Waived: Sens waive Zack Smith (upd: clears)

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Depends on which rookies* make the team, but when healthy:

Dzingel-Duchene-Ryan
Tkachuk*-Pageau-Stone
Bodker-Tierney-White*
Paajarvi-Chlapik*-Pyatt

Which is not that bad... The forward core is pretty crowded. Moving Smith is not exactly a bad move. We need to make room for the kids.

What about Formenton? White? Also, given the injury to Pageau, will Logan Brown get a chance? I've also heard that Balcers has looked OK, but not sure that means a roster opportunity this year.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Read the thread title.
Yep. The Sens waived Zack Smith. Someone asked what the team looked like at the NHL level and you then responded by saying their forward group was not bad. When people called you on that, you got defensive by saying people are taking you out of context (they aren't) and that someone was implying the Sens were worse without him (which they weren't).

So. Good luck with all that.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
definitely some youth there, which is what I was trying to see. I can't blame them for waiving Smith if he holds back some kids, team needs a lot of things to go right for them to compete, but honestly I would rather keep Smith and hope he can help the team out in any capacity right now so they aren't giving up a #1 overall to Col...surprised Logan Brown couldn't crack the roster with no Pageau for half the season.

See? You got the jist of my post, because I was replying to you. The other hyenas in this thread apparently didn't read the tread title, or your post that I was replying to. This is hfboards after all, I shouldn't be surprised at the lack of reading comprehension and maturity though.....

Reactions: AmericanDream

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Smith isnt that good its a good move for ottawa. Rather give someone else a chance

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
I hope he isn't claimed so that Melnyk has to pay him regardless. It's nothing short of a money move - Melnyk is trying to throw weight overboard. As Dreger said, teams would have traded for him had Ottawa taken salary back.

He is a versatile player who quite honestly would have seen his numbers (and hence his trade value) go up again this year based on playing more cookie minutes.

Reactions: SENSability

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
What about Formenton? Also, given the injury to Pageau, will Logan Brown get a chance? I've also heard that Balcers has looked OK, but not sure that means a roster opportunity this year.
Brown Batherson and Balcers were sent to the AHL team for now

Formenton imo will be on the team

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Brown Batherson and Balcers were sent to the AHL team for now

Formenton imo will be on the team

Thanks for the update. Based on team direction and quotes from Melynk, it would seem like Ottawa will be giving their prospects every chance to make the club.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
What about Formenton? Also, given the injury to Pageau, will Logan Brown get a chance? I've also heard that Balcers has looked OK, but not sure that means a roster opportunity this year.

Brown is probably the most talented of the bunch, but he's not NHL ready yet. He's struggling a bit with the pace and intensity of the NHL, which means he's better off learning at the AHL. But I'd say he has by far the most upside.

Formenton is basically the opposite. Pace, speed and intensity in spades. It should allow him to learn on the fly at the NHL level. I didn't put him on my roster, but he should easily make it with Pageau being hurt. This guy is fast, like Grabner fast. And he's very young. Only 4 days older than Tkachuk.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
By "not that bad", I mean not the worst in the league. Stone and Duchene are obviously 60 point players. You can't not count them just because you *think* they're going to be traded. Dzingel also has a shot at 60pts IMO. You guys are clearly pulling that quote out of context.

Can you show me a team with a worse forward group than this?

Only two I can think of that might be close are Montreal and Vancouver.

Reactions: Post Karl Malone

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Thanks for the update. Based on team direction and quotes from Melynk, it would seem like Ottawa will be giving their prospects every chance to make the club.
Ya It looks like right now the front runners are Formenton, White, Chalpik and Tkachuk . They probably all make it

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I'd think that's Melnyk's motivation -> hope he gets claimed so he doesn't have to pay his salary.

To be fair, that would be the same motivation of 30 other GM's and owners if they had this contract on the books.

Well, I can't disagree with that. But, I would say that Melnyk is even less likely than other owners to overpay by a few extra dollars on any contract.

Reactions: Erndog

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Stop taking him out of context. He wasn't even replying to you, so you couldn't possibly follow his 3 post conversation.

He said he doesn't think that forward group is the worst in the league:
I mean not the worst in the league.

How is that taking anything out of context?

And frankly, I disagree. It's almost certainly bottom 3, and depending on how Vancouver's youth does and if Ottawa moves Stone and/or Duchene, it could get even worse.

Reactions: Post Karl Malone

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Depends on which rookies* make the team, but when healthy:

Dzingel-Duchene-Ryan
Tkachuk*-Pageau-Stone
Bodker-Tierney-White*
Paajarvi-Chlapik*-Pyatt

Which is not that bad... The forward core is pretty crowded. Moving Smith is not exactly a bad move. We need to make room for the kids.

Not that bad? What?!? :huh: I would not trust that forward group to even dominate the AHL. It's beyond terrible.

Reactions: swiftwin

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Brown is probably the most talented of the bunch, but he's not NHL ready yet. He's struggling a bit with the pace and intensity of the NHL, which means he's better off learning at the AHL. But I'd say he has by far the most upside.

Formenton is basically the opposite. Pace, speed and intensity in spades. It should allow him to learn on the fly at the NHL level. I didn't put him on my roster, but he should easily make it with Pageau being hurt. This guy is fast, like Grabner fast. And he's very young. Only 4 days older than Tkachuk.

I'm still confused as to who jumps in at center if they do manage to dump Smith's contract? Duchene and Tierney on the top two lines, Chlapik and who else in the bottom six? Or maybe they're assuming a cheaper option comes across the waiver wire?

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Duchene is gone. Man the Sens... The league needs to step in here. The owner cares about nothing but saving money.
At some point I hope the league helps us say mercy. This is worse than the Buffalo teardown, at least they didn't do it strictly for money reasons and actually got some assets in the process.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Can you show me a team with a worse forward group than this?

Only two I can think of that might be close are Montreal and Vancouver.

Detroit and Arizona too. None of these teams have a player of Stone or Duchene's caliber.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad