Sens reduce capacity at Canadian Tire Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
That must be old, because I just checked 2 minutes ago, and the seating map doesn't look anything like that anymore.

Looks like this:

FApQDR0.png
Just checked the date on the tweet I linked and its from yesterday evening

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Not sure you've noticed, but everything posted on these boards constitutes "opinion". This is not a theoretical physics exercise where we discuss "reality".

Not true. It's very possible to post "facts" and that's what I have been doing around here for the most part for the last decade. Most people go with their opinion and state it as it was the reality. I try to find arguments and facts to counter those opinions when I feel they are not accurate/true. I try to be objective as much as possible when analyzing a situation. Can't say the same for everyone on HF where bias and misconceptions are common.

In that case, it's a bit harder to do because we don't have all the info available but don't you think economic and demographic factors play a much bigger role in attendance decline than the "entertainment" factor that you seem to focus on? If that's not the case, then we will have to agree to disagree here.

Edit : if you tell me that the Sens marketing is lacking, there I might agree though. That's an area the team could improve vastly.

The bottom line is that the prospective customer decides if they spend money on this entertainment product and winning is not the only factor involved. As I mentioned in my previous post, I don't think they've designed a team and a style of play that is entertaining to watch and that is a major factor in the decline of attendance. They made the decision to focus on minor adjustments to personnel and ultimately a coach who can hopefully compensate for their lack of speed and skill by playing a grinding, highly defensive, counterattack system. I think he needs more talent up front to change this strategy, but his GM didn't address this at all in the off season and I think the fan base is, too some extent, responding to this.

Sens were "exciting" before last season but were bleeding too many goals against. Remember Spezza and Karlsson first few years? In the end, they were not winning, they had some decent seasons but couldn't have sustained success. They changed that and modeled their game the way you have to play in the playoffs to have success. If you know hockey and have been following the NHL for a while, you should know what I am talking about.

I repeat what I said earlier in that thread (GF/GP in the NHL) :

2011-12 : 4th
2012-13 : 27th (lock-out season, injuries to Karlsson, Spezza and Michalek, the team had to "turtle")
2013-14 : 11th
2014-15 : 9th
2015-16 : 9th

Sens were an offensive run and gun team prior to last season, they decided to change their whole system to give themselves a better chance to win in the playoffs. So far so good I'd say. They cam close to 1 double OT goal in game 7 against the Champs. In the end, the Sens had the 2nd/3rd best results of the whole NHL last season. And yet, some people here still complain :laugh:

It depends what you like. You want exciting hockey? Become a Jets fan, they score a lot of goals and have the most talent up front in the whole league. But have no playoffs success to date.

Personally, I want the team to be hard to play against and improve offensively with time. Chabot, Brown, White, Chlapik, Formenton, etc gives me hope.

Run and gun is fun, but in the end very frustrating. I actually would like a more "hybrid style" and I hope boucher develops his system towards being more offensive (has to find a way to have a more efficient PP first and foremost)

Personally, I have been entertained by most Sens games. The 2 first games this season for sure.

In the end, it is the organization's responsibility to provide a product that satisfies the fans and compels them to part with the hard earned dollars. I admit that its a tough fan base, but they have and will respond if the entertainment value is there.

History is littered with failed organizations (and owners) who perilously decided on the strategy of "blaming the customer".

If you know anything about the business world, you know that nobody would buy a costly business without doing a market study... They are pretty much aware of those simple facts :

- Ottawa is a small market compared to many other teams (~1 million population + ~250 000 in the CMA). Montreal is 3-4 times bigger and might start to struggle to sell out every game.

Life cost is getting very expensive. The available entertainment dollar is going down and options of where to spend it grow. Interest in hockey among younger generations is going down, you'd be surprised about the number of young people in Montreal who just don't care about hockey or who still think Subban plays for them. Some don't even know who Carey Price is.

- Ottawa is located between Montreal, Toronto and New York, the 3 biggest hockey markets. In the 1.25 million population in Ottawa area, among people who care about hockey, you have a lot of Leafs and Habs fans. So the Sens have a relatively small fanbase. Among that fanbase, who can afford tickets or have the time to go? 41 home games per season (6 months) is a lot.

Just that should give you an answer. No add the fact that the arena could be "too far" for many people, plus the traffic at the end of games, etc.

But if you still think after reading this that it is because the team is boring or not skilled/fast, then I am not sure what to tell you.

It's weird because I read that a lot on this board but NHLers or ex NHlers/coaches tell me the Sens are a fast team with some high end skill (Karlsson, Hoffman, Ryan, Stone, Turris, Brassard)

Is it arguable that Karlsson, Hoffman and Stone are high end skill? Ok Ryan (2nd OA), Turris (3rd OA) and Brassard (6th OA) were drafted high for a reason.

We will also add Chabot and Brown in the near future.

So the Habs home opener isn't sold out. Disgraceful. When are they going to move that team to Quebec? ;)

Gosh that would be the best thing to ever happen in the world. :sarcasm:

Source for this? If you can provide one, I'd like to start about 15 threads on the main boards.

:laugh:

That being said, it's gonna be full at game time though. Montreal is a huge market full of die-hard fans (however many are pissed with the team). That being said, watching the game on TV is so good these days that do you really need to spend 500$ (2 people in red section with parking and food) to go to the game? I went to a game against the Wild last year. It was written 206$ on our tickets. Glad my friend got them for free. He bought a beer and the lady said 12$ please, I said "oh no just one please, I don't drink"

Last edited:
Reactions: czechcanadian

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
The game against the Habs on Oct. 30th has loads of unsold seats, while the game against the Leafs is practically sold out. Come on Habs fans - help Melnyk out a bit. Shame on you!

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
A mod closed down a thread about Carolina's attendence after less than a page.

And yet people are allowed to make threads on the main boards about Sens attendence no problem.
:help:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

And yet people are allowed to make threads on the main boards about Sens attendence no problem.
Jealous of the sens run last year and their style of play has led to alot of sens haters. It's actually hilarious to watch because leaf and hab fans are so prevalent.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

Is there not a Sens attendance/bashing thread in the business portion that has been open for over a year now?

Regardless I like to celebrate the underdog/punching bag/small market label we have been tagged with, we can rustle some jimmies on occasion and that can be satisfying!

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Indeed. I was there, and it wasn't even close to full. Add to that the fact that a good 15% of the people there were sens fans, and you have a pretty poor showing by Vancouver fans.

I find it highly ironic and comical that our fan base is shaming others for poor attendance.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I find it highly ironic and comical that our fan base is shaming others for poor attendance.
It's pretty likely a reaction to the shaming this fan base took not too long ago. It seems as though attendance issues aren't unique to Ottawa; the the attacks on the fan base for not supporting it's team, or not being true fans were probably just a touch off base and hyperbolic.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yep, don't mind to do it. To my fanbase. I know better than to criticise other fans when ours are sadsack and excuse-ridden

Thank God we have you to remind us of how terrible we are collectively.

You really are a hero.

The fact remains that not every Canadian market sells out every game, and that includes Montreal now as well.

Maybe you should expand your zone of criticism. We might be able to spare a few of your posts so you can raise your kind of awareness on other boards.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Thank God we have you to remind us of how terrible we are collectively.

You really are a hero.

The fact remains that not every Canadian market sells out every game, and that includes Montreal now as well.

Maybe you should expand your zone of criticism. We might be able to spare a few of your posts so you can raise your kind of awareness on other boards.
I'm glad you find comfort in the Vancouver attendance decline, as if it validates all the lousy excuses one has to hear, And no, Micklebot, Ottawa's attendance issues are kinda unique when you are a playoff team and you make it to within one goal of the Cup Final. If Ottawa was playing like Vancouver, there may be an excuse for everyone to sink their teeth into, but as we know that isn't the case.

This is an attendance issue thread, and I am on the other side of the fence. If that makes me a hero, lol...it just makes you look sad and incredibly defensive.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm glad you find comfort in the Vancouver attendance decline, as if it validates all the lousy excuses one has to hear, And no, Micklebot, Ottawa's attendance issues are kinda unique when you are a playoff team and you make it to within one goal of the Cup Final. If Ottawa was playing like Vancouver, there may be an excuse for everyone to sink their teeth into, but as we know that isn't the case.

This is an attendance issue thread, and I am on the other side of the fence. If that makes me a hero, lol...it just makes you look sad and incredibly defensive.

You know, when you look down your nose at a group of people long enough, the only thing you succeed in doing is driving them further away. Liberals found out that part the hard way in the last US election.

You really want more people to Sens games? Find out why people aren't showing up, and do something to change the game experience to make it more attractive to fans. This thread is already littered with good suggestions on that matter.

Reactions: DDT and Smash88

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

So you'd only excuse not attending games for a team that isn't winning, but thousands of the local fans not getting paid properly is just excuses? Don't fall off that pedestal of yours, it's mighty high and you might just get hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad