Post-Game Talk: Series Discussion: Stars @ Blues

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
That’s the conventional wisdom that is bandied about and against I argue.
Well, for one, there's a greater chance that players get injured when more games are played. If the series were over now, there would be nearly a 0% chance that a player gets injured. It also gives players who are playing with nagging injuries less time to recover if it goes the distance.

You also have to look at it in terms of amount of games played in the last x number of days. As the 2nd round goes on, the team that defeated their previous opponents quicker will have played less games and had more rest in that time frame. For example, let's say that we beat the Jets in 7 and the Preds beat the Stars in 5. If the 2nd round series goes to 7 games, the Preds will have played 12 games in something like 30 days. The Blues on the other hand would have played 14 games in 30 days, nearly a game every other day for a month. As you get into those later games, especially with travel being back and forth after game 4, the team that has played more tiring and physical playoff-hockey is going to start to feel it.

I will say that the team coming off that huge game 7 win is going to have the momentum and "guns blazing" advantage in game 1, but I'd rather have the advantage in the later games as opposed to game 1. The first game of a series is always the least important. Look at the Jets last year after they beat the Preds in game 7, coming out and beating the Knights in game 1 and then losing the next 4. Or the Blues in '16 after the game 7 win against the Stars, we won game 1 against the Sharks and then got shutout the next two games.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

Saint Loser

"(they) are unavoidably unsafe" - SCOTUS
Mar 16, 2018
Well, for one, there's a greater chance that players get injured when more games are played. If the series were over now, there would be nearly a 0% chance that a player gets injured. It also gives players who are playing with nagging injuries less time to recover if it goes the distance.

You also have to look at it in terms of amount of games played in the last x number of days. As the 2nd round goes on, the team that defeated their previous opponents quicker will have played less games and had more rest in that time frame. For example, let's say that we beat the Jets in 7 and the Preds beat the Stars in 5. If the 2nd round series goes to 7 games, the Preds will have played 12 games in something like 30 days. The Blues on the other hand would have played 14 games in 30 days, nearly a game every other day for a month. As you get into those later games, especially with travel being back and forth after game 4, the team that has played more tiring and physical playoff-hockey is going to start to feel it.

I will say that the team coming off that huge game 7 win is going to have the momentum and "guns blazing" advantage in game 1, but I'd rather have the advantage in the later games as opposed to game 1. The first game of a series is always the least important. Look at the Jets last year after they beat the Preds in game 7, coming out and beating the Knights in game 1 and then losing the next 4. Or the Blues in '16 after the game 7 win against the Stars, we won game 1 against the Sharks and then got shutout the next two games.

Yes, I’m aware and thank you for the response. I would rather face a team that has sat around for a few days getting soft.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Are there any ideas about how the schedules are going to work if Dallas wins tonight? Will it be Wednesday or Thursday when the series starts?

I know that if Nashville progresses then the first game is on Friday.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Are there any ideas about how the schedules are going to work if Dallas wins tonight? Will it be Wednesday or Thursday when the series starts?

I know that if Nashville progresses then the first game is on Friday.

Will they wait until all first round games are done? If Capitals/Cane goes to a game 7 that would be on Wednesday.

I didn't think they normally have 1st round games going on with 2nd round games even if it is a different conference.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Will they wait until all first round games are done? If Capitals/Cane goes to a game 7 that would be on Wednesday.

I didn't think they normally have 1st round games going on with 2nd round games even if it is a different conference.
It has happened before, but I'm not sure how common it is. A few years ago Anaheim has a 7 game series and there was a second round game completed before their game 7 started.

It might be they only do that if there are issues with arena scheduling, and I don't believe that there is much going on at the Enterprise Center that would need to be worked around.

LETSGOBLUES88

Feb 20, 2019
I can only hope that Nashville/Dallas Game 6 goes down like last nights Sharks/Knights game! It was a heck of a game but they practically played 2 for the price of 1. Give me that twice with Nashville winning both please

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I think Playoff blues would throttle Dallas personally. They're less skilled then WPG and their D are much smaller, tho good with the puck(heiskanen, klingberg and lindell). I think if we play the right way (which we should), we could absolutely grind them out. Shutdown the radulov line and were fine. I'll take facing bishop over rinne in a playoff series any day. and it'd be fun to face polak lol

I'm not worried about the regular season matchups....since we all know playoff hockey is a very very different game.

just my 2 cents....

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Also, to add onto this, if the series that goes 7 has multiple OT games, or a game that goes double OT, that could add up to essentially playing another game if you add the periods up. So if in this example the Blues-Jets series had a few overtime games, that could be as many as 15 or 16 "games" in 30 days. That's a lot of hockey, especially when you consider it's at the end of the season and not at the beginning. The other team would have significant more rest. I mean, just look at teams' records in a 2nd game of a back to back. Rest can be important.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Dont forget their stupid goal song.

Radulov has done nothing to make me hate him other then his stupid face.

Seguin though....he bae :laugh:

My dislike of Radulov is more based on how arrogant he was as a young player. Very arrogant junior player when he played in Quebec and I never liked that he didn’t want to play for Nashville so he sucked off back to Russia for several years. He’s a lot less dislikable these days but his proximity to the other two does him no favours in my eyes.

And yes, that goal song makes me want to break things.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
stars will be a harder hockey matchup with benn maybe crosschecking people in the ribs vs the preds punching people in the head and not getting called.

whatever, gotta beat anyone in front of us either way

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
Shouldn't you hate Pantera for writing a bland pile of garbage instead of the Stars for playing it lol
What about "Rollin" by Limp Bizkit for the Blues new playoffs goal song??....

Huh? Huhhh?....
giphy (1).gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad