GDT: Sens @ Leafs pre-season - 7PM EST

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I barely watched this game, couldn’t give a crap about preseason but here’s the thing: people always make excuses for this team. Oh it’s just preseason, oh it’s just November, oh it’s just a meaningless game in April after they have clinched. Guess what? It always ends the same way for 8 seasons. They are not magically gonna become something they are not. This team is what it is. Doesn’t matter who the coach is.
They certainly hope the coach makes a difference and can work with the limitations and get the most out of them. Rather than trying to play a run and gun style make them a defence first team that capitalizes on mistakes.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
It was the dying few minutes, odds are they just had shortened the bench. Nobody ever claimed Nylander playing center would mean he plays no wing at all. It’s almost surely in no way a reflection of what Berube thought of Nylander’s job at C

Anyone trying to draw any conclusions from one preseason game are getting way ahead of themselves
That would be a reasonable statement if we had not all watched this team/core play games like this countless times whether it is pre season mid season or playoffs. They have done this so many times that it is what the team is known for.
Maybe the better plan would have been to show up for the entire game and set the tone for the season.
What we watched last night is the same group of players do what they have done for 8 years……play hard only when they feel like it.
It is going to take some very hard love from Berube to change this group around, including some nights sitting in the stands for this core.
It will be a major battle and I hope Berube will survive and prevail or he will become just one more casualty of them

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
They scored a bushel of goals. And looked threatening. I’m hardly worried about 3 new D pairings allowing some leaking defense in the first preseason game.

I’m also a massive pessimist. But pacioretty looked very good - the core showed bursts (Marner vision, different PP ideas, etc) and Woll will be just fine.

Reactions: CincoHolio

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
The people who always freak out over preseason year after year give me a serious laugh.
People freak out during preseason: "it's only preseason"

People freak out during the season: "its only the season"

People freak out after we lose in the 1st round: "theres always next year"

Repeat/repeat/repeat/repeat/repeat/repeat/repeat/repeat (8 years of this now)

If you can't beat AHL teams/zamboni drivers you're probably not winning the cup.

The ownership has had full mandate to go scorched earth for a while and done very little. Yeah I guess "it's only one loss to an AHL team," but that loss is following nearly a decade of failure with the players losing as such.

The funny thing is if they made massive changes (i.e forcing Mitch/Tavares out), we could at least cope "oh it's a new group, they're still figuring it out," instead we are just left with the fact it's the same old losers losing.

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
If you can't beat AHL teams/zamboni drivers you're probably not winning the cup.

The saddest thing about stuff like this is that it all boils down to how acceptable it is to the organization. But when there are zero repercussions for anything, and everyone gets pay raises no matter what, why would anyone care about silly things like work ethic and honesty.

Reactions: NVious

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Pacioretty scored 2 goals and got an assist. More then any of our "star" players
Right on, let's trade that Mitchy guy for another 35 yr old who will play 25 games.
Let's get another slow guy who doesn't fit the mould of playing fast like the coach said he wanted. Let's give this 35 yr old the first pp unit time that Knies should get. Let's make him captain after 1 pre season game. He has experience in Montreal at that position.
Let's give him a 3 yr deal like Marlowe because he is good with the kids, gives them someone to look up to. "He prepares like a pro".
Looks like we have our MVP candidate, comeback player of the year and leading scorer all in one.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
As a retired hockey coach, I can tell you that every single game should matter, including exhibition and/or pre-season games.

As long as they have score keepers and refs, a real hockey player should always want to be on the winning side of the score. Our Leafs looked like they didn't even want to be playing. They played like they all wanted to be still on vacation.

Our Leafs played like they didn't care about winning. This should be unacceptable to everyone in the organization.

Winning in the pre-season sets the winning culture in motion. The Sens did this last night, and our Leafs settled for another loss. The Sens now have all the momentum going into our regular season series against our Leafs, especially if they beat our Leafs again on Tuesday.

With our Leafs having every single >$10M player in the lineup, they should have really spanked a Sens team full of no-names and rookies.

Our Leafs better not allow the Sens to dominate them again on Tuesday night. They have to take back the momentum and establish a better culture of winning.

JMHO.

Which NHL team did you coach? I am assuming preparing for the NHL is very different than what you coached.

Also, the Sens did this last year and then failed miserably, maybe they should try the opposite approach and focus on building systems and getting the best players into the lineup so they can win past September.

I'd rather they focus on the systems and give people a chance to try out for the team instead of trying to win.

Winning a pre-season game means nothing, they are preparing for the regular season right now, which means this is training.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
My point, I think we have some young guys who can be more productive, given playing time he is about to get.
I also see him as the equivalent of Spezza, who was a waste, and Dubas spy in the room.
I hope I am wrong, but I fear not

Personally i never liked that philosophy to be affraid to create battle to give easy spot to young player... NHL is a hard league and you have to earn your spot.

I don't know whats the goal to get the worst team just to let young player playing? Do that will make the team better because hes younger?!?!?!

let's the player fight for their spot and win it. Minten was not on radar last year but earn his right to get a look in the regular season but didn't work. It's how it should be and nothing else. Win your spot, that's it and if you had been outplayed by a 35 y/o winger, you don't deserve it.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Overall a typical preseason game, the PP scored a nice goal which was a positive

next game we will send our younger and weaker team, so hopefully they show a similar compete as the sens younger/weaker team did tonight

Robertson next game needs to be electric as hes looking to male a push as a consistent top 9 winger from game 1 this year

Reactions: Niagara Bill

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Overall a typical preseason game, the PP scored a nice goal which was a positive

next game we will send our younger and weaker team, so hopefully they show a similar compete as the sens younger/weaker team did tonight

Robertson next game needs to be electric as hes looking to male a push as a consistent top 9 winger from game 1 this year

exactly veteran playing likr at 70-80 % to find their rythm back and whatever vs young player who come it at 100% playing for their spot.

The same every year in every team and its not different in Toronto.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Personally i never liked that philosophy to be affraid to create battle to give easy spot to young player... NHL is a hard league and you have to earn your spot.

I don't know whats the goal to get the worst team just to let young player playing? Do that will make the team better because hes younger?!?!?!

let's the player fight for their spot and win it. Minten was not on radar last year but earn his right to get a look in the regular season but didn't work. It's how it should be and nothing else. Win your spot, that's it and if you had been outplayed by a 35 y/o winger, you don't deserve it.
Agreed, fight for your spot.
But let's put the 35 yr old, who has been injured for 2 yrs on first pp unit. Make it easy for him.
Who had the most affect in the game last night, Pac or Greb.
Yes, just one game, but I never saw value of Spezza, now the same with Pac.
Hope I am wrong

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
But let's put the 35 yr old, who has been injured for 2 yrs on first pp unit. Make it easy for him.
Hope I am wrong
Did you actually watch the game? I was a doubter on Patches... but he played well last night, extremely well.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
My thoughts.

Woll was decent, made some nice saves, a bit of rust.
Murray wasn't good.
Tanev and OEL look like guys who don't have any chemistry with their teammates, and aren't sure what to do. That will come in time.
Patches was very good. I was one of the bigger detractors, and if last night was representative in any way of his coming season, I can say I was wrong. No, I don't expect multiple point games every night, but the effort and execution was good.
Grebenkin was decent, but probably needs to show more to stick.
Cowan was a bit invisible, but it's his first game.
Reaves threw his body around, but wasn't useful otherwise.
Webber is big... but a major work in progress.

I wasn't satisfied with the lack of effort in the first two periods. I think that is the one area that needs the most improvement with this group. A solid effort on a consistent basis. We've seen this record too many times. Play with half effort, use the talent to come back, fall just a bit short. I would prefer a killer instinct from the beginning, and don't take the foot off the pedal.

I don't care about the result, there was a enough good to be satisfied with some of the play and players... we just need a more consistent effort, and pride in wanting to win. That will be the playoffs difference.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Hope I am wrong

Did he had been put in situation t9 prove what he could? yes
Did he deliver? yes so what's the problem

never saw the value of a guy able to put 30-40 pts playing on 4th line player?

Honestly for what i saw of Grebenkin, the only place rigjt now i can see him is as energy player on 4th line playing like 8-10m /Game and hobestly i don't think its the right thing for his development.
vs
pacioretty who are a player who can play up and down the line up and bring life on pp 2

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Did you actually watch the game? I was a doubter on Patches... but he played well last night, extremely well.

He was fine last night.

But he also looked like a passenger, I don't think he is going to be the Pacioretty of old.

I am not saying this in a negative way, he still has value as a player with a hard shot, good skill, offensively smart, and good hand eye, but I don't expect him to contribute much to generating the chances or retreiving pucks, and my expectations defensively are minimal.

Now, having said all that, this is still a good player to have, but I'd like to see more games of his, but no issue with extending a contract to him.

Just a little pre-mature, I think he will be putting up more 0 points games than 3 point games this year, the one game sample is small.

If he is doing 40-50pts on the 3rd line and PP2 time, I am happy.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Patches looked good. Kids not so much. Everything else pretty irrelevant. They just didn’t look good other there last night.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Right on, let's trade that Mitchy guy for another 35 yr old who will play 25 games.
Let's get another slow guy who doesn't fit the mould of playing fast like the coach said he wanted. Let's give this 35 yr old the first pp unit time that Knies should get. Let's make him captain after 1 pre season game. He has experience in Montreal at that position.
Let's give him a 3 yr deal like Marlowe because he is good with the kids, gives them someone to look up to. "He prepares like a pro".
Looks like we have our MVP candidate, comeback player of the year and leading scorer all in one.
Someone is a little extreme. If you're going to go on a rant, atleast get your spelling correct as it's Marleau and not Marlowe. Second thing, coach also said he wants to play a north south heavy game which Pacioretty plays. Nobody mentioned Marner at ai but it seems like everyone wants to gift these young players without having to earn it. Neither Pacioretty or Knies will be on the first pp unit so you're wrong there again but that seems pretty consistent with your whole post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad