Waived: Seth Griffith, claimed by the Leafs

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Sure I'll spell it out.

Let's take the first reply to your post for example. Even though it was surely on the sarcastic side. "Fights, goals, and wins". Made to sound like a traditional fan that likes his hard hitting, fast, tough, physical, hockey game with the occasional brawl. Well the numbers don't really like that. The numbers like "boring" hockey. The numbers like the always safe play and the wear your opponent down and win 2-1 model. The Kings. A team built on great numbers. A boring team. Don't get me wrong. Boring teams win. But they're boring. The safe play isn't the most fun play but it's the one numbers like.

Furthermore, a lot of people don't like an absurd amount of numbers being thrown in their faces. They want to watch the game and see the score and the outcome. The numbers only complicate that. "Well we shouldn't have won because our xGF was low." Thats not really fun. It works. It's great to know. It helps in analyzing teams but it takes some of the life and passion out of the game.

No, I was replying to your post where you said the numbers don't like "passion and speed" ... that's what I said makes no sense.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
No, I was replying to your post where you said the numbers don't like "passion and speed" ... that's what I said makes no sense.

And what I meant is that they don't like high flying "fun" hockey full of hits, fights, and goals. Posted in long form above. Many NHL fans like high flying. Numbers don't.

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
Building a winning "team" is a combination of skill, analytics, instinct and luck in no particular order.

I see no problem is taking a chance on a young, inexpensive player with potential on waivers, evaluating him and then waiving him.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Building a winning "team" is a combination of skill, analytics, instinct and luck in no particular order.

I see no problem is taking a chance on a young, inexpensive player with potential on waivers, evaluating him and then waiving him.

It's because management blew up the mighty Panthers of 2016

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Additional measures of performance are never useless even if they require context. I don't get why people are so opposed to having more information and more ways of evaluating a player / game / season.

I think analytics and that stuff has a place. But like Gallant said he give it about 30% in his decisions etc. Right now it feels this management gives analytics 70% and other 30%. This is what pisses most off IMO. I don't know how your gonna use analytics to measure stuff like passion/drive/commitment etc

I had no problem trying out a player like Griffith here. He got a shot for 20+ games on the 1rst line and didnt score a single goal and had what 4 assists? Even if his analytics showed he was great it gives me even less faith in analytics because lets face it Griffith was crap

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I think analytics and that stuff has a place. But like Gallant said he give it about 30% in his decisions etc. Right now it feels this management gives analytics 70% and other 30%. This is what pisses most off IMO. I don't know how your gonna use analytics to measure stuff like passion/drive/commitment etc

I had no problem trying out a player like Griffith here. He got a shot for 20+ games on the 1rst line and didnt score a single goal and had what 4 assists? Even if his analytics showed he was great it gives me even less faith in analytics because lets face it Griffith was crap

If it count after Gallant no analytics would be needed, the result of the Game show you the analytic of the Game. What is not a wrong Idea.
Maybe Griffith has good Numbers with Points while he was on the Ice, and low Points off the Ice. What was not so hard when we scored only 1 or 2 Goals per Game.
Can´t see Griffith even as a bottom 6 Player. A top AHL Player has more Goal scoring Ability then him.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
They tried 5 or 6 other players before him and that line has played the best hockey with Griffith on it. Bjugstad, LOL, that guy has been terrible! Apparently you still don't understand why he was there or who was tried before him. But keep getting upset about it.

Only one not getting it Is u.. when u have a young promising player struggling u do everything u can to get him going.. like every other team in the league does.. the panthers didn't.. simple as that and end of discussion to be honest

Last edited by a moderator:

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Bottom six average at best talent. Not losing much

Considering who's in our bottom 6 right now, maybe we are losing a decent piece. But I guess it's irrelevant. He's not much more of a difference maker than anyone else really

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
There are guys in the league that are all tools but no tool box.

Griffith is the opposite: all tool box, no tools. He has a high hockey IQ but he can't do much with it. It could be just a confidence issue...but he did get plenty of ice time as first liner and didn't produce much.

Would Yakupov be top of list w/ no toolbox..?? He had one, but swarm of bees chased him and he left it behind early on in EDM.

:help:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Interesting that the original team that put Griffith on waivers (Leafs) is allowed to claim him again and send him directly to the minors without passing through waivers. Any other team would have to keep him in the NHL.

So the Cats just borrowed him for a short period of time. :)

Ekblad

Mar 10, 2010
Miami, Florida
Interesting that the original team that put Griffith on waivers (Leafs) is allowed to claim him again and send him directly to the minors without passing through waivers. Any other team would have to keep him in the NHL.

So the Cats just borrowed him for a short period of time. :)

I believe the same would have applied if boston claimed him too, since they also lost him on waivers to toronto.
If toronto waives him again, we technically could do the exact same thing if we wanted to

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I believe the same would have applied if boston claimed him too, since they also lost him on waivers to toronto.
If toronto waives him again, we technically could do the exact same thing if we wanted to

Only applies to the last team that waives him.

If he is waived by TOR again, we can do the same thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad