton - Paul - White
Dzingel - Tierney - Dadonov

I think Stutzle would benefit from having both Brown and Pinto by his side, two guys that are structurally sound and that can play with speed. Pinto is great on faceoffs which means more time of possession and he drives the play, C. Brown is a hound and probably our best two-way player. I think having these two guys with Stutzle will open up the play for him and allow him to play more with the puck than without which has been an issue. I would get him away from Dadonov since he doesn't provide a whole lot of value when he doesn't have the puck and has a hard time creating when he has it. Both Dadonov and Stutzle need guys that will drive the play with them right now, I don't see the fit there at all. I think in time Stutzle will drive the play but he needs serious help right now, he's not there yet.

I also think White is a better fit on the wing.

Right about now I would scratch Dadonov to give a shot to Abramov. Time to send him a message, he has been extremely poor this season and if the coach is serious about accountability then Dadonov should be out of the lineup. I have a hard time believing he'd be hard to replace, I'd bet some guys on our AHL team would yield better results than he does with and without the puck.

Last edited:

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Poulin: You've heard of power forwards, Pinto's going to be a power centre

Dave Poulin had some nice stuff to say about Pinto, mainly from talking to coaches and people from the college scene and observations from the Montreal game.

Also, made a point about JBD that I think is easy for us to overlook with young players in that we forget how much practices play in guys coming in and out of the lineup. Even if a guy looks like he's better in game he may be not having great practices, not picking up stuff the coaches are telling him, or still working on stuff the coaches want to see before getting games. If the coaches only see you as 10% better than the next guy in games and you are still working on stuff in practice then you likely aren't going to be a shoe in for a spot on the team.

Reactions: NB613

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Also, made a point about JBD that I think is easy for us to overlook with young players in that we forget how much practices play in guys coming in and out of the lineup. Even if a guy looks like he's better in game he may be not having great practices, not picking up stuff the coaches are telling him, or still working on stuff the coaches want to see before getting games. If the coaches only see you as 10% better than the next guy in games and you are still working on stuff in practice then you likely aren't going to be a shoe in for a spot on the team.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Kid looks so polished,the offense should come as he just he just seems to have a grasp on the pro game

El Diego

Jan 2, 2009

Bochenski has had a bit of an interesting life. Before becoming a mayor in North Dakota, he went over to Kazahkstan and captained Astana Barys, retiring as the all time top scoring foreigner in KHL history. He also played for the Kazakh national team and captained them to promotion back into the Worlds in 2019.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Bochenski has had a bit of an interesting life. Before becoming a mayor in North Dakota, he went over to Kazahkstan and captained Astana Barys, retiring as the all time top scoring foreigner in KHL history. He also played for the Kazakh national team and captained them to promotion back into the Worlds in 2019.
I got to be honest, it sounds a lot more interesting then my life.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

You forgot about his underage counterfeiting.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
It's really obvious that this kid has oodles of confidence. I love to see it. Here's hoping the coaching staff let him run with that a little bit.
I agree. But i also distinctly remember Brian Lee pulling off a nice end-to-end rush in his first game too.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Its going to be interesting to watch Pinto and his progression.

Is he a 35 point player, 40 point player, 50, more?

Time will tell, and it will be fun to watch it unfold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad