OOT Scoreboard 2023-24 playoffs

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I really don't like the current division setups.

Supposed to be rivals with Rangers, Canes, Isles, Penguins, Flyers, and Capitals (Columbus doesn't register).

Its rival overload. I don't even care who wins because every team is supposed to be a rival. Just give me 3 divisional rival teams that I can equally hate. NFL and MLB has it correct. Fans/Teams really dislike each other.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

Supposed to be rivals with Rangers, Canes, Isles, Penguins, Flyers, and Capitals (Columbus doesn't register).

Its rival overload. I don't even care who wins because every team is supposed to be a rival. Just give me 3 divisional rival teams that I can equally hate. NFL and MLB has it correct. Fans/Teams really dislike each other.
I don't even register opposing fans any more. And honestly, I don't have the bandwidth to hate on opposing teams. If the rangers win it, I just can't find it in myself to care

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
God the Hurricanes suck when the games matter the most. Gotta think they might just move on from Brind'Amour at this point. I could of sworn he is asking for absurd amount of money, meanwhile his teams always bow out miserably from the playoffs. The Hurricanes have had numerous good goalies step in over the years and for some reason they can just never role with one true Undisputed starter the whole playoffs. It's always a goaltending carousel with that team. All 3 games look like they have been tight and truly could of went either way but it's no excuse to be down 3 to 0. They are the Eastern Conference version of the Sharks in my eyes. Great regular season team who makes the playoffs and can win a round or two but that's literally it.

I really hope Florida wins their series and tosses the Rags in the Conference Finals. It might even come down to Colorado (who I think is going to win the whole thing) to get it done. I want these f***ers out. That fanbase is the worst. It's not even the bias from being a Devils fan , they truly have the most obnoxious fans I've ever seen.

Last edited:

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
The Panthers would certainly be a step up in competition. The Hurricanes really did not show up at all. I wouldnt say theyve been thoroughly beaten but havent really done a whole lot to win

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
God the Hurricanes suck when the games matter the most. Gotta think they might just move on from Brind'Amour at this point. I could of sworn he is asking for absurd amount of money, meanwhile his teams always bow out miserably from the playoffs. The Hurricanes have had numerous good goalies step in over the years and for some reason they can just never role with one true Undisputed starter the whole playoffs. It's always a goaltending carousel with that team. All 3 games look like they have been tight and truly could of went either way but it's no excuse to be down 3 to 0. They are the Eastern Conference version of the Sharks in my eyes. Great regular season team who makes the playoffs and can win a round or two but that's literally it.

I really hope Florida wins their series and tosses the Rags in the Conference Finals. It might even come down to Colorado (who I think is going to win the whole thing) to get it done. I want these f***ers out. That fanbase is the worst. It's not even the bias from being a Devils fan , they truly have the most obnoxious fans I've ever seen.

Where did you hear Brind’Amour is asking for an absurd amount of money?

He got nickeled and dimed on his last contract and had to fight to get market value contracts for his assistants.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
That'll always be a thing in our lifetime, man. They have 80 years of history and have generations of fans grandfathering in their Rangers fandom. We'll get that eventually, lol.
I don’t think we ever will get there. Some franchises just dominate a neighbor in attendance regardless of time. Sure ranger fans won’t pack prudential if they suck but best believe if they are good they will be there however they have to be

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

They want to build rivalries through the playoffs when the same teams meet for 5x in 6 years. Problem is if the division is mid one team will benefit (metro) while a team in another division gets buried (leafs)

Where did you hear Brind’Amour is asking for an absurd amount of money?

He got nickeled and dimed on his last contract and had to fight to get market value contracts for his assistants.

People really should be pumping the brakes on rod as a coach. A huge playoff flop this year after a cake walk to conference final flop last year and not much else before that. They can beat up on first round teams flame out after that. Much like the devils teams of the mid 2000s

Reactions: Camille the Eel

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
The Rangers are going to be hard to beat. Alex Lafrenier is coming into is own. All their stars are on heaters and they have the best goalie in the league. The only team with a chance is Colorado if they make it.

It's easy to forget because he started slow and the team he's on, but yea the guy was a legit prospect. Him turning it on makes them pretty dangerous.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
People really should be pumping the brakes on rod as a coach. A huge playoff flop this year after a cake walk to conference final flop last year and not much else before that. They can beat up on first round teams flame out after that. Much like the devils teams of the mid 2000s

I'm not pumping the brakes on anything. With a different coach, they're probably not even a playoff team.

Camille the Eel

It's curious how not close these two "close-in-score" Overtime games have seemed to me.

While going to OT (where they literally could have won either game), watching them I never for one second thought that Carolina would win either time.

Even when Carolina got partial break aways on Shesterkin you never expected them to score. He was there ahead of them, as it were waiting for the shots. Amazing anticipation of the plays and he'd be on the angle and make the saves effortlessly. There have been few or no circus saves. They've looked routine. While Anderson and Kotchekov have looked consistently insecure. In regulation, it felt like any time the Rangers needed it, they could simply put the machine into a higher or lower gear, as the occasion required, and score whenever they liked. Trailing, you waited for them to tie it up. The Overtime game winner last night was anticipated and predictable.

From that first goal minutes into game one they've controlled the series.

Now this is, as I say, curious. Apologists for Carolina will say this series has been tight. But I don't think so. It has not subjectively seemed that way. The Rangers have held off the Canes like a heavy weight fighter who keeps the other guy away by jabbing and bides his time to land the uppercut. Or like a racehorse who just runs with the challenger, knowing that it can simply outrun the other horse down the stretch. The Rags have controlled these games even when being outshot.

I don't remember another series with such a strange quality. Carolina should not fool itself. They are not competitive with this Rangers team and running out the same or a similar roster next year will not make them so.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
They want to build rivalries through the playoffs when the same teams meet for 5x in 6 years. Problem is if the division is mid one team will benefit (metro) while a team in another division gets buried (leafs)
I think it's much more that they want to guarantee certain match ups (so profit from existing rivalries) rather than build new ones.

Ovi - Crosby was hyped for years, but they only met in the playoffs four times: first in 2009, but then not again until 2016 (after the NHL changed the format).

For instance, I think Toronto - Boston was a huge draw this year. Going 1-8 by points, this year the NHL would have gotten that same series. But, that's somewhat luck. If the Devils had been a top team in the Metro as expected, you might have gotten Boston - NJ in the first round, and then maybe NJ - Toronto (or NJ - FL) in the second round. Meanwhile, the current set up you would have been way more likely to get NYR - NJD and Bos - Tor, both of which would be huge draws.

Its unfortunate for the fans, I think, because playoff match-ups have way more meaning when they are in the later rounds.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It's curious how not close these two "close-in-score" Overtime games have seemed to me.

While going to OT (where they literally could have won either game), watching them I never for one second thought that Carolina would win either time.

Even when Carolina got partial break aways on Shesterkin you never expected them to score. He was there ahead of them, as it were waiting for the shots. Amazing anticipation of the plays and he'd be on the angle and make the saves effortlessly. There have been few or no circus saves. They've looked routine. While Anderson and Kotchekov have looked consistently insecure. In regulation, it felt like any time the Rangers needed it, they could simply put the machine into a higher or lower gear, as the occasion required, and score whenever they liked. Trailing, you waited for them to tie it up. The Overtime game winner last night was anticipated and predictable.

From that first goal minutes into game one they've controlled the series.

Now this is, as I say, curious. Apologists for Carolina will say this series has been tight. But I don't think so. It has not subjectively seemed that way. The Rangers have held off the Canes like a heavy weight fighter who keeps the other guy away by jabbing and bides his time to land the uppercut. Or like a racehorse who just runs with the challenger, knowing that it can simply outrun the other horse down the stretch. The Rags have controlled these games even when being outshot.

I don't remember another series with such a strange quality. Carolina should not fool itself. They are not competitive with this Rangers team and running out the same or a similar roster next year will not make them so.
Shesterkin is on a roll and he's the primary reason the Rangers are winning the series as I see it. Give him credit. He's a tremendously talented goaltender. The rest of the Rangers team isn't much different than the team that lost to NJ last season. They are good on the PP and have some opportunistic scorers. If Shersterkin's play falls off at all they will lose again.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Shesterkin is on a roll and he's the primary reason the Rangers are winning the series as I see it. Give him credit. He's a tremendously talented goaltender. The rest of the Rangers team isn't much different than the team that lost to NJ last season. They are good on the PP and have some opportunistic scorers. If Shersterkin's play falls off at all they will lose again.

Maybe Devils did something right and were able to get into his head because he was quite average in that series last year. Although, average for him is still very very good lol

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Rangers are going to be hard to beat. Alex Lafrenier is coming into is own. All their stars are on heaters and they have the best goalie in the league. The only team with a chance is Colorado if they make it.
IMG_1794.jpeg

Well said, my friend. Other than the part about COL. They stand no chance against the Rags, nor does anyone else. Not even FLA and they’re a historically good team. They’ve still got nothing on the Rags.

Camille the Eel

Yes Shesterkin is their huge edge in this matchup. Compared to last year, the Rangers 1-3-1 gives them a more secure and a simpler defense in depth while their roster, with the addition of Wenberg, Roslovic, some others, and the growth and development of Lafreniere and upgraded play from Panarin is deeper. They are better coached. A better team. In this series they are winning without really being pushed to extend themselves. Beating Carolina without having to get out of breath is what I mean.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad