GDT: Sens @ Leafs pre-season - 7PM EST

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Age or ability doesnt matter? You are comparing a 27 year olds recent stats to a 39 year olds lol.

Lets gather up Forsberg, Sakic, Roy, Hasek and Gretzky, Orr, Lidstrom and build a perennial champion. Apparently age doesnt effect abilities!

I don't know if reading comprehension is the issue or what, but the discussion is around a comment Ovechkin made about what it takes to win, not about people's playing ability.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Bringing a DJ to training camp kinda says something about where their focus was at. Training camp is a time to get down to business and be serious after an entire summer off. These guys were treating it as a party.

Hard to take this core seriously when they don’t take their jobs seriously. Excited to see Berube smack some sense into these morons though.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Bringing a DJ to training camp kinda says something about where their focus was at. Training camp is a time to get down to business and be serious after an entire summer off. These guys were treating it as a party.

Hard to take this core seriously when they don’t take their jobs seriously. Excited to see Berube smack some sense into these morons though.
I don't understand this line of logic that music=not serious/focused

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Another way to look at things, is the league didn't think the core players around the league needed a few games to warm up there would be no preseason and it would just be a rookie tournament.

Expecting guys to be flying out there with zero rust from the opening second just isn't being realistic

Exactly, I’ve stated it a few times but if this effort is still there game 5,6,7 of preseason I’d understand the frustration but after one game it’s a bit premature.

Reactions: Menzinger

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Other than focusing a bit too much on the defensive end, he wasn't bad. He was in the proper positioning for a centre pretty much all game.

On the first Ottawa goal he was in position and covering his man in front on the net. The puck went from the winger in the corner to the defenceman who scored.

On the third Ottawa goal he was in position covering his man in front of the net. The centre got his foot on the puck, then passed it back to the defenceman who scored. Yes, he lost that puck battle.

Oddly enough, the player who scored both those goals would have been his man if he was playing wing, and he likely would have been covering them as he usually did. Domi was the RW for both goals.

Yes, not great, but not bad for a first game - let's see how he's doing after 20.

Jenik was the 3rd foward ( not a defenceman) and nylander was covering absolutly nobody. It was a 2v2 battle in the corner and Jenik was his player.

1000004216.jpg

On the 4th goal, yes his position was right. He lost his 1v1 battle vs Jenik who had been able to make a pass sebrango who scored. But Willy is not the only one to blame on this one. A lot of miscues happened in this one.

but like i said its game 1 of pre-swason and he need time to adapt... But if its still the way he play game 20, that will be an issues but right now its just a part of process.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Did you see the winning goal by Ottawa?

Rookie Dman Carter Yakemchuk lights the lamp in OT, as Marner watches with limited effort.

Did you ever play hockey? probably not...

Yakemchuk skating on mccabe side became mccabe guy. He turned his back to Yakemchuk!!! Something you should never do especially at 3v3 and get beat in the inside. It was a terrible play by Mccabe and it was 100% his fault.

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I don't know if reading comprehension is the issue or what, but the discussion is around a comment Ovechkin made about what it takes to win, not about people's playing ability.
My comments are completely relevant to you indicating Ovechkin hasn't made it past the 1st rnd since making those comments.

Here your statement is, ive bolded it for you to make it REALLY SIMPLE (because I know you need it to be):

Can you comment on when he apparently changed his game?

He is discussing how he learned to win by not focusing on hockey as an individual...

Since then he exited the first round once.

At least try to follow along.

You claimed Ovechkin hasn't been out of the first round since making those comments. I pointed out he was 34-38 years old during that span. Before then, he advanced past the first round 70% of the time. Meanwhile, the Leafs, including Marner, have made it past the first round just 12% of their playoff appearances in their 20's.

So, how is this not relevant? If age isn't a factor, as you suggest, then why do players retire?

I'll grab my popcorn.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I have walked into an arena and heard a Minor Midget team blasting music during practice... with the worst record in the league. Focus wasn't the first thing I thought of.

Odds are it wasn’t about having fun but Keefe or one of the 1000 niche advisors on the staff reading some study that music helps XYZ performance outcome. If I remember correctly, there was a study that showed getting elite athletes to do stationary bikes with a VR headset on improved their endurance by something like 10% because they had something else to focus on besides how shitty they felt by the end of it.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
1 preseason game and everyone is up in a hizzy

I remember when Alexander suglobov got a hat trick in a preseason game. That’s when I learned it doesn’t mean shit.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Exactly, I’ve stated it a few times but if this effort is still there game 5,6,7 of preseason I’d understand the frustration but after one game it’s a bit premature.
If they are doing the same nonsense in game 5,6,7 the frustration and racket will be biblical…….i mean real, Old Testament sh$t Myself included

Reactions: rumman

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
My comments are completely relevant to you indicating Ovechkin hasn't made it past the 1st rnd since making those comments.

Here your statement is, ive bolded it for you to make it REALLY SIMPLE (because I know you need it to be):

You claimed Ovechkin hasn't been out of the first round since making those comments. I pointed out he was 34-38 years old during that span. Before then, he advanced past the first round 70% of the time. Meanwhile, the Leafs, including Marner, have made it past the first round just 12% of their playoff appearances in their 20's.

So, how is this not relevant? If age isn't a factor, as you suggest, then why do players retire?

I'll grab my popcorn.

Ovechkin had advice about what it takes to win a cup.

Why did he not apply that to every year he played?

Why did his winning last for only a year?

What year did he learn this?

Presumably around the time he won a cup, so why does he never win a single round again?

Trotz is a great coach but has won 1 cup in 23 seasons, why didn't he just take his own advice more on what it takes to win?

This is very simple, no one cares about Ovechkin's age, he is discussing learning a lesson in his career, therefore the time before the lesson is irrelevant, I want to know why it looks like there is one outlier of a season and then he went back to losing if he learned such a great lesson.

Last edited by a moderator:

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
1 preseason game and everyone is up in a hizzy

I remember when Alexander suglobov got a hat trick in a preseason game. That’s when I learned it doesn’t mean shit.
Mainly because we see this type of effort all all times of the regular season and playoffs.
Berube has a major battle on his hands to straighten them out. I hope he is up to it and that upper management is willing to support this coach

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
If they are doing the same nonsense in game 5,6,7 the frustration and racket will be biblical…….i mean real, Old Testament sh$t Myself included

And that would be justified, I’d probably be feeling the same way. But I’m not gonna get to that point after 1 game lol. I’m just glad we walked away with no injury.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
And that would be justified, I’d probably be feeling the same way. But I’m not gonna get to that point after 1 game lol. I’m just glad we walked away with no injury.
I’m disappointed in that I thought they might put on a better effort for their fans and to show things are going to be different this year but here we are

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Did you ever play hockey? probably not...

Yakemchuk skating on mccabe side became mccabe guy. He turned his back to Yakemchuk!!! Something you should never do especially at 3v3 and get beat in the inside. It was a terrible play by Mccabe and it was 100% his fault.
Keep and eye on #16 that is Marner in case you're aware. :wg:

Who is the player standing right beside Yakemchuk, with one hand on his stick and a lazy half ass effort to prevent the winning goal?

Kind of reminds Leaf Fans on Pastrnak series winner last year in the playoffs with Marner the last man back and 0% chance of changing the result.

Lucky this was just a meaningless exhibition game, however if that was a real game coach Berube would be tearing Marner a new one for that effort on the play. IMO

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Keep and eye on #16 that is Marner in case you're aware. :wg:

Who is the player standing right beside Yakemchuk, with one hand on his stick and a lazy half ass effort to prevent the winning goal?

Kind of reminds Leaf Fans on Pastrnak series winner last year in the playoffs with Marner the last man back and 0% chance of changing the result.

Lucky this was just a meaningless exhibition game, however if that was a real game coach Berube would be tearing Marner a new one for that effort on the play. IMO

You could have just said "no, I never played" instead of typing all this out.

Reactions: francis246

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Mainly because we see this type of effort all all times of the regular season and playoffs.
Berube has a major battle on his hands to straighten them out. I hope he is up to it and that upper management is willing to support this coach
People are entitled to be disappointed in the game for sure, I was more so referring to the ongoing arguments in this thread.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
People are entitled to be disappointed in the game for sure, I was more so referring to the ongoing arguments in this thread.
Fair enough. I have been mostly sitting back and reading the real juicy comments on both sides.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I’m disappointed in that I thought they might put on a better effort for their fans and to show things are going to be different this year but here we are

It’s only game 1 buddy. I think you honestly have to give it time. And before you go ballistic saying it’s been 8 years which I understand. They are trying to change the culture. You are not going to be able to change deeply rooted issues/habits in 3 days. I don’t care how good of a coach you are.

The best thing we can cling to is Berube’s post game comments. He got to see first hand what he will no longer tolerate. Might take a few weeks. But there are things I saw from last nights game I DID like. Look at how our goals were scored. In the slot. It wasn’t a lot of fancy plays. Just good shots/tips in the slot. PP has faster movement and our d could actually break the puck out. Will take some time to get the effort level thing going.

I also had a moment of eye roll when Marner had a chance to cut to the net but circled around the net. But I’m hoping we get rid of that part of his game.

Jun 27, 2005
Dude, stop taking the troll bait. You're the only person that still responds to this guy and the only reason the rest of us are seeing his nonsense. STOP responding.

You could have just said "no, I never played" instead of typing all this out.
Same for this guy. Just stop dude.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad