Pre-Game Talk: Sens @ Leafs pre-season - 7PM EST

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Do you have a larger sample size?

I'd love to see a large sample of him being the QB for PP1 but I think that's all we have...

May as well not discuss OEL being on PP1 then I guess.

Your comment I responded to said he struggled on the powerplay. No distinction of top unit, and even then 5 powerplays is nothing. The fact the went 0 for them as well doesn’t really tell you anything in itself. Did they generate the chances and got stonewalled by the goalie? Did they miss the goal a lot? Did they shoot into shin pads? Did they struggle to gain entry and get their setup? How long were they actually up a man? Were their powerplays negated by a bad penalty? What was OEL doing that either contributed positively or negatively to their chances of scoring? Saying they went 0 for 5 doesn’t mean anything at all with none of the extra info.

Do you have a large sample size of his work on PP1?

Again the statement I replied to never stipulated top unit. It was a blanket statement that he specifically struggled on the powerplay in the playoffs which doesn’t appear to be supported statistically.

Not doing your work.

He was sheltered.

He played well in the regular season in top 4 and excelled as a #5 in the playoffs in a sheltered role.

I continually say he is a wild card and could be great for us.

You have it backwards. I’m not doing your work for you. You told me produce examples. I have no obligation or interest to comb through your posting history and find them. I told you the thread they are in if you wish to review, and to that end I leave the ball in your court. Do it or don’t, no concern to me.

Reactions: LeafSteel

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I don't agree with that. The biggest time waster on the Leafs PP were the Leafs themselves when they had the puck. Sluggish retrievals in their own end, aimless and unhurried transition up the ice like there's no game clock. Lack of game plan for distributing the puck, pace and work rate is not up to par.

ans why leafs always been in transition?

-Start the pp, lost faceoff already in def zone/ Win it losing it the next 5-10 sec after had losing a battle... come back in the zone.

- start an entry missed it and come back in the zone.

- 2nd entry attempt they reach Boston zone next 3 second someone losing a battle and the puck comw back in defensive end...

When they was able to keep the ouck in offensive zone, the 1st shot giving they was taking and the puck was lost... so come back again in defensive end.

it was the same story again and over again... They had a lot of time the puck in their own zone, in the offensive end... its an other story

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Bruce Boudreau made an off hand but insightful comment about OEL last week on TSN. He had him in Vancouver where he famously struggled... and he basically said OEL was used a lot on RD where he was beat to the outside more frequently, whereas on LD, he was able to utilize his active stick to defend the outside. For a rangy, positional, active stick guy in the classic Swedish style that makes a lot of sense.
Leafs have a hard time finding capable right side D, I though OEL was going to help with that, sound like Bruce would disagree……..

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Bruce Boudreau made an off hand but insightful comment about OEL last week on TSN. He had him in Vancouver where he famously struggled... and he basically said OEL was used a lot on RD where he was beat to the outside more frequently, whereas on LD, he was able to utilize his active stick to defend the outside. For a rangy, positional, active stick guy in the classic Swedish style that makes a lot of sense.

Interesting point. Couple that with major injuries and being forced to play top pairing for a bad team and yeah sounds like a good recipe for poor performance.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Regardless of having or not having a larger sample....that sample is literally useless lol

Okay, so OEL may be good or bad as a PP1 QB, for now, no one should discuss it because we have no recent data on it.

Your comment I responded to said he struggled on the powerplay. No distinction of top unit, and even then 5 powerplays is nothing. The fact the went 0 for them as well doesn’t really tell you anything in itself. Did they generate the chances and got stonewalled by the goalie? Did they miss the goal a lot? Did they shoot into shin pads? Did they struggle to gain entry and get their setup? How long were they actually up a man? Were their powerplays negated by a bad penalty? What was OEL doing that either contributed positively or negatively to their chances of scoring? Saying they went 0 for 5 doesn’t mean anything at all with none of the extra info.

We can use xGF%, fine with that, McCabe was the best across the two teams, without isolating for PP1/2.

xGF would be the best way to see how effective they were without scoring.

Try OEL at PP1, no issues with it, just people thinking he magically solves things, I don't agree with it.

He didn't magically solve Florida's struggles.

Again the statement I replied to never stipulated top unit. It was a blanket statement that he specifically struggled on the powerplay in the playoffs which doesn’t appear to be supported statistically.

Sorry, when discussing PP1, I figured it was obvious we'd be looking at how someone does as the PP1 QB.

You have it backwards. I’m not doing your work for you. You told me produce examples. I have no interest to comb through your posting history and find them. I told you the thread they are in if you wish to review, and to that end I leave the ball in your court. Do it or don’t, no concern to me.

You made a claim without proof, I am not backing up your claim.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Pacioretty lining up next to Tavares… Sure hope this new system makes up for their lack of foot speed.

Rooting for Pacioretty though, if he can bounce back and be healthy, he’d be a great addition for secondary scoring in our top 9 and a good role model for the younger players.

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
As the #1 option, he was 0-5 unless you can show me otherwise.

Agreed, I want to see a PP of 5F personally, but we shall see.

OEL? Show me where.

He was a #5 in sheltered minutes who has a lot of potential but should not be guaranteed as a top 4 option.

Not sure stating facts is talking down about him.

He did very well in a bottom pairing role.
I think he'll be in the 3LD role here too. In ATOI it will probably be something like this:

1 - Rielly - Tanev = 22:00
2 - Benoit - McCabe = 20:00
3 - OEL - Liljegren = 18:00

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
We can use xGF%, fine with that, McCabe was the best across the two teams, without isolating for PP1/2.

xGF would be the best way to see how effective they were without scoring.

Try OEL at PP1, no issues with it, just people thinking he magically solves things, I don't agree with it.

Well I already agreed on this part

You made a claim without proof, I am not backing up your claim.

There’s a whole thread of proof for anyone who cares to dig through it. Maybe your comments there weren’t intentionally negative towards the player, but I think it’s on you to understand how your comments and attitude on the subject will be perceived by those reading and not the readers.

We all fall into this trap on certain subjects so I am not criticizing you whatsoever to be clear. I’m also not at all claiming that you had no valid points. Sometimes it’s just the delivery

Last edited:

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

You have it backwards. I’m not doing your work for you. You told me produce examples. I have no obligation or interest to comb through your posting history and find them. I told you the thread they are in if you wish to review, and to that end I leave the ball in your court. Do it or don’t, no concern to me.
The answers you are asking require actually having watched the player in question and then forming an opinion.

That does not align to those who don’t watch the players they talk about, and glean their good/not good player opinions by looking at stats confirm their preconceived notions.

Actually watching the player is wasted, as their minds are made up.

Reactions: rumman and HolyCrap

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Pacioretty lining up next to Tavares… Sure hope this new system makes up for their lack of foot speed.

Rooting for Pacioretty though, if he can bounce back and be healthy, he’d be a great addition for secondary scoring in our top 9 and a good role model for the younger players.

I always thought Tavares might be more comfortable playing at a slower pace. If he and Patches can grind things down to their pace, live below the opposition hash marks, stick to the boards and avoid flying in open ice it might make them more effective than being anchors on a line that's trying to rev it up. Or it could be 2x Jason Allison's on table hockey rails. We shall see.

Reactions: TMLAM34 and rumman

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I always thought Tavares might be more comfortable playing at a slower pace. If he and Patches can grind things down to their pace, live below the opposition hash marks, stick to the boards and avoid flying in open ice it might make them more effective than being anchors on a line that's trying to rev it up. Or it could be 2x Jason Allison's on table hockey rails. We shall see.

Wait have the official lines been posted?
I saw the lineup but maybe I missed the lines

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
OEL should not be used as a RD from what I understand. If Hakanpaa is healthy we would have Tanev, Liljegren and Hakanpaa plus McCabe can play offside.
if they can stay healthy the only one I don't have faith in is Lilly, we'll see if he can play Berube style hockey from the get go or continues to fade when the going gets tough.........

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
They only have 6 pre-season games this year as well so they may want to jump ahead with less games to prepare. There might not be as many AHL guys used in pre-season this year.

I like when guys get a shot at pre-season to some degree but I always find it a little useless to play guys like Shaw and Clifford on AHL deals. I'm hoping we see less of that, but it's no big deal either way.

Leafs typically play more regulars at home versus on the road. The game on Tuesday will be young and ugly.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Allison was as slow as molasses, but he eked out a pretty good career for someone with little to no speed...........

Reactions: Insidefi

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
IMO, you should wait for the team to have a PP before complaining about the PP.

Reactions: Sypher04

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad