Proposal: Severson and Tatar to Tampa Bay Lightning

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Poor asset management if the Bolts overpay for a player that they don't even need, more likely we try to find a role player. A strong defensive defender that can eat 10-15 minutes should be significantly cheaper to acquire.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I like Tuna a lot, but he has been benched his last two playoff runs. So not sure why he would be a target for a playoff bound team unless they really lacked depth at W.

I never saw someone so snake bit as TT was in the 2020 playoffs, in which he was not benched. He played in all 10 games. Dude hit more posts than you shake a stick at. 2021 was not good. Pandemic related or not, his game has fallen off from his first two years in Montreal.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Only Holtz can replace Sharangovich's production, and I'm not sure if he is ready next season. Those other guys are likely bottom 6 players or they (mainly Gritsyuk) aren't ready in a couple of years. And it's uncertain if Fitz can get a good TOP6 forward this year.

Sharangovich is a cheap, young forward who has potential to be a 30 goal scorer. I just think it would be stupid to trade him for a late first round pick.
I agree Even if he only produces 20 goals a year makes no sense to trade a young productive winger who actually is playing real NHL minutes for question marks....SMH

Reactions: Monsieur Verdoux

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Disagree on Severson, he's a top 4 defender on a 48 point pace, you get him for two playoff runs at a $2 million price tag. I don't think there's a better upgrade out there than that.

Tatar I do agree, I actually don't think he's even worth a 2nd round pick.

How is this proposal?

Severson @ 50% ($2.1 million cap hit for Tampa, this year and next)
Sharangovich @ 50% ($1 million cap hit for Tampa, this year and next)

for

2022, 2023 1st round pick
Jack Thompson

Sharangovich is only 23 and is an arbitration eligible RFA at the end of his contract in 2023. TB can either extend him or recoup assets at that point.

NJ might have to take salary back to make it work, not sure what that looks like.
Why do you want to move these 2 players? Looks like a very bad move for Jersey if you ask me, but I don't tune into NJ games very often. Tampa's first are likely very late firsts again, Jack Thompson is nothing special... I don't get it Sharangovich and Severson are good contributors no?

Reactions: Bet the Over

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Yeah, it's no secret how HF feels about Severson. I hope GMs are a little brighter or we'll end up with a lousy return for a really good defenseman.

My question is, why are the Devils trying to trade a "really good" RH shot D-men with good size at 4M for 1 more year? Like I'm not trying to be a "hater" but this guy is not a good defense man, he's the opposite. I watch him and see a right handed Jake Gardiner.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Most Devils fans expect Severson won't resign with the team in Summer 2023, he's been with NJ throughout the entire rebuild and a lot of people think he wants to move on to a contender.

Trading him now while he still has some term left would result in more value (like they did with Blake Coleman). His cap hit is excellent for what he provides, he's the right age to be either a rental or be extended if the team acquiring him wants to.

He's definitely not worth two firsts and a good prospect though. Trading him now would surely net a 1st + though.

Reactions: HBK27

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Why do you want to move these 2 players? Looks like a very bad move for Jersey if you ask me, but I don't tune into NJ games very often. Tampa's first are likely very late firsts again, Jack Thompson is nothing special... I don't get it Sharangovich and Severson are good contributors no?

Yes, the 2022 certainly looks like it's going to be a late pick, who knows what happens in 2023. I think Jack Thompson looks like a good prospect, and NJ needs RHD.

I'm moving Severson because he only has one year left on his deal, and I don't want to sign him long term as a UFA for his likely price of ~$6 million or more. Right now he's top pairing quality, but I don't think he will be when he's 31 or 32.

Shara is a good player, and I like him. With Bratt, Holtz, Mercer and a bunch of promising prospects, I don't think he's indispensable. I don't see TB trading two firsts for Severson, but I can see them doing it if Shara is in the deal as well.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
If Severson gets traded, people here will lose their minds because people that actually watch hokey games, not just highlights will understand how valuable a player like Severson actually is.

We will see a bunch of OMG they OVERPAID SOOOOOOO MUCH!

People here are like, I watched him twice and now know everything about him

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
My question is, why are the Devils trying to trade a "really good" RH shot D-men with good size at 4M for 1 more year? Like I'm not trying to be a "hater" but this guy is not a good defense man, he's the opposite. I watch him and see a right handed Jake Gardiner.

Because we're trying to maximize return, as the Rangers did with McDonagh a few years ago. I'm glad you "watch him", not sure if you watch him as much as Devils fans do, Devils fans have generally been very tough Severson critics in the past, but he has much more support this year on the board.

Anyway, it's pointless to shout into the wind on this one. Because there's a video of him badly misplaying a 2 on 1, and that obviously means more than the compressive overviews of his game that show a consistent defender and efficient transition player. Even if you choose to ignore that, it's harder to ignore that Severson gets some of the toughest matchups in the league.

Why the Devils should consider moving Damon Severson, and why playoff teams should be interested

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Jesus, what’s Chychrun worth then?

You're severely overrating 1st round picks that are in the 25-32 range.

Put it this way - lets compare this Tampa package to a similar package from Arizona. Arizona Coyotes 2nd round picks are in the 33-36 range in 2022 and 2023.

Does two 2nds + Cam Dineen from Arizona seem like a lot to you?

Reactions: jfhabs

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Yes, the 2022 certainly looks like it's going to be a late pick, who knows what happens in 2023. I think Jack Thompson looks like a good prospect, and NJ needs RHD.

I'm moving Severson because he only has one year left on his deal, and I don't want to sign him long term as a UFA for his likely price of ~$6 million or more. Right now he's top pairing quality, but I don't think he will be when he's 31 or 32.

Shara is a good player, and I like him. With Bratt, Holtz, Mercer and a bunch of promising prospects, I don't think he's indispensable. I don't see TB trading two firsts for Severson, but I can see them doing it if Shara is in the deal as well.
I mean, you already have a bunch of promising prospects like you said, not sure getting more is of greater value for the Devils.
Anyway, I get what you are saying as far as Severson. IMO you should try and get a better 1 piece or 1st pick as oppose to 2 lower picks. Again, I think the Devils don't lack in volume as far as youth, you'd probably better aim at quality over volume.

Reactions: Monsieur Verdoux

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad