GDT: SF - CAN vs. SUI May 25, 2024

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
They are the most error prone guys on the team.

That's the reason. Whether you agree or not, is a personal opinion I guess.
Note I didn't write "best", but "creative" and "dynamic". Most of Team Canada just tries to play rather simple cycling in the O-zone, which just doesn't work against the Swiss. They're very disciplined on their own end and just dump the puck if they see no real chance of getting a controlled breakout.

Bedard and Zellweger, though, try to use more of a finesse approach and try to use the whole broadth of the ice, changing the wings to play on constantly and therefore force the Swiss out of position.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Exactly. It has more to do with all the success Canada has had. They have won enough and its better for the sport to see others have a chance to win something that matters to them heck of a lot more than Canadians. This tournament means so much more to Europeans than people in North America.
I agree with this in general but not for me! I enjoy this tourney just as much as the WJC's which is almost more exciting than Christmas in Ontario.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Bedard and Zellweger, though, try to use more of a finesse approach and try to use the whole broadth of the ice, changing the wings to play on constantly and therefore force the Swiss out of position.

It's a fine balance between opening it up to get back into the game and making the lead even larger.

We'll see if they start to gamble more as the minutes click down.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I agree with this in general but not for me! I enjoy this tourney just as much as the WJC's which is almost more exciting than Christmas in Ontario.
I have tons of respect for Canadians who enjoy watching this tournament. I remember hearing all the stuff "its Skoda cup", "it doesn't matter" etc.

Reactions: jj cale and Smif

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I have tons of respect for Canadians who enjoy watching this tournament. I remember hearing all the stuff "its Skoda cup", "it doesn't matter" etc.

I think most Canadians take umbrage with the idea that the winner of the World Championships is the best hockey nation in the world, which is often alleged afterwards.

Now that more and more European countries are represented in the NHL (and whose players are therefore occasionally missing from the WCs), I think that argument has dissipated somewhat.

It's a fun annual tournament for national pride and to see different faces every year. I'm glad it isn't a best-on-best because those should be more sporadic and special IMO.

It's not like the FIFA World Cup Finals happen every year.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
While listening to the swiss intermission i learned one thing:
They don't speak german (no they did not speak french).

Its easier to understand dutch than what they talk about.
During the game i understand everything. But I did not understand more than 10 sentences during the last interview.

Can I get subtitles?

Reactions: Summer Rose

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
People don't know what they're missing, it's NHL calibre hockey but in winner take all format. Sure, it's not best on best, but a great product none the less.

I think people who don't follow it aren't aware of the quality of the hockey being played, even by some of the more minor countries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad