Waived: Seth Griffith, claimed by the Leafs

gcattei

Jun 23, 2015
Calling all griffith defenders!

The team signed him off waivers because they thought he can help, the first line was playing better with him there (whether it was because he did little things or just coincidence), he wasn't a first line caliber player, and maybe 5th option they tried at LW, but he wasn't the reason we lost games. The guy is literally just a fill in player the team took a chance on for free.

I don't think anyone loved the guy, they just didn't see him as a problem. If that's defending the guy then so be it, but I think he was just there.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
The team signed him off waivers because they thought he can help, the first line was playing better with him there (whether it was because he did little things or just coincidence), he wasn't a first line caliber player, and maybe 5th option they tried at LW, but he wasn't the reason we lost games. The guy is literally just a fill in player the team took a chance on for free.

I don't think anyone loved the guy, they just didn't see him as a problem. If that's defending the guy then so be it, but I think he was just there.

more like Griffith explainers to reactionary and emotional posters who like to complain about non factor players.

you either understand he was the 5th or 6th option and the line played well with him on it and they wanted to hopefully have quality depth on other lines or you're a complainer

MPGA

Make the Panthers Great Again
Nov 25, 2013
It must be hard to shill for the organization when they clearly have no clue what they are doing.

flomarilius

May 23, 2011
Miami, FL
It is rather eye opening. Organization went out of there way to praise and protect 24 on the 1st line, just to waive him? Maybe DT is getting the reigns again.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
It must be hard to shill for the organization when they clearly have no clue what they are doing.

What's wrong with what they did? We're a team who can't score, saw someone on waivers who has shown that he has the ability to produce offense, then put into a position to succeed and didn't. So, he's back on waivers.

I don't see where u guys come up with "ahhhh the organization has no clue what they're doing".

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
What's wrong with what they did? We're a team who can't score, saw someone on waivers who has shown that he has the ability to produce offense, then put into a position to succeed and didn't. So, he's back on waivers.

I don't see where u guys come up with "ahhhh the organization has no clue what they're doing".

They think they should go to the goal scorer store and pick up a goal scorer or two.

God forbid we took a low risk chance and rolled the dice with a guy who costs us nothing

flomarilius

May 23, 2011
Miami, FL
They think they should go to the goal scorer store and pick up a goal scorer or two.

God forbid we took a low risk chance and rolled the dice with a guy who costs us nothing

Cost us nothing but 24 games taking a spot he had no business playing in when you could have tried to putting Bjugstad on the first line to get him going. Costed us more than nothing.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

I think the problem people have with management regarding Griffith, is that he went from a hyped "top6 forward" playing on the 1st line, to a persona non grata. He didn't fall down the line-up and spend a dozen games in the pressbox before getting waived, from the 1st line straight to waivers.

It's one thing to have faith and give praise to your players, but they made it sound like Griffith was the second coming and now all of a sudden he isn't even worth a roster spot.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Cost us nothing but 24 games taking a spot he had no business playing in when you could have tried to putting Bjugstad on the first line to get him going. Costed us more than nothing.

They tried 5 or 6 other players before him and that line has played the best hockey with Griffith on it. Bjugstad, LOL, that guy has been terrible! Apparently you still don't understand why he was there or who was tried before him. But keep getting upset about it.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I think the problem people have with management regarding Griffith, is that he went from a hyped "top6 forward" playing on the 1st line, to a persona non grata. He didn't fall down the line-up and spend a dozen games in the pressbox before getting waived, from the 1st line straight to waivers.

It's one thing to have faith and give praise to your players, but they made it sound like Griffith was the second coming and now all of a sudden he isn't even worth a roster spot.

nobody thought he was hyped. nobody. he was a low risk move who had scored in the AHL at a PPG pace and just happened to be the 5th or 6th guy on that line. The line played very well when he was on it. Better than it did with the 4 or 5 other guys.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
nobody thought he was hyped. nobody. he was a low risk move who had scored in the AHL at a PPG pace and just happened to be the 5th or 6th guy on that line. The line played very well when he was on it. Better than it did with the 4 or 5 other guys.
Nobody here hyped him. Management did their best though.

And as has been said countless times, Barkov turned on the jets and started carrying the first line before Griffith started playing on it. Griffith didn't get jack **** done after Barkov got injured.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013

It's a joke...they take any chance they can get to bash someone or something about the organization. :shakehead

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
It's a joke...they take any chance they can get to bash someone or something about the organization. :shakehead
Hey, we might as well add criticizing players to the site rules at this rate. But let me guess, criticizing Gudbranson and other players that left the organization doesn't count, right? :rolleyes:

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Dont have to like everything they do like some people around here.

Well I don't agree with the fact that the Panthers would rather get rid of Griffith, which is why they are putting him on waivers. They aren't doing it solely to send him to Springfield, which is where he'll go if he clears. I'd rather keep him as a depth piece, and even right now we have no healthy extras. I know of someone in the org who wanted him on waivers a couple weeks ago

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

And as has been said countless times, Barkov turned on the jets and started carrying the first line before Griffith started playing on it. Griffith didn't get jack **** done after Barkov got injured.

Management didn't hype him. I think you confuse talking positively about a player with hyping him. If you expected anything much from him, that's on you.

Right, but the 5 other players tried with Barkov, didn't seem that Barkov played any better. Nobody is saying Griffith is why Barkov was playing better. Rather, Griffith doesn't hurt the line and Barkov is playing well and that line was producing. The idea was to have a player who at the very least allow Barkov to produce and then a better player was to play on another line to hopefully provide some more depth. It was never a complicated concept. Some people refuse to accept it. Nobody ever thought Griffith was a first line talent.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Hey, we might as well add criticizing players to the site rules at this rate. But let me guess, criticizing Gudbranson and other players that left the organization doesn't count, right? :rolleyes:

Honestly you should add attacking posters to the rules. Oh wait....

The disrespect thrown at Batting for his differing opinion is cringe worthy. Guy spends his spare time, giving us an inside look that would be impossible for the other 99% of us, but hey, his views are different than yours, might as well attack him just like the team.

Go Panthers, right?

And while you said it off the cuff, yes you can go all the way back to when he said some things about Guds and Kuli as to when those posters, started taking shots AT HIM in the offseason. BEFORE THEY EVEN PLAYED A GAME. Apparently the teams struggles are also his fault. LOL.

Damn you Batting for having access to the team! How dare you! And then to have your own opinion, on a message board? How do you sleep at night?

When people go as far as to criticize the mans twitter feed, you know its about more than just some guys upset about players Soupy. Its not personal, but they are making it such. I guess if you talk to anyone with the team, you are considered an owner, and responsible, perfect reasoning.

Last edited:

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Management didn't hype him. I think you confuse talking positively about a player with hyping him. If you expected anything much from him, that's on you.

Right, but the 5 other players tried with Barkov, didn't seem that Barkov played any better. Nobody is saying Griffith is why Barkov was playing better. Rather, Griffith doesn't hurt the line and Barkov is playing well and that line was producing. The idea was to have a player who at the very least allow Barkov to produce and then a better player was to play on another line to hopefully provide some more depth. It was never a complicated concept. Some people refuse to accept it. Nobody ever thought Griffith was a first line talent.

Smith looked better and isnt dead weight.

Other players hit moved because they didn't score. Yet Griffith stayed to create this "depth."

Im confident Bjugstad wouldnt be as bad as he was had he been up there with Barkov.

Guess you didnt see the posts about the Barkov line with Griffith having a higher scoring pace over Huberdeau.

Face it. He isnt an NHL player shouldnt have been force fed up there.

Hell, he got POWERPLAY time.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA

Don't you think that's a little too critical. What are they supposed to say, "This guy we picked up on waivers sucks!"???

They took a shot and missed. So did Toronto before us. No biggie, happens all the time.

-ghoste

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

I literally said after he'd played a game or two that he's going to have a good career in Europe.. expectations doesn't get any lower than that.

Honestly you should add attacking posters to the rules. Oh wait....

The disrespect thrown at Batting for his differing opinion is cringe worthy. Guy spends his spare time, giving us an inside look that would be impossible for the other 99% of us, but hey, his views are different than yours, might as well attack him just like the team.

Go Panthers, right?

And while you said it off the cuff, yes you can go all the way back to when he said some things about Guds and Kuli as to when those posters, started taking shots AT HIM in the offseason. BEFORE THEY EVEN PLAYED A GAME. Apparently the teams struggles are also his fault. LOL.

Damn you Batting for having access to the team! How dare you! And then to have your own opinion, on a message board? How do you sleep at night?

When people go as far as to criticize the mans twitter feed, you know its about more than just some guys upset about players Soupy. Its not personal, but they are making it such. I guess if you talk to anyone with the team, you are considered an owner, and responsible, perfect reasoning.
It's no attack, just pointing out the obvious double standard which isn't even guided directly at batting.

Don't you think that's a little too critical. What are they supposed to say, "This guy we picked up on waivers sucks!"???

They took a shot and missed. So did Toronto before us. No biggie, happens all the time.

-ghoste
It just seems like they had their expectations too high for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad