OT: Sens Lounge LXXXII | Rise of Omni / Caeldan, the YES man

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Unfortunately it seems you ended just a little prematurely... got up for nothing!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
IDK I spend a lot of times with friends and what not. I am just very terrible at meeting people. I have no idea what to say to people I don't know. I think all the people I met over the last year were from school or work, and my friends GF. Even around people I know well I am good with a conversation, but am terrible at starting them. I feel like it is related to how when I was a kid almost all my friends moved away, and than one guy just randomly decided he didn't want to be my friend.

Also, would it be a bad idea to ask a friends GF if she has any single friends? Probably?

Don't worry about the content of what you say too much

Just talk to people about things you find interesting, things you did in the day and what they made you think about, talk about what you learned today, talk about something that made you mad, something that made you happy

Just don't worry too much about how you seem to others

It sounds like you are comparing yourself to others who you might find have a way with conversations but the truth of the matter is that, most of the time, those people are just ok with saying what's on their mind, know how to present those thoughts in an engaging manner (this is really important), and are good listeners.

Then, the other thing to keep in mind, is that it's a never-ending process, you don't suddenly "get it". You just have to take a deep breath, do what you think will work, pay attention to how things play out, learn from how things went and go from there

You should ponder the events and what they mean in a greater context aftewards, not during the moment

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I really want to emphasize presenting their thoughts in an engaging manner

There are ways to talk to people that will make people want to engage in a discussion and others that shut that down

Being over-the-top or contrarian shut down conversations so be mindful of that

How do I know? I'm terrible at presenting my thoughts in an engaging manner (I used to be very over-the-top in my opinions but less so now, I remain very contrarian however) to people my age, I can only get into good discussions with older people :laugh:

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
As someone who moved out East without knowing anyone, I always say sports is the great equalizer. I signed up for anything I could that would get me out of the house and introduce me to people. Some were hits and some were total misses. I met all my current friends through one hockey team.

Also, anyone watching Constantine? I can't tell if it's good or cheesingly bad.

Gotham, OTH, is AWFUL.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I watched the first five episodes of Constantine so far... enjoyed it.
Seems to fall into that guilty pleasure category I think.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Never been to Singapore, nor do I know much about it.

But I hear that it's official language is English?

English is one of it's FOUR official languages.

There are four official languages, English, Malay, Mandarin, and Tamil, and the country promotes multiculturalism through a range of official policies.

English is the language of Business there, though. Malay is everywhere because they border Malaysia, Mandarin is popular because there are a crazy insane number of ethnic Chinese there, and Tamil because that's where they get their insanely cheap labor (like, all the construction guys, everywhere).

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Well that's interesting.

Going to have to check it out for myself in the future.

I always hear about people going over to Singapore for business related jobs, now I know why.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I always hear about people going over to Singapore for business related jobs, now I know why.

Yeah, it's definitely a city that caters to the super-wealthy.

Financial capital of S.E. Asia + "Singpaore is the new Switzerland for offshore banking" = Ridiculously Over-The-Top Culture of Wealth and Showing Off Your Wealth

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
IDK I spend a lot of times with friends and what not. I am just very terrible at meeting people. I have no idea what to say to people I don't know. I think all the people I met over the last year were from school or work, and my friends GF. Even around people I know well I am good with a conversation, but am terrible at starting them. I feel like it is related to how when I was a kid almost all my friends moved away, and than one guy just randomly decided he didn't want to be my friend.

Also, would it be a bad idea to ask a friends GF if she has any single friends? Probably?
You seem to be fine having conversations online though, judging by this forum. Have you considered online dating? Once you're comfortable with the girl you shouldn't have any issues making conversation with her in real life.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
Computer question!:

Can anyone recommend me a good Windows tablet? I was thinking about getting one. I need it to be windows for the software that I run.

Here's basically what I need:
Be able to run multiple things at once.
Decent battery life
Doesn't have to be great for gaming, but I need it to be able to run n64 and psx emulators... And hopefully indie games and, on low graphics, games that are like 2+ years old (but not super necessary)

Oh, and USB slots !

I was thinking about getting the Surface Pro 3. ~~1,000$ is my budget, but I'd rather spend less.

Thanks guys/!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
If you want a windows tablet and want something that works well Surface Pro or bust

Ask the Geek Emporium though, they are the experts

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
You seem to be fine having conversations online though, judging by this forum. Have you considered online dating? Once you're comfortable with the girl you shouldn't have any issues making conversation with her in real life.

I've been trying for a year, one date (thought it went okay but never got a second), once stood up. I think part of the problem is profile pictures. Like I say I am not the best looking, and I am very un-photogenic, the camera always catches me making a weird face. Another part is it is hard to write a first message that sticks out. Girls get dozens of messages and even if you get a reply or two you have to keep sending messages that stick out.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I've been trying for a year, one date (thought it went okay but never got a second), once stood up. I think part of the problem is profile pictures. Like I say I am not the best looking, and I am very un-photogenic, the camera always catches me making a weird face. Another part is it is hard to write a first message that sticks out. Girls get dozens of messages and even if you get a reply or two you have to keep sending messages that stick out.

Just spam messages to anyone you think is cute or sounds cool. Its not exactly romantic, but you will get responses.

Girls get so many messages on those sites that its not a shot against you if they dont respond. Some might never read it, some aren't attracted. Some are shallow. Whatever. Not every girl is going to be attracted to you, but some will.

Spam spam spam. Have no shame, its the internet!

Saabman0508

Harb Quote Count: 9
Aug 15, 2010
Ottawa

Well Sask, looks like lots of other people are trying to help out so I guess I'll chime in too. I don't have any advice on how to get girls since I still have no clue how I ended up with my gf. We met online in a game chat room, kept talking and then transitioned from there. What I can say is this. The things that I didn't like about myself before haven't gone away. My gf is somebody that I can talk to more than anything, she hasn't instantly solved any of my problems, although she has helped with some. I'm still as crazy as ever :laugh: So, my advice is this. Don't focus on it, as hard as it sounds like that may be. If it's getting to you, do something else to take your mind off of it. Is there a hobby you always wanted to try out, or maybe you wanted to get in better shape? Hell, even just eating healthier could work. Find something about yourself that you want to change and pursue that. That way, regardless of whether or not you find somebody, you'll be happier with yourself. I'm of the train of thought that if it's meant to be, it's meant to be. That's not to say that relationships don't take work, because they absolutely do, but they shouldn't be forced either. Try to be a better you and sooner or later somebody will notice and say "That guy is pretty awesome. And he's a Sens fan!". In the mean time, keep your chin up and come here and vent when you need to. :)

(Take all of that with a grain of salt. I'll be the first one to tell you I have no clue what I'm talking about! :laugh: )

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

I know you've probably heard this and it may seem a little cliche or unlikely, but you'd be surprised how easy it is to just walk up to a girl and chat her up. It's about as hard as walking up to one and just starting the conversation with a "hi, how are you?". Seriously, it's that easy.

Here's the key, never be discouraged by the ones who say no or turn you down. Keep working angles...you'll be surprised how many say yes.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Just spam messages to anyone you think is cute or sounds cool. Its not exactly romantic, but you will get responses.

Girls get so many messages on those sites that its not a shot against you if they dont respond. Some might never read it, some aren't attracted. Some are shallow. Whatever. Not every girl is going to be attracted to you, but some will.

Spam spam spam. Have no shame, its the internet!

Corsi

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Sask, if my experiences in the Starbucks lineup at the Singapore Airport of are any relevance, my best recommendations for you as far as meeting girls is concerned would be that you need to become 6'5" and be chiseled like a greek god, and wear clothing that reflects how much money you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad