Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2024 #3

Who is the Sens 3rd best Prospect at the moment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
He's the same age as Kleven and Jarventie.

This coming season will be close to make or brake for him, if he dominates in the AHL and gets a callup, he'll go a long way towards proving himself, but we have very little pro experience to evaluate him on. There lots of potential there but not a lot of runway
As is Kleven.

A lot of the guys that are going to go in the 2-8 range are somewhat older players. Stephen Halliday is 22. Mads Sogaard is 23. Roby Jarventie and Leevi Merilainen will both be 22 in a few weeks. Max Guenette is 23. Many people are going to vote for Angus Crookshank around here, and he just barely slides under the 25 year-old age limit for the poll.

So not only is not an incredibly strong group, but it's also one of fairly advanced age. Only two of my personal top 10 are younger than 20 [Yakemchuk at #1 and Andonovski at #8].

Make or break time for many of these players.

Jarventie is in his 3rd season with the B Sens and he doesn’t look like he has much NHL upside . Kleven just played his first full season in the AHL and looks like he may have an NHL spot locked up.

I don’t think the comparison with Halliday is quite the same .

All I’m saying is we need to temper expectations for Halliday who on most boards would be their 10th best prospect but is only getting notoriety here because our prospect pool is so shallow.

Im excited to see how he develops this year however

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Jarventie is in his 3rd season with the B Sens and he doesn’t look like he has much NHL upside . Kleven just played his first full season in the AHL and looks like he may have an NHL spot locked up.

All I’m saying is we need to temper expectations for Halliday who on most boards would be their 10th best prospect but is only getting notoriety here because our prospect pool is so shallow.

He's a college player, who looked great in college before transitioning smoothly into the pro game. Kleven has one full pro season while Halliday has a dozen or so games to finish off that same season. People were excited about Kleven last year when he finished off the season in the same way they are excited about Halliday this year

The point is his age isn't problematic, his progression is where you'd like to see it for a guy with NHL potential.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010

He’s “getting notoriety” here because he was actually fantastic in Belleville, age aside.

Doesn’t mean that will translate to the NHL. But he’s a legit prospect. He has high-end IQ and vision, whether he has the skating and pace for the NHL remains to be seen.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Jarventie is in his 3rd season with the B Sens and he doesn’t look like he has much NHL upside
Jarventie's progress is pretty normal, especially for a bit of a project.

He came to NA and had to adjust to a different game. He was moved to C in year 2 and looked like a different player, but unfortunately was injured as his game picked up.

Last season he looked very good in the preseason, looked great in the A and decent in his call-up. He was looking like he would end up well over PPG in the A until another significant injury ended his season.

Overall, he is tracking to be a middle 6 player IMO with some good upside.

He may well be our most underrated prospect.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
As is Kleven.

A lot of the guys that are going to go in the 2-8 range are somewhat older players. Stephen Halliday is 22. Mads Sogaard is 23. Roby Jarventie and Leevi Merilainen will both be 22 in a few weeks. Max Guenette is 23. Many people are going to vote for Angus Crookshank around here, and he just barely slides under the 25 year-old age limit for the poll.

So not only is not an incredibly strong group, but it's also one of fairly advanced age. Only two of my personal top 10 are younger than 20 [Yakemchuk at #1 and Andonovski at #8].

Make or break time for many of these players.
Not all prospects can be Stutzle and Brady, it's not uncommon for good prospects to need a few years before sniffing the NHL.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He’s “getting notoriety” here because he was actually fantastic in Belleville, age aside.

Doesn’t mean that will translate to the NHL. But he’s a legit prospect. He has high-end IQ and vision, whether he has the skating and pace for the NHL remains to be seen.

Poor man’s Jason Spezza

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Ostapchuk looks like a safe bet to be a middle 6 player for the sens. Sad thats our third best piece but no fault of his own.
I don't see much second line potential for Ostapchuk. Third line ceiling and probably 4th line player.

Not all prospects can be Stutzle and Brady, it's not uncommon for good prospects to need a few years before sniffing the NHL.
The cupboard is almost bare due to Dorion trading away top draft picks.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I imagine there's probably two camps here. Those that saw Halliday play for Belleville and those who didn't.

It was certainly a small sample size so I understand people being a little skeptical, but what I saw from him was that he became the straw that stirred the drink for the B Sens. It all went through him. 50% of the goals during that 7 game run had him involved in scoring. He displayed vision, skill, and enough physical presence to do what he needed to do on the ice.

That's why I voted for him here. He might just end up being something.
Its good to hear positive things about Halliday. You are right. It's hard to get any AHL games here, and then to get one with Belleville playing is even rarer. So, other than pre season games and exhibition, there isn’t much opportunity to view our prospects for some.

FWIW, there should be some opportunities for a prospect to grab a spot on the 4th line now should a player impress staff in the training camp.

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I imagine there's probably two camps here. Those that saw Halliday play for Belleville and those who didn't.

It was certainly a small sample size so I understand people being a little skeptical, but what I saw from him was that he became the straw that stirred the drink for the B Sens. It all went through him. 50% of the goals during that 7 game run had him involved in scoring. He displayed vision, skill, and enough physical presence to do what he needed to do on the ice.

That's why I voted for him here. He might just end up being something.
What to me was eye opening is how quickly Bell recognized his impact and moved him up the line into critical roles. His talent was so obvious that he quickly made his way to the top PP.

I'm pretty high on Ostapchuk, but if not for the small sample Halliday could have made me really question who to select. They are very different players in terms of the type of role they'd fill at the next level, so it's a bit of a personal preference situation but both imo could be middle six guys in our lineup in the next two years if all goes well.

Halliday probably has the bigger bust potential, while Ostapchuk the lower ceiling but both could be great.

Reactions: DrEasy

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Jarventie is just a big tease. He's shown flashes of brilliance and then long stretches of mediocrity. I think he legitimately has an NHL shot but lacks intensity. I am just guessing but I get the feeling he's laid back and sees himself more as an artist on the ice rather than a warrior. At the NHL level, that's just not gonna cut it. I hope I'm wrong. I'd love to see him take a big step next season.

Reactions: aragorn

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
What to me was eye opening is how quickly Bell recognized his impact and moved him up the line into critical roles. His talent was so obvious that he quickly made his way to the top PP.

I'm pretty high on Ostapchuk, but if not for the small sample Halliday could have made me really question who to select. They are very different players in terms of the type of role they'd fill at the next level, so it's a bit of a personal preference situation but both imo could be middle six guys in our lineup in the next two years if all goes well.

Halliday probably has the bigger bust potential, while Ostapchuk the lower ceiling but both could be great.
Puckpedia has Ostapchuk LW and Halliday as center. Capwages has them both centers. I thought they were both centers.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Jarventie is in his 3rd season with the B Sens and he doesn’t look like he has much NHL upside.

He’s 21!!!
He looked good last year. Seems he’s figured way more out with respect to the compete side and the talent is there…
He’s so young, and he was/would have been a pt/game player in the A last year at 20/21

That’s pretty good I think…

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Puckpedia has Ostapchuk LW and Halliday as center. Capwages has them both centers. I thought they were both centers.
Yeah they are both centres. I think Ostapchuk might have played LW in junior at some point, but I think he said when he was drafted he preferred C and has been playing it since, so not sure why he’s listed as a LW. He also is much more likely to be a C at the NHL level if they both make it imo, I think Halliday would get moved to wing.

Reactions: Loach

Carl Karlsson

Jan 15, 2021
I'm going with Merilainen.
I actually really liked his development so far and I think he is out best goalie prospect ahead of Sogaard. I would not be surprised if he turns out the best player out of this prospect list other than maybe Yakemchuck who has very high skills and potential.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Halliday seems like the best pass first option, has a 3 to 1 assist to goal ration:sarcasm:
6' 4"... his draft year should have been 2020. Coming off a 38 point season (in 46 games) and +15.

Yet passed over!!! not even a token 5-6 round pick.

passed over in 2021, 48 points, 56 games... granted a sever dip in +/- to -4.

Then a seemingly mercy pick as a 20 year old. First year University as a 20 year old.. I was 19 and had an early birthday. Others were 18.

his career thus far has been strange.. up down +/- years like a yo-yo. Dates and age out of the ordinary!

Not what I would have expected. I will give him credit for perseverance.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Ostapchuk looks like a safe bet to be a middle 6 player for the sens. Sad thats our third best piece but no fault of his own.

What makes him a safe bet to put 40+ pts a season? I personally see his maximum upside as a 3rd liner

This ranking is already messed up. Ostapchuk should be 2nd

What makes Ostapchuk a better prospect than Kleven and Halliday?

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Jarventie is in his 3rd season with the B Sens and he doesn’t look like he has much NHL upside.

Why? Jarventie joined the AHL at 19 y/o which is something people completely ignore or dismiss

He scored 16 goals and 30 pts in 40 games at 20 y/o and was PPG at 21 y/o (although only 22 games). Unfortunately, injuries derailed him a bit so far as he missed a lot of time

This year we are only doing the top 3 prospects in the system.

lol sorry, I totally forgot about this

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Jarventie's progress is pretty normal, especially for a bit of a project.

He came to NA and had to adjust to a different game. He was moved to C in year 2 and looked like a different player, but unfortunately was injured as his game picked up.

Last season he looked very good in the preseason, looked great in the A and decent in his call-up. He was looking like he would end up well over PPG in the A until another significant injury ended his season.

Overall, he is tracking to be a middle 6 player IMO with some good upside.

He may well be our most underrated prospect.
Well, I have to say I am disappointed as I think Jarvy is getting ready to break out offensively, at least in the AHL.

Reactions: Xspyrit

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
What makes him a safe bet to put 40+ pts a season? I personally see his maximum upside as a 3rd liner

What makes Ostapchuk a better prospect than Kleven and Halliday?
Ostapchuk has the IQ to play with anyone, he has higher upside than Kleven IMO. I’m a big fan of Kleven but just higher on Ostapchuk. Halliday is intriguing but I need to see more before moving him into the top 5.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
Ostapchuk is almost a sure thing to have an NHL career. He has all the intangibles; leadership, toughness, defensive play, PK, size, strength, focus, effort, smarts. Should be a really good long time 4th line centre, with possible 3rd line upside. I doubt he ever hits 15 goals or 30 points, but that's not his game. You need some good pluggers to do the 4th line dirty work, PK, block shots, etc.

Has as narrow a difference between floor and ceiling as is possible. You pretty much know what he is and can be.

Ostapchuk is what they thought they had with Kastelic.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
My list:
1. Yakemchuk RD
2. Kleven LD
3. Ostapchuk C/LW
4. Halliday C
5. Sogaard G - potential decline
6. Guennette RD - potential decline
7. Petersson RW
8. Merilainen G