GDT: SF - CAN vs. SUI May 25, 2024

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Losing is one thing, how is Damon Severson or Owen Power ever an option in the opening rounds of a shootout?

Oddly enough, I remember a discussion early in the tournament involving Mike Johnson about how the defence had a better shootout percentage than most of the forwards (albeit with few attempts).

The team was a good cycling team but as far as stickhandling and puck skillls, it was weak.

In any event, you’d think Tavares would get a go as the Captain.

Reactions: therealdeal

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Oddly enough, I remember a discussion early in the tournament involving Mike Johnson about how the defence had a better shootout percentage than most of the forwards (albeit with few attempts).

The team was a good cycling team but as far as stickhandling and puck skillls, it was weak.

In any event, you’d think Tavares would get a go as the Captain.

Or any of the other forwards.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Or any of the other forwards.

It was a weak team from a stick-handling skill point of view.

It was a strong team from a cycling point of view.

A bit different from some of our past teams, but shootouts were going to be a weakness.

Tavares is 1 for 10 in shootouts in his career, so it's not like we were leaving ringers on the shelf.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
Losing is one thing, how is Damon Severson or Owen Power ever an option in the opening rounds of a shootout?

From doing a quick search, Severson, Power and Dubois are the only players on this team to have scored multiple NHL shootout goals in the past 8 years. Bedard is 1 in 1 from last year. Tavares hasn't scored one since 2016 (0 in 5 since).

This really wasn't a team set up for a shootout victory.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
poo boy berard also in tournaments visiting bench after while. home team at nhl he playing in shelter and in very bad team playing almost 30min game. he monomemtal -54 in nhl saying all. hes right place at least 1 season farm league of sort. he looking lost with men. saying no more.go home berard

sir avgard hocleyprofessor

The thing about Bedard momentum playing the team about minutes within though. And for the rest in the tournament of the wow you know! Yes

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
I had fallen asleep watching (it was maybe 3am here, was exhausted). Not surprised at all that Canada equalised. Surprised that they did not then bring it to a victorious conclusion. Well, congratulations Switzerland, see you in the final. Commiserations Canada, shootout losses are always very hard to take.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It was a weak team from a stick-handling skill point of view.

It was a strong team from a cycling point of view.

A bit different from some of our past teams, but shootouts were going to be a weakness.

Tavares is 1 for 10 in shootouts in his career, so it's not like we were leaving ringers on the shelf.

You still don't put a defender not known for scoring in the shootout.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
You still don't put a defender not known for scoring in the shootout.
You do when he is the best option. Power was probably the closest to scoring of those who didn't. Great move except for the last bit.

All things considered, this was a pretty well build Hocky team. Just not a great skill competition team.

Reactions: Old Man Jags

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Interesting fact :
Since 2015, Canada didn't go to the final twice (including this year.
Each time, it was the Swiss !

We are Canada's cryptonite !! :)
While not as important obviously, you can add the 2-0 Canadian defeat on the best-on-best 2006 Olympics, with no NHL players on the Swiss team, and the absolute best that Canada could field.
And not bad was again in the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, when Canada only won 3-2 in a shoot out (courtesy of a penalty shot scored by Sidney Crosby). Again, best on best.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
While not as important obviously, you can add the 2-0 Canadian defeat on the best-on-best 2006 Olympics, with no NHL players on the Swiss team, and the absolute best that Canada could field.
And not bad was again in the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, when Canada only won 3-2 in a shoot out (courtesy of a penalty shot scored by Sidney Crosby). Again, best on best.
People forget these things often. Especially NHL fans when they don't see 20 NHLers on a squad and assume that it will look like the US dream team in basketball playing Mongolia. Unfortunately, Gary Bettman is one of those NHL Fans.lol

Every best on best Olympics showed us how close it is. Czechs won the first won with half an NHL roster. Finn's won the most medals. US couldn't win one. Canada went medalless in 2 of them. Latvia took Canada to a nailbiter too. They also took my Czechs to an OT in an elimination match.

It all drives me crazy.lol

Reactions: BruinLVGA

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
People forget these things often. Especially NHL fans when they don't see 20 NHLers on a squad and assume that it will look like the US dream team in basketball playing Mongolia. Unfortunately, Gary Bettman is one of those NHL Fans.lol

Every best on best Olympics showed us how close it is. Czechs won the first won with half an NHL roster. Finn's won the most medals. US couldn't win one. Canada went medalless in 2 of them. Latvia took Canada to a nailbiter too. They also took my Czechs to an OT in an elimination match.

It all drives me crazy.lol
I agree. All I said and you said points to the fact that there should be more respect towards all nations, instead of being dismissive, like one can see so often.

Reactions: Czechboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad