GDT: Sens @ Leafs pre-season - 7PM EST

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The outcome is still the same, McCabe is trusted to take the man attacking him...

This is such a weird convo, I don't know how anyone who has seen more than 1 game thinks this is anyone but McCabe's fault.
No “I” in team………

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Colorado went 2-4-0 the year they won the cup.

Tampa 3-3-0

Washington 2-5-0

I searched up the last 20 cup champs. There’s a mixed bag. Ultimately preseason isn’t a good indicator for anything related to regular season or post season success. Most teams went .500 in pre season so they had good games and bad games.

As many people have also referenced Ottawa has had some of the best pre season records the last 3-4 years, lots of compete and energy from them but they don’t win in the regular season or sniff the playoffs.

Do you feel like Toronto should be compared to Colorado and Tampa during their championship seasons? I’m just talking about the same bad habits that were front and center first game back.

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
So he should have tripped him? What is your argument? He should have put more effort into his stick check like McCabe did?

Don’t go behind the net when you’re gassed should be pretty clear where I stand on the Matthews part of that play. Don’t think I’m leaving that too vague.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Don’t go behind the net when you’re gassed should be pretty clear where I stand on the Matthews part of that play. Don’t think I’m leaving that too vague.

Why do you think he was gassed? Because he deferred the defending to cover the trailing guys when he saw there were two back and a single attacking player?

Your argument doesn't make sense.

No “I” in team………

There is one in "irrelevant post"

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Did you see the winning goal by Ottawa?

Rookie Dman Carter Yakemchuk lights the lamp in OT, as Marner watches with limited effort.

I know you have an irrational hate for Mitch Marner but have to be f***ing blind to not see that that goal is Jake McCabe's fault he's the one that got deeked.

It's game 1 of pre season so it doesn't mean a damn thing.

But if you insist on blaming somebody at least blame the right person which in this case is Jake McCabe

Reactions: Roo and francis246

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
View attachment 908958

You think Marner should have went behind McCabe here to cover for McCabe making a terrible decision?

Everyone takes a man in 3 on 3, Marner is looking for the late guy here...

All McCabe has to do is stay between the attacker and the goalie...
He wouldve been waiting a long time..the Sens other 2 players hadnt even crossed the red line. Marner had the perfect view of them way down the ice.

God forbid Marner needs to make a diving effort for that play or any play. He wont because hes too afraid of getting hit by the puck. Before someone says, its just preseason, watch the game back and 34 year old Tavares is going down to block a shot with his face. Nope...not Marner. Once again, hard work vs compete.

1727113063681.png

Last edited:

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He wouldve been waiting a long time..the Sens other 2 players hadnt even crossed the red line. Marner had the perfect view of them way down the ice.

God forbid Marner needs to make a diving effort for that play or any play. He wont because hes too afraid of getting hit by the puck. Before someone says, its just preseason, watch the game back and 34 year old Tavares is going down to block a shot with his face. Nope...not Marner. Once again, hard work vs compete.

View attachment 908975

Screenshot 2024-09-23 at 1.43.03 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-09-23 at 1.43.21 PM.png

Absolutely terrified...

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Seems that some people still haven't figured out that all of these catastrophized "bad habit" narratives are really just normal things that all NHL teams experience. If you expect perfection at all times, especially in preseason, you're always going to be disappointed, no matter who you cheer for or what you change.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Seems that some people still haven't figured out that all of these catastrophized "bad habit" narratives are really just normal things that all NHL teams experience. If you expect perfection at all times, especially in preseason, you're always going to be disappointed, no matter who you cheer for or what you change.
Tell Berube it's normal. Tell Trotz it's normal. Both said leafs are too cute 3 years apart.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Do you feel like Toronto should be compared to Colorado and Tampa during their championship seasons? I’m just talking about the same bad habits that were front and center first game back.

Obviously not. but you’re kidding yourself if you think Colorado had those habits game 1. If they did they wouldn’t have gone 2-5-0 right?

Like I said I watched every game yesterday and vets on really good teams were literally out there making the same low effort players as the leafs. No one was trying to get hurt. It’s lunacy to expect the top guys to be crashing hard on the forecheck game 1.

I understand you’re trying to make it a leaf thing right now because that’s what the leafs have consistently shown us. No one is denying that. But I think you need to give them more than a game with a new coach before going crazy on this. If you wanna call it an excuse so be it. But I’ve coached (not hockey) at a really high level for a long time now, coming into a new program and trying to establish new systems, routines takes a while. Based on my experience, Berube’s roster choice was intentional to see exactly which habits need weeding out.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
So shortening the bench and stacking late to press for the tying goal.

Someone would have to be really desperate to use that as a sign that they had ended the Willy at centre experiment, especially considering that he did reasonably well there.

In that game Nylander was not a good game outside scored tying goal especially in the defensive side, thats it but was a pretty tought 1st game at C. He was looking lost at time like the ottawa 1st goal, i think he lost a 1v1 battle on 3 or 4th goal

But he need time to adapt for sure and i dont know if we could expect anything else from a guy who pratically didn't play at C last 8 years. Let's see with couple of game what it will look like

• Haha
Reactions: ULF_55

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I'm seeing that it wasn't Marner's guy, and the moment McCabe got burnt, Marner turned to try and cover
Marner probably could've done more with his stick and body there, but that one wasn't really on him.

McCabe was caught flatfooted and didn't read Yakemchuk well
Since the other two Sens were just crossing centre ice, which was Marner's man?

The player skated right by Matty, beat McCabe badly, easily fended off Mitch, and fooled Martin. Lots of blame to go around.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Obviously not. but you’re kidding yourself if you think Colorado had those habits game 1. If they did they wouldn’t have gone 2-5-0 right?

Like I said I watched every game yesterday and vets on really good teams were literally out there making the same low effort players as the leafs. No one was trying to get hurt. It’s lunacy to expect the top guys to be crashing hard on the forecheck game 1.

I understand you’re trying to make it a leaf thing right now because that’s what the leafs have consistently shown us. No one is denying that. But I think you need to give them more than a game with a new coach before going crazy on this. If you wanna call it an excuse so be it. But I’ve coached (not hockey) at a really high level for a long time now, coming into a new program and trying to establish new systems, routines takes a while. Based on my experience, Berube’s roster choice was intentional to see exactly which habits need weeding out.

Every game the Leafs play, I will give them an honest assessment of how I feel about it. Just my approach but I don’t think the Rome wasn’t built in a day mentality makes sense because we are trying unbuild something that wasn’t good enough at the same time something new is being constructed.

Comparisons with championship teams, I’m not too fond of that either. This team came up at the same time as Colorado, Florida and may be a little behind Tampa and each of those teams took massive steps years ago through roster change, organizational philosophy change; etc. I just don’t think the fact they had failure, we have failure therefore we’ll give them time to figure it out makes the most sense.

But we agree Berube saw some good, bad and ugly and he’s going to work them.

Reactions: francis246

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Misunderstanding? Play heavy.

Use you body more and be more physical was the intention?

Get heavier was the interpretation?
No idea, but I’ve seen plenty of players bulk up and not be as effective, in fact the goal should be to get stronger not bigger……..

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Tell Berube it's normal. Tell Trotz it's normal. Both said leafs are too cute 3 years apart.
Every team gets too cute at times. Every team gets not cute enough at times. Every team goes through all of these things, and has things to work on.
No team is perfect in game 7 of the Stanley Cup, let alone game 1 of preseason.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Excuse #1 in a long list of excuses coming up.
It's not an excuse, it's reality. When's preseason superstar Malgin gonna light up the NHL? How about we go way back, Simon Gamache was a future hall of fame based on his preseason play. Came up a little short with 6 career goals.

For the record I think this team will be worse than last year. But that doesn't change how meaningless preseason is for vets.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
In that game Nylander was not a good game outside scored tying goal especially in the defensive side, thats it but was a pretty tought 1st game at C. He was looking lost at time like the ottawa 1st goal, i think he lost a 1v1 battle on 3 or 4th goal

But he need time to adapt for sure and i dont know if we could expect anything else from a guy who pratically didn't play at C last 8 years. Let's see with couple of game what it will look like
Other than focusing a bit too much on the defensive end, he wasn't bad. He was in the proper positioning for a centre pretty much all game.

On the first Ottawa goal he was in position and covering his man in front on the net. The puck went from the winger in the corner to the defenceman who scored.

On the third Ottawa goal he was in position covering his man in front of the net. The centre got his foot on the puck, then passed it back to the defenceman who scored. Yes, he lost that puck battle.

Oddly enough, the player who scored both those goals would have been his man if he was playing wing, and he likely would have been covering them as he usually did. Domi was the RW for both goals.

Yes, not great, but not bad for a first game - let's see how he's doing after 20.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad