NHL to look at Mexico as an expansion of the Latino fanbase

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I'd be really surprised if expansion is complete. But if it is it won't be because 32 is a nice number or division/conference alignment. Do you have a deep pockets owner, enough corporate support, and people willing to spend lots of money on NHL tickets? BAM new NHL team number 33.

I do not hope or else the NHL should be divided into two levels : NHL 1 and NHL 2 with promotions / descents. Too much expansion harms the level of competition and disperses talent.

In this case, the NHL could consider dozens of expansion.

I would be the NHL, I would invade the European market to definitively crush all competition.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I love the idea. It's really smart too. Just like how the Raptors and Jays create a ton of Canadian baseball fans, you'd think the only Mexican hockey team could get a fan base across Mexico. That would help if the local support in any area isn't super strong, even the city the team is based in,

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I love the idea. It's really smart too. Just like how the Raptors and Jays create a ton of Canadian baseball fans, you'd think the only Mexican hockey team could get a fan base across Mexico. That would help if the local support in any area isn't super strong, even the city the team is based in,

Like all of those Expo fans? That team started in 1969 IIRC.

The Expos fans were booing the umpires in 1970. It shows how fast they picked up the game.

There just wasn't enough of them at Jarry Park or the Big O.

An exhibition game or two a season sounds okay.

I don't expect to see a NHL team in Mexico in my lifetime and I am expecting another 30 years.

Dynamite Kid

Jun 26, 2018
With the Cartel down there, I wouldn't bet on the team at all.

Mexican Jumping Beans LOL

1725895280111.jpeg

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Like all of those Expo fans? That team started in 1969 IIRC.

The Expos fans were booing the umpires in 1970. It shows how fast they picked up the game.

There just wasn't enough of them at Jarry Park or the Big O.

I know this post is from 3 years ago, but I've seen it a few times and it bugged me each time.

Montreal has a long, long history with baseball. Montreal fans didn't just "pick up the game" once the Expos came to town.

Let me tell you about the Montreal Royals. They existed from 1928 through 1960, and were the AAA affiliate for the Brooklyn Dodgers. They were probably most famous for being the first pro team to break the colour barrier with Jackie Robinson in 1946. Robinson then went on to break the MLB colour barrier the following year.

Reactions: Bondurant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad