GDT: Sens @ Leafs pre-season - 7PM EST

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Did you see the winning goal by Ottawa?

Rookie Dman Carter Yakemchuk lights the lamp in OT, as Marner watches with limited effort.

Marner can’t put effort into his first game back ….

This won’t end well. No matter how it plays out.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Every team gets too cute at times. Every team gets not cute enough at times. Every team goes through all of these things, and has things to work on.
No team is perfect in game 7 of the Stanley Cup, let alone game 1 of preseason.
You must have learned how to make excuses at the same place as Marner. Marner "It's the hardest trophy to win for a reason".

If this was true Trotz and Berube wouldn't bother even saying it. Ovechkin even talked about it years ago:

Alex Ovechkin has some advice for the Toronto Maple Leafs if they want to win a Stanley Cup.

Play differently.

"They're still a young group of guys. Hopefully they're going to learn, but ... it's up to them how they want to do it," Ovechkin told reporters prior to his team's game in Toronto against the Leafs on Tuesday. "If they want to play for yourself or if they want to win a Stanley Cup, they'll have to play differently.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You must have learned how to make excuses at the same place as Marner. Marner "It's the hardest trophy to win for a reason".

If this was true Trotz and Berube wouldn't bother even saying it. Ovechkin even talked about it years ago:

Sucks that Ovi only wanted to win one year.

I hate these stupid quotes by players about what it takes to win... why don't they just win every year if that's all it takes?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I get why people might think or wish that effort/compete level is the same regardless of regular season, playoffs and preseason. And with the first two it absolutely should, he or higher in playoffs, but the preseason just is not the same.

It’s a very rare player that is going give you their best in the preseason if they are secure in their spot on the team and frankly you don’t need it right now.

Preseason results are entirely meaningless and veteran players are going through the motions 1) until they start getting paid 2) to avoid injury 3) until the results actually matter.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I get why people might think or wish that effort/compete level is the same regardless of regular season, playoffs and preseason. And with the first two it absolutely should, he or higher in playoffs, but the preseason just is not the same.

It’s a very rare player that is going give you their best in the preseason if they are secure in their spot on the team and frankly you don’t need it right now.

Preseason results are entirely meaningless and veteran players are going through the motions 1) until they start getting paid 2) to avoid injury 3) until the results actually matter.

Yup, same case year after year.

Vets don't give a damn until about the last few games of the pre season when the opening night rosters start taking shape.

Reactions: Sypher04

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Sucks that Ovi only wanted to win one year.

I hate these stupid quotes by players about what it takes to win... why don't they just win every year if that's all it takes?

You have the best takes.

What does a veteran Cup winner and one of the best hockey players ever know about being a young superstar chasing a trophy or winning cup.

You told them well notbias.

Ovi said they need a different mindset if they hope to win the cup. You and francis go straight to 5th grade, "Ovi only wanted to win the Cup that one year".

Well played. It must be fun, trying to teach you anything.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

I’d say with a new coach every player would want to make a good impression, at least the one’s who care I would imagine……..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad