WJC: Several Swedish players and coaches suspended for their conduct during WJC medal ceremonies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
I remember that this place was outraged over this. How come no one criticized mcdavid for similar behavior for not showing up for conn smythe?
it is for sure a double standard. always has been.
wayyyyyyyyyyy better than we used to be, though.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
it is for sure a double standard. always has been.
wayyyyyyyyyyy better than we used to be, though.
Who is better than what? You're quoting a poster talking out of his ass. McDavid generated a lot more discussion, not less, by not going back on the ice to accept the trophy, not throwing the trophy into the crowd.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
As an Oiler fan... He got blasted for it. There is even a thread on HF about it. Fwiw . I didn't care he did that.

As a Czech fan. I also didn't care what lias did.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Having ceremonies for 2nd and 3rd place medals is ridiculous. And it's total European pretension to then get all righteous about anyone who dares to not take part in their silly theatrics.
So just so I have this straight, the players who accepted their silver medals were engaged in “silly theatrics”, not the players who took them off or threw them in the stands in a weirdly performative sore loser tantrum?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I thought Lias Andersson would be a solid NHL player. That silver medal may be the highlight of his career tbh
lias4.jpg

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Throwing your medal into the stands, it was a childish stupid thing to do no matter how many people try to give him a pass, if an American or Canadian player did that people would be all over it let's face facts so no reason for him to get handled with kid gloves

I'm sure he regrets it now, it was a teenage move made by a teenage player, he learned from it I hope.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Sure you could see how a kid could react like that, but does that mean it's not a move that can warrant criticism? Of course not.

It's perfectly reasonable for people to question that behaviour 17 years old or not.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Unlike Sweden, Canada takes responsibility for its failures?

Tell me about the last time Sweden had a slush fund to pay off... well, ya know.

Hockey Canada sexual assault scandal - Wikipedia
You think you needed to post a link to wilkipedia showing the team Canada sex assault scandal as if I hadn't somehow heard of that? jesus

Sometimes we don't take responsibility.............and I'm not down for that either.

But somehow you thought you read my mind and told me what I think abut Canada's misdeeds.

And despite what Canada has done wrong and they have indeed done wrong at times ( which I have also criticized in Team Canada threads)...........how would that make what he did somehow right? How does that make him out of bounds for criticism?

It was textbook bad sportsmanship, I'm sure as reasonable people we can all agree it was. To just say we should fluff it off and take a" nothing to see here" approach because of where the player is from or that he is 17 is silly.

Of course some people are going to call stuff like that out.

Last edited:
Reactions: cg98

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Sometimes we don't.............and I'm not down for that either.

But somehow you thought you read my mind and told me what I think abut Canada's misdeeds.

And despite what Canada has done wrong and they have indeed done wrong at times ( which I have also criticized in Team Canada threads)...........how would that make what he did somehow right? How does that make him out of bounds for criticism?

It was textbook bad sportsmanship, I'm sure as reasonable people we can all agree it was.

I'm not justifying Sweden's lack of sportsmanship, nor is it beyond criticism. I was merely responding to your statement:
"The difference in attitude between Sweden and countries like Canada etc is pretty obvious. The latter take responsibility for their failures."

It's a blatantly false statement; especially in light of the severity of transgressions committed.
Nothing more, nothing less.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'm not justifying Sweden's lack of sportsmanship, nor is it beyond criticism. I was merely responding to your statement:
"The difference in attitude between Sweden and countries like Canada etc is pretty obvious. The latter take responsibility for their failures."

It's a blatantly false statement; especially in light of the transgressions committed. Nothing more, nothing less.
I was talking about strictly hockey matters on the ice but I can see and understand where you misinterpreted that.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
I was talking about strictly hockey matters on the ice but I can see and understand where you misinterpreted that.
Fair enough.
But I assumed your statement encompassed off ice situations as well, considering you also criticized some administrator from the Swedish Hockey Federation.

But on-ice I tend to agree with you.
Historically Canada's sportsmanship has been atrocious. However the last couple decades Hockey Canada seems to have reinvented itself. They've shown themselves to be exceptionally sportmanlike in taking responsibility for any on-ice transgressions. Very respectful as well.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Fair enough.
But I assumed your statement encompassed off ice situations as well, considering you also criticized some administrator from the Swedish Hockey Federation.

But on-ice I tend to agree with you.
Historically Canada's sportsmanship has been atrocious. However the last couple decades Hockey Canada seemt to have reinvented itself. They've shown themselves to be exceptionally respectful and sportmanlike in taking reponsibility for on-ice transgressions.
As per the Swedish federation guy......................he was commenting on hockey matters that's why I mentioned him.

Anyway, alls well. I don't want to tar and feather the guy I just said what i thought about his throwing his silver medal into the stands as if it were a used snack pack container from K.F.C. which it may as well have been I guess. Thankfully someone got a treasured souvenir out of it.

I'll gladly lay off the guy the day comes when Joe Veleno gets a pass for leg chomping instead of " he should be gone for the rest of the games" " what a cowardly attack" " should the IIHF consider a new rule banning the offending player from any medals should his team get one" the much vaunted joe veleno rule floated about by the faithful here at HF.

But of course I can't expect that, Joe Veleno is responsible for his own actions and people will comment accordingly even if i don't agree with them..........................the Swedish player is no less responsible for his actions and no one can expect a total fluff off job on actions like that.

And that's the point, or at least one point

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
As per the Swedish federation guy......................he was commenting on hockey matters that's why I mentioned him.

Anyway, alls well. I don't want to tar and feather the guy I just said what i thought about his throwing his silver medal into the stands as if it were a used snack pack container from K.F.C. which it may as well have been I guess. Thankfully someone got a treasured souvenir out of it.

I'll gladly lay off the guy the day comes when Joe Veleno gets a pass for leg chomping instead of " he should be gone for the rest of the games" " what a cowardly attack" " should the IIHF consider a new rule banning the offending player from any medals should his team get one" the much vaunted joe veleno rule floated about by the faithful here at HF.

But of course I can't expect that, Joe Veleno is responsible for his own actions and people will comment accordingly even if i don't agree with them..........................the Swedish player is no less responsible for his actions and no one can expect a total fluff off job on actions like that.

And that's the point, or at least one point

But certainly you’re not oblivious to the discrepancy in severity of the 2 actions?

Criticizing Veleno more than Andersson is thoroughly justified.
One is a post-game tantrum thrown by a junior player, the other is an exceedingly dangerous and egregious on-ice play. Anyone with common sense could tell you this, from any country.

To view the level of outrage for these 2 separate situations via the lens of nationalism is odd. Comes across as some weird persecution complex.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
But certainly you’re not oblivious to the discrepancy in severity of the 2 actions?

Criticizing Veleno more than Andersson is common sense. One is a post-game tantrum thrown by a junior player, the other is an exceedingly dangerous and egregious on-ice play. Anybody from any country could tell you this.

That you view the level of outrage for these 2 situations via the lens of nationalism is odd. Comes across as some weird persecution complex.
They are not the same but they are both instances where you can be criticized, it's been indicated in here by some that the whole medal thing isn't even worthy of that.

Please.

And why wouldnt I view it through nationalism, when it's Canada doing something ( or even if it's in their imagination) it is, Perhaps you skip over the comments on here when this stuff happens. And then you say it looks like some weird persecution complex with me when the stuff such as a member of their federation whines about Canada having the WJC too much is nothing less then a persecution complex.

But for them it's o.k it seems. I don't know what to say about all this and it's gone past where it makes sense to bother...........perhaps we should let it go at this point.

Call a straight game folks........what's so hard about that? not asking for anything more.

Last edited:

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
They are not the same but they are both instances where you can be criticized, it's been indicated in here by some that the whole medal thing isn't even worthy of that.

Please.

And why wouldnt I view it through nationalism, when it's Canada doing something ( or even if it's in their imagination) it is, Perhaps you skip over the comments on here when this stuff happens. And then you say it looks like some weird persecution complex with me when the stuff such as a member of their federation whines about Canada having the WJC too much is nothing less then a persecution complex.

But for them it's o.k it seems. I don't know what to say about all this and it's gone past where it makes sense to bother...........perhaps we should let it go at this point.

Call a straight game folks........what's so hard about that? not asking for anything more.

Could we not likewise compare Andersson's tantrum to that Canadian captain refusing to take his helmet off for the Russian national anthem? Tons and tons of posters said the helmet thing wasn't a big deal, exponentially more than those dismissing Andersson's medal throwing.
That said, that Canadian captain can still be critisized, right?

Your reasoning could be applied to say:
"I'll gladly lay off the Canadian Captain when the day comes that Andersson gets a similar pass."

It's lunacy, and yes, seemingly predicated on weird nationalistic persecution complex thing.
At the end of the day different levels of criticism exist for different levels of foul. Nationality shouldn't matter.
But each to their own

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad