TSN: Seravalli: Rangers significant cap concerns (bonus cushion 7,5%).

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015

First time i have heard about this rule. Might be why they are so interested in Eichel since they have to reduce their rfa bonuses going into the season. A way to do that is obviously to trade Lafreniere, Kakko or other rfa players with high bonuses.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
They probably have to move Strome
Strome doesnt have any bonuses though. Will still be working with a lower cap than all the other teams if they trade him. But its obviously an option to just move Strome and Deangelo...

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Strome doesnt have any bonuses though. Will still be working with a lower cap than all the other teams if they trade him.
If you're not replacing Strome with a cheaper player, your options are pretty limited.

Smith, Zibanejad, Panarin, Buch, Kreider, Gregoirev, or Trouba, I think?

Surprised we haven't heard anything about a Smith buyout to be honest. Then aagin, it would only really save about 1M after you replace him. Tough situation.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
That explains possibly not qualifying Strome and the need to trade Deangelo.

I have been ahead of this curve for over a yr.
Fortunately moving Skjei, Staal and Hank buyout has helped.
They virtually do not have to do anything now.
Worst they have to do something w/Smith.

However, Strome, Buch Deangelo need to go, both for $ cap, but also needs kick in in 3 yrs w/elcs-rfas and Zib raise.

Not shocked if Strome first to go.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I think they can have a max cap hit of 76 million right now or with Frank's 13 million in dead money, 63 million of on ice money. My 76 million includes Laf's 2.85 million max performance bonus hit giving the Rangers 11 million in potential performance bonuses. the 7.5% cap hit takes it up to cap + performance bonus potential to 87.6125. Minus 11 million equals 76.625 million.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Is this a good thing to have in place, this cap on bonus cushions? I suppose it is there to prevent teams from loading up on players by giving them bonus-driven contracts or what not, but in this case it seems like a penalty for building a team almost completely via the draft and/or prospects from other organizations. I understand the need for parity, but is this a good thing for the NHL to have in place?

I ask because I legitimately do not know. Seems to me, though, that you WANT teams to build like the Rangers are doing.

Reactions: egelband

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Is this a good thing to have in place, this cap on bonus cushions? I suppose it is there to prevent teams from loading up on players by giving them bonus-driven contracts or what not, but in this case it seems like a penalty for building a team almost completely via the draft and/or prospects from other organizations. I understand the need for parity, but is this a good thing for the NHL to have in place?

I ask because I legitimately do not know. Seems to me, though, that you WANT teams to build like the Rangers are doing.
I would say its to prevent the appeal to play ELCs with performance bonuses to some extend to keep veteran players in the league.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
SO the only way out of this now is to trade ELC guys who could earn bonuses for Draft picks or older players? Great.

Reactions: CreamOfTheCrop

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I would say its to prevent the appeal to play ELCs with performance bonuses to some extend to keep veteran players in the league.

Interesting. So basically, when everybody talks about full-blown rebuilds or scorched-earth rebuilds, they need to keep this in mind.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Interesting. So basically, when everybody talks about full-blown rebuilds or scorched-earth rebuilds, they need to keep this in mind.
Yes and no.

This rule was fairly unknown until this moment. The reason being, most 1OA winners arent that lucky to get one the year after signing a top tier player in UFA. Most scorch the earth rebuilders wouldnt have this issue. They arent spending close to top.

Yes if they are going to take a bunch of bad contracts to really up their draft / prospect capital and spend near the max. That wouldnt make much sense business wise as the team wont bring in many fans.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

The bonus cushion is already a benefit to teams. Is it reasonable to have a limit on that benefit?

Keep in mind it's not just ELC's. Boston for example signed Iginla to a $6m AAV contract in 2013-14 with $4.2m of that in readily achievable bonuses to stay within the cap.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Where’s Eichel 10m going to fit? Buffalo is obviously not going to retain salary.
They dont have a problem getting under 81,5m with Eichel. The problem is that their cap ceiling decreases for every new rfa with potential bonuses they have in their lineup since they are already above the 7,5% bonus cushion. K'Andre Miller, Lafreniere and potentially more rfa's will be in the Rangers lineup next season.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
SO the only way out of this now is to trade ELC guys who could earn bonuses for Draft picks or older players? Great.
Or you pay someone to buy-out Smith and then go a bunch of middle of the road one year deals. they will be a ton of FAs with no many homes to be had.

Reactions: bernmeister

Ad

Upcoming events

• Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,700.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Austria vs Norway
    Austria vs Norway
    Wagers: 2