Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Calen Addison (D) and Nikolay Kulemin (F) to PTO's

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
It's possible that you can trade the superior player in a trade but still come out ahead because the player you acquire is a better fit for your team.

That's what I think will happen here.

The goal is not to win every trade on paper. The goal is to make your team better.

Chychrun was a real Dorion special. Shiny name that didn't fit. Looking back at it, that media availability when Pierre said "he can play the right side..."... so funny.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I am not sure I agree with this. His play tailed off but so did most of the team. I would say there is more at play here than an individual player. I wouldn't be surprised to see him excel on a more stable team/franchise like the Caps. Chychrun also didnt have an injury last year he played all games.

Your description can easily fit towards other guys like Chabot and Zub aswell all whose play really tailed off
The team played better in the second half. He got substantially worse. There was way more buy in and as a whole the team played with more structure. He did not buy in.

Visually you saw him avoiding battles and contact. It was blatantly obvious.

It's possible that you can trade the superior player in a trade but still come out ahead because the player you acquire is a better fit for your team.

The goal is not to win every trade on paper. The goal is to make your team better.

Chychrun was a real Dorion special. Shiny name that didn't fit. Looking back at it, that media availability when Pierre said "he can play the right side..."... so funny.
100 percent accurate post. This may have been Dorions worst move as this player had no role and no fit. He has no idea how to build a hockey team.

Chychrun likely will be a better fit on Washington. He has a top 4 ld spot with a defensive d man partner. It just never made sense to be traded here. Good for him to have a good opportunity in a role that works. I expect him to be better in wash.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
Chychrun likely will be a better fit on Washington. He has a top 4 ld spot with a defensive d man partner. It just never made sense to be traded here. Good for him to have a good opportunity in a role that works. I expect him to be better in wash.

This season likely. It's a contract season. But I wouldn't want to have him after he signs his next big contract.

Reactions: bert

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

Sure this can be true, but I don't get why it is needed by some to bash a good player who just didn't fit here and then need to prop up the new guy. On paper Chychrun is a better player than Jensen which is ok to say. Jensen could potentially be a better fit here due to having Chabby and Sandy

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Just getting a stable guy like Jensen is a big win. We saw Chychrun in Ottawa so it’s irrelevant what he does in Washington.

No matter how good Jensen can be in Ottawa, it most likely won't be for more than 2 seasons. He is an older stop gap who has been on a clear decline the last 2 seasons (it is documented and it also has been talked about on the Caps forums). He was really good in 2021-22 but note that he was playing 17 mins per game in the 3 seasons prior. He was their #5 D-man his first 2 years in Washington and #6 the year they had Chara. He peaked in year #4 but then declined

As for Chychrun being "irrelevant" here, I was simply following other people's discussion. He's probably going to be talked about for years since we spent a 12th OA pick and two 2nd round picks to get him, an investment that normally should be a long term building block.

He's not playing the pp over Carlson. So unless they plan on going two D men he won't have that role. That's the thing with Chychrun he's a good offensive d man but he's not a pp 1 guy on most nhl teams.

I'm not arguing anything but just providing the fact that Jakob Chychrun has the 4 highest amount of PP goals by a D-man since 2019-20 (only Josi, Makar and Doughty have more). And that's despite missing more games than most.

Only 31 D-men have had more PP minutes than him during that period, 38th in PP TOI/GP

Chychrun is a defensive liability. I can count on one hand the number of d-men who have gone through this organization who looked as lost or uninterested in playing defense as he did. The worst part is he's in his prime; he's not changing his game significantly at this point.

From an asset value perspective, we were always going to lose a trade. From a positional standpoint (RD), I believe we won, even if Jensen is a borderline #4/5 d-man.

It's not because I made this post that I wanted to keep him. I was one of the very FEW who were not too hot on getting DeBrincat and Chychrun, thought they weren't exactly what this team needed. The only thing I did is witness more Dorion moves blow up in his face.

The facts I provided are still accurate. And yes, this trade tree is just another huge L in Dorion's loss column

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Ottawa doesn't have a Matt Roy to play with him. So who was going to cover up for him? RHD are scarce. You know what Ottawa does have now a RHD to play with Chabot. Who they got for..... Chychrun. Crazy concept eh. Maybe that perspective can be applied here in Ottawas evaluation.

Supply and demand lhd men are easy to get. Especially ones who suck defenisvely. Chychrun is on an expiring deal and was playing a role he was not suited for here so no him not competing and pouting won't be seen 'as a huge loss'.

lol why do you have to do that in basically every post?

I never said we had a Matt Roy. I also never said that I wanted to keep Chychrun. I kept repeating that he was the guy to trade when people wanted to run Chabot out of town last year. I was also not as high as others on getting DeBrincat and Chychrun, never thought they were the "right fits" for this team at that moment and it materialized. I talked about proper roster construction and Dorion trying to fit a square peg in a round hole YEARS ago. I was also getting flamed when I was saying we had no veterans in 2020-21, because I didn't consider guys like Stepan and Gudbranson the type of vets this team needed. Etc

It's not because you caught up on the story later that you have to try so hard to make it look like I don't "understand". Your shtick is getting old and lame...

Reactions: Hale The Villain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad