Value of: Shai Buium to Minnesota

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Having family members on the same team can be problematic, because usually one is more talented than the other. If Shai is stuck in Iowa, and isn't playing with Zeev, do you risk alienating the family? If Shai(who appears likely to be a fringe NHL'er) makes the NHL team, is there grumbling on the team that he gets preferential treatment because of his brother?

The Sedins, Richards, Mahovlichs were a different because they were all terrific hockey players, so those issues didn't come up.

Scott was clearly the more prominent Niedermayer. But he walked to Anaheim when he could because his brother was there, and I sometimes wonder if the Devils had acquired Rob on the cheap when they could have, if Scott would have stayed in New Jersey and won several more cups there.

Mar 31, 2005
East Coast
Funny thing about this thread, has anybody talked about the reverse? Why DET didn't jump up from 15 to draft Ze'ev, assuming they would use their 2nd to beat MIN's offer and moving up 2 more spots. I know DET has Edvinsson on the left side and MBN is a good fit and all that, but maybe DET fans can fill me in if it made no sense.

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Funny thing about this thread, has anybody talked about the reverse? Why DET didn't jump up from 15 to draft Ze'ev, assuming they would use their 2nd to beat MIN's offer and moving up 2 more spots. I know DET has Edvinsson on the left side and MBN is a good fit and all that, but maybe DET fans can fill me in if it made no sense.
Wings already have an offensive D man coming up in Axel Sandin Pellikka and needed a power forward, MBN was that.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
It's just a weird thing to say in a thread about a prospect that likely isn't going to crack Detroit's top 10 prospect list...
I mean, the whole damn thread is weird. Teams want brothers on their teams as players/prospects when they are all very good at hockey.

Sedins, Staals, Neidermayers, Sutters, Stasnys, etc.

But this weird HF obsession with "THIS GUY AND THIS GUY BOTH CAME OUT OF THIS LADY'S VAGINA, TEAMS SHOULD WANT THEM BOTH" is just ridiculous. A guy has a brother in the NHL or in juniors and you can guaran-damn-tee that there will be at least one and probably many threads trying to get them in the same place.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
DeepSouth of PNW
I mean, the whole damn thread is weird. Teams want brothers on their teams as players/prospects when they are all very good at hockey.

Sedins, Staals, Neidermayers, Sutters, Stasnys, etc.

But this weird HF obsession with "THIS GUY AND THIS GUY BOTH CAME OUT OF THIS LADY'S VAGINA, TEAMS SHOULD WANT THEM BOTH" is just ridiculous. A guy has a brother in the NHL or in juniors and you can guaran-damn-tee that there will be at least one and probably many threads trying to get them in the same place.
Why is it so weird? There are hundreds of registered users on HFBoards and there is nothing newsworthy coming from the NHL beside a scandal here and there. If threads of this stripe are so ridiculous to you, why are you reading and interacting with it? THAT is a weird HF obsession as well.

Shai's size and skillset is something sorely lacking in our defense prospect pool, and Digitalbooya didn't frame it as re-uniting brothers thread.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Just a player we’re fairly confident makes the NHL and helps a team win games. Doesn’t have to be a star, just a player who matters
I mean, maybe? He's got a great frame, skating isn't a problem, decent stats in college (2 titles), and exactly 1 game of pro experience.

His biggest obstacle is that the Wings have a trio of LD with significantly more pro experience ahead of him in the pecking order. Edvinsson, Albert Johansson and William Wallinder. I don't foresee him being better than Edvinsson, but he could theoretically slot in anywhere behind Simon. Getting an opportunity will be the problem as Chiarot, Maatta, and Gustafsson are also LD on the roster...

Reactions: Sombastate

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Sutters probably was the most brothers to play in NHL at 6 players. I mean of actually playing NHL games not just few games.
That would be fair if the 3 brothers I listed and you quoted, only played “just a few NHL games”.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
and the Statsny brothers. what a couple of scrubs those guys were.

The question was the last time there were two and it worked. The Jones brothers kinda worked but it was closer to the Oreilly brothers than the Staals.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
That would be fair if the 3 brothers I listed and you quoted, only played “just a few NHL games”.
Had nothing to do with the brothers you listed but for quantity and duration. If we heard of them means they played enough games.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Had nothing to do with the brothers you listed but for quantity and duration. If we heard of them means they played enough games.
I don’t even know what you’re trying to say.

I listed 3 of the best combos, and there are others, that have been also mentioned already, so didn’t repeat those.
Not to mention the 6 Sutter brothers never played on the same team at the same time.

Reactions: Marlowe Syn

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
Why do people always want to unite brothers on the same team? Where has it worked long-term anywhere besides the Sedins in Vancouver?

May be because we see it so rarely? You don't see it anywhere else long-term, or for any term, because it's not given a chance.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
DeepSouth of PNW
Just a player we’re fairly confident makes the NHL and helps a team win games. Doesn’t have to be a star, just a player who matters
Now granted I just did an internet look up of Shai's scouting report and a couple of YouTube videos. He looks to my amateur eye have a top4 all situation skillset ceiling. I believe either Pronman or Wheeler called him a high floor/low ceiling player during his draft. He's seems to be adapting and adjusting every time he does moves up in hockey tiers. I could see him pushing that ceiling higher.

Being developed by Shattuck-St. Mary and later the Denver University hockey program, arguably the best in the NCAA universe, certainly is a good sign. Detroit is pretty notorious for trying the slow bake style of development. Which usually seems to be the best approach for moist young defensemen.

Last name not with standing I wouldn't have an issue at all with a real world fair value deal to go down between Detroit and Minnesota. The Wild do have plenty of forward prospects, especially at wing if that is of interest. Let make a drug deal!

Last edited:

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
For young players being more comfortable in an organization. Extra motivation it causes players. Maybe to incentivize signing a player who may want to sign elsewhere because they don’t have any ties to a team that just selects a player in the draft. If they have family in the organization it makes it easier for that player.
Doesn’t always work. Treliving meddling with family/business with the Hamilton brothers is one of his biggest blunders as Flames GM. Why? Because waiving/trading the older yet inferior Hamilton caused the younger, more talented Hamilton to be disgruntled. It was so poorly handled we flipped him for other players, but at the same time we shouldn’t have had to do that. F. Hamilton wasn’t that special.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Now granted I just did an internet look up of Shai's scouting report and a couple of YouTube videos. He looks to my amateur eye have a top4 all situation skillset ceiling. I believe either Pronman or Wheeler called him a high floor/low ceiling player during his draft. He's seems to be adapting and adjusting every time he does moves up in hockey tiers. I could see him pushing that ceiling higher.

Being developed by Shattuck-St. Mary and later the Denver University hockey program, arguably the best in the NCAA universe, certainly is a good sign. Detroit is pretty notorious for trying the slow bake style of development. Which usually seems to be the best approach for moist young defensemen.

Last name not with standing I wouldn't have an issue at all with a real world fair value deal to go down between Detroit and Minnesota. The Wild do have plenty of forward prospects, especially at wing if that is of interest. Let make a drug deal!

Whatcha got in mind?

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
DeepSouth of PNW
That's the challenge isn't it? Liam Ohgren I think would very much interest Detroit, but I think that is too high of a price. Even if I do like Shai's game.

Hunter Haight
-or-
Rieger Lorenz

I'm sure my fellow Wilders will fling some poo in my direction

If you want defense prospects we have those to spare too. Just under the impression forwards are more important to the Wings pool

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $871.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00