OT: Sens Lounge -The four seasons edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
A little misleading, they still plan for 90-100% of sales to be EV or hybrid by 2030, but will be making up the difference with mild hybrids.

I suspect tariffs on Chinese manufacturing played a role in this as well, as Volvo uses factories in China. When the entry price to EVs is among the driving factors to demand, having major markets in Eur, US and Canada artificially inflate prices is going to slow progress.

The reality is a transition to fully EV by 2030 was always going to be reliant on political willpower to help drive the change, and governments have been inconsistent in their level of support, you can't sell cars to just the locations that are pushing for converting to EV. I don't think it was ever realistic to expect a 100% target to be met, but sometimes you set lofty goals to drive innovation.

Government has no business in driving innovation. The free market will determine what car manufacturers will produce…. If BEVs are what people want, they will produce them.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Government has no business in driving innovation. The free market will determine what car manufacturers will produce…. If BEVs are what people want, they will produce them.
I guess govt should stop building the roads that allow modern cars to get around, they have no business supporting that technology, if people what it they can build roads themselves. They should do away with patent laws too since those are intended to stimulate innovation. They should do away with any for of research grants too, no business funding innovation...

They also should probably do away with the tens of billions in oil and fossil fuel subsidies they give since the free market will decide.

Reactions: maclean and BigRig4

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I guess govt should stop building the roads that allow modern cars to get around, they have no business supporting that technology, if people what it they can build roads themselves. They should do away with patent laws too since those are intended to stimulate innovation. They should do away with any for of research grants too, no business funding innovation...

They also should probably do away with the tens of billions in oil and fossil fuel subsidies they give since the free market will decide.
Government creates regulations

Regulating the emissions is good.

Thinking the average joe can buy an EV is ridiculous. Especially in this economy.

My bestie Milei said it best

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018

Excellent sarcastic reply. Its always funny when someone goes all free market is best market.

Government absolutely should drive innovation. The list of government funded r&d that's currently a part of our lives is longer than my arm (gps, microchips, the internet, the first vaccines, bar codes, mri...).

Heck, I bet many people here don't even know how much government funded autonomous vehicle research is happening in this very city, research that is poised to make it's way directly to the consumer market.

Government creates regulations

Regulating the emissions is good.

Thinking the average joe can buy an EV is ridiculous. Especially in this economy.

My bestie Milei said it best

The hilarious irony here, to me at least, is that governments do create wealth: by funding r&d that leads to products that companies can bring to market. Something the fed is actively doing here through notable programs like IRAP that fund small and medium enterprise r&d. I know a number of companies that have brought products to market (or are in the process of doing so) that have been funded by this program.

Reactions: BigRig4

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Excellent sarcastic reply. Its always funny when someone goes all free market is best market.

Government absolutely should drive innovation. The list of government funded r&d that's currently a part of our lives is longer than my arm (gps, microchips, the internet, the first vaccines, bar codes, mri...).

Heck, I bet many people here don't even know how much government funded autonomous vehicle research is happening in this very city, research that is poised to make it's way directly to the consumer market.

The hilarious irony here, to me at least, is that governments do create wealth: by funding r&d that leads to products that companies can bring to market. Something the fed is actively doing here through notable programs like IRAP that fund small and medium enterprise r&d. I know a number of companies that have brought products to market (or are in the process of doing so) that have been funded by this program.
I agree with R&D funding, that is typical. I am talking about the stuff like green slush fund that recently took place.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
I agree with R&D funding, that is typical. I am talking about the stuff like green slush fund that recently took place.
Yes, the SDTC scandal was bad (green slush fund was a CPC push to rebrand it for political points, BTW...). That programs funding now operates under IRAP and eventually out of the newly formed CIC in a few years.

Regardless of sdtcs justified downfall, they actually funded a crap ton of r&d/innovation over 20+ years with a specific aim to get that technology to market. Their funding created around 25k jobs, and their companies have generated over $3b in annual revenues.

So, to riff off your pal, they created both wealth and corruption?

Side note: let's not sit here and pretend that the private sector isn't rife with corruption.

In any case, we get the new CIC out of all of this, and government will continue to fund r&d and innovation through a variety if programming, because, frankly, it works.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

The government subsidies the BEV industry…perhaps you heard of the “investments” the government made in Battery manufacturing plants in Ontario? So yes, they should eliminate those subsidies too…. And yes let the market determine what car manufacturers they want to support…..

As for your comments on roads….. apples compared to oranges, doesn’t apply here.

Perhaps you want the government to control more of the private sector and select Burger King as the only fast food burger chain, and force its competitors to either convert to BK or shutdown…. And select one grocery store chain… Metro, and do the same thing?

As for me, I trust the consumer to select what type a vehicle they want to purchase, and which burger place they want to eat at on the way to the grocery store of their choice…. And the car manufacturer, Burger chain and grocery store that offers the better products will thrive.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

A new chapter begin

It's not the same as before, but it doesn't have to be. The new singer is 'good enough' which is honestly all we can ask for. She does growls similar to Chester Bennington, but her clean singing and screaming isn't the same but it's not bad.

I heard the live stream where she sang their regular songs, it'll take some time to get used to but she's fine for the most part. Looking forward to seeing them on tour if they come to Ontario

Reactions: Crosside

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
We just moved in a month ago and have a baby on the way lol priorities. Also, my dad keeps borrowing my weed Wacker and left it at the cottage.

you just reminded me a friend's had my drill for like 2-3 years

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
1725970341456.png

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Gotta love how the government forced employees to return to the office more often without having proper infrastructure to handle the extra traffic. Commute took 50% longer. Parking garages full by 7:45. No light rail running. No more express buses.

City in way more gridlock polluting the air... Shops have already moved out to the suburbs so they don't benefit from this...

What's the plan here?

Reactions: DrEasy

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

I work at ISED (innovation, science, and economic development Canada) in the SRS (science and research sector) and we do just like you say. We set up grants and funding to companies, universities, and students who are developing or working on cutting edge technologies.

So to anyone wondering, yes, we do fund for innovation and developing new technologies to help Canadian companies which would boost the Canadian economy. Unfortunately we are also suffering from massive cuts recently. A lot of science programs are being cut or trimmed this year.

Reactions: Relapsing

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Gotta love how the government forced employees to return to the office more often without having proper infrastructure to handle the extra traffic. Commute took 50% longer. Parking garages full by 7:45. No light rail running. No more express buses.

City in way more gridlock polluting the air... Shops have already moved out to the suburbs so they don't benefit from this...

What's the plan here?
I hear ya... Not to mention students back in school. I live in Pineview and work at Terrace de la Chaudière in Gatineau. I leave around 6:30am, so not the worse. But, co-workers who arrive for 8am, sure pay the price lol.

Our office buildings shut for renovations and we were forced to move to a much smaller space. Now, they bump up to 3 days a week and people are fighting for unassigned cubicle spots.

I'm lucky/unlucky. My spots are reserved, being I'm in IT and here 5 days a week.

Reactions: StoicSensFan

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

What's the plan here?
Plan?

Reactions: jbeck5

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....

What's the plan here?

Landlords of real estate for and around federal government offices make more money. That's the plan. Make the billionaires richer on the backs of the plebs and the environment.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
I hear ya... Not to mention students back in school. I live in Pineview and work at Terrace de la Chaudière in Gatineau. I leave around 6:30am, so not the worse. But, co-workers who arrive for 8am, sure pay the price lol.

Our office buildings shut for renovations and we were forced to move to a much smaller space. Now, they bump up to 3 days a week and people are fighting for unassigned cubicle spots.

I'm lucky/unlucky. My spots are reserved, being I'm in IT and here 5 days a week.
Great spot once the arena (if it does) goes up at Lebreton. Do they still do Suzy Q donuts on Wednesday mornings in the food court?

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I work at ISED (innovation, science, and economic development Canada) in the SRS (science and research sector) and we do just like you say. We set up grants and funding to companies, universities, and students who are developing or working on cutting edge technologies.

So to anyone wondering, yes, we do fund for innovation and developing new technologies to help Canadian companies which would boost the Canadian economy. Unfortunately we are also suffering from massive cuts recently. A lot of science programs are being cut or trimmed this year.
You working on the tech side? I'm in professional services lemme know if you need some bodies

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Landlords of real estate for and around federal government offices make more money. That's the plan. Make the billionaires richer on the backs of the plebs and the environment.

I guess this is what PSAC is trying to draw out by taking the Treasury board to court? Show the real motives behind the move and then take advantage of it during CBA negotiations next year.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Is it just me or this forum's old domain name (I think it was "hfboards.mandatory.com") just expired a week or so ago? Some of my bookmarks weren't working anymore, and I was all confused... We may have lost a few forum members due to this!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad