Prospect Info: Senators Prospect Talk 2014-2015 Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
The coaches even directly said at the beginning of the year that the rotation on d was the left side. Our d is enough of a ****show at the best of times, we don't need guys on their off side.
So Boro doesn't make Gryba expendable. Wideman is a rhd so he might eventually but Gryba has the job for the foreseeable future. He doesn't get enough credit

He makes Gryba expendable in the sense that he provides everything Gryba does, and more, and better.

LHD/RHD isn't important; You're looking for the best team. That's why guys like Lazar/Condra are playing their off positions sometimes at forward. Cuz there aren't better options, there's space made for them. Obviously it creates a favourable position for Gryba, but if someone is better than him at his position and other players can provide what he does...

I'm pretty sure Wideman or someone else will end up taking Gryba's spot in the near future. Gryba might even be traded this deadline, who knows.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The coaches even directly said at the beginning of the year that the rotation on d was the left side. Our d is enough of a ****show at the best of times, we don't need guys on their off side.
So Boro doesn't make Gryba expendable. Wideman is a rhd so he might eventually but Gryba has the job for the foreseeable future. He doesn't get enough credit

If someone did a word cloud of this site, elite would probably the biggest word. That and 'human garbage'

Well, Giordano and Brodie are both LHD, so clearly it can work having a guy play their off-side.

I also think that Boro and Gryba play the same role, it's just that Boro does it a bit better. So, Boro makes Gryba's only hold on his roster spot the fact that he plays the right side. Wideman is probably the best shot of taking Gryba's spot, but that leaves us with either Wideman or Karlsson playing the PK.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
The ability that DaCosta has, is that he is able to slow down the game through skill and hockey sense. He reminded me of Alfredsson in that regard. He knew when to keep the puck, he knew when to pass, he knew when to shoot. His visions was absolutely on the same level as Karlsson, Spezza and Alfredsson. Some of his passes and attempted passes were ridiculous that I have only seen the aforementioned players attempt.

The only concern was his size and strength. But I think he put those ideas to rest in his last call up. He was playing FANTASTIC! Significantly better than Hoffman, and probably one of the best players on our team through that stretch.

Despite that he gets sent down, no call up, has dominant World Championships, has KHL offering mega moolah, but can't get a one way ( doesn't Mark freaking Borowiecki have a one way?). I just hope bridges aren't burnt and he gets a fair shake at training camp next year.

Zibanejad
Da Costa
Turris
Pageau

It's very good depth, all 4 can go stretches where they will be legitimate top sixers.
Might add a Barzal or Marner. Bump Zibby to the wing. And you have a very very skilled top 9.

Lazar on the wing.

We need the type of skilled heady offensive player that DaCosta is.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Hey was never that good, I'm really not sure why people keep projecting him to be something that he never was, and will never be proven to be here.

It reminds me of those who keep talking about Filatov and what could have been.

He's not in the NHL playing an important role on our team, because he is not good enough, that is all. He is another Pageau, how many of these guys do we have to give one way contracts to? We don't need anymore little tweeners on the roster, at all. We have a bunch of much better prospects who have higher boom potential, and it is these players we need to be cultivating.

We're in the middle of purging the last round of one-way tweeners in Smith, Greening, and Condra, and some of you are actually lamenting doing it all over again?

Not to mention that he didn't want to stick around an earn a spot, so be it. We have other guys who are willing to put in the work.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He did have great vision though and we don't have anyone with vision down the middle

I doubt he'll be an effective NHL player due to his size but he definitely had his uses

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
The ability that DaCosta has, is that he is able to slow down the game through skill and hockey sense. He reminded me of Alfredsson in that regard. He knew when to keep the puck, he knew when to pass, he knew when to shoot. His visions was absolutely on the same level as Karlsson, Spezza and Alfredsson. Some of his passes and attempted passes were ridiculous that I have only seen the aforementioned players attempt.

The only concern was his size and strength. But I think he put those ideas to rest in his last call up. He was playing FANTASTIC! Significantly better than Hoffman, and probably one of the best players on our team through that stretch.

Despite that he gets sent down, no call up, has dominant World Championships, has KHL offering mega moolah, but can't get a one way ( doesn't Mark freaking Borowiecki have a one way?). I just hope bridges aren't burnt and he gets a fair shake at training camp next year.

Zibanejad
Da Costa
Turris
Pageau

It's very good depth, all 4 can go stretches where they will be legitimate top sixers.
Might add a Barzal or Marner. Bump Zibby to the wing. And you have a very very skilled top 9.

Lazar on the wing.

The KHL didnt offer him mega moolah. When he was initially signed he was making like 1.3 mil us. Not sure if he was getting paid in ruble but he might have been hurt by the decline of the russian economy. There is a likelihood he will get paid a ton this off season though. Saying that theres already a few pretty good KHL players that look like they want to test their luck in N.A.

As for DaCosta's abilty even his detractors haveto admit its weird sending a guy down after 4 points in 5 games. He showed far more then Hoffman in his brief stint and even looked better then Pageau although in a different role. Fact is he would have given us a good options and he wasnt given a fair opportunity to show his skills wouldnt translate. Theres no risk in giving DaCosta a one year 900k one way contract to prove himself. It would hardly be as burdening as greening.

Last edited:

WhiteLight*

Hey was never that good, I'm really not sure why people keep projecting him to be something that he never was, and will never be proven to be here.

It reminds me of those who keep talking about Filatov and what could have been.

He's not in the NHL playing an important role on our team, because he is not good enough, that is all. He is another Pageau, how many of these guys do we have to give one way contracts to? We don't need anymore little tweeners on the roster, at all. We have a bunch of much better prospects who have higher boom potential, and it is these players we need to be cultivating.

We're in the middle of purging the last round of one-way tweeners in Smith, Greening, and Condra, and some of you are actually lamenting doing it all over again?

Not to mention that he didn't want to stick around an earn a spot, so be it. We have other guys who are willing to put in the work.

He did earn a spot. The last 5 games he played for Ottawa, he was the best forward. Then they sent him down for no reason.

You don't think he's a top 6 forward? Fine ok. You think Ottawa has 13 better forwards than him? Nope that's ridiculous. He's obviously better than Greening and Smith, a blind chipmunk could see it.

Your Da Costa comparables are way off. Greening and Smith, wow

WhiteLight*

Zibanejad
Da Costa
Turris
Pageau

Lazar on the wing.

His skill was just not expendable. This team is craving it

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
His skill was just not expendable. This team is craving it

Especially after Spezza left and created a skill void which would have been filled in somewhat by SDC.

His last stint before the Olympics he was actually very good. Not elite by any stretch of imagination, but very good.

But I'm sure guys like NHL guys like Smith or Legwand and prospects like Derek Grant or Dzingel are much better than him.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
4 assists in 47 career NHL games for a guy supposedly with vision on the level of Karlsson, Alfredsson and Spezza. Jesus...

Hoffman had 3 goals in his first 30 games. Ryan Johansen had 12 assists in his first 67 games. Before you try to jump me, let me say that SDC is nowhere near RyJo's level, but dismissing a player based on his early stats is pretty ridiculous.

SDC has his faults, small, defensively questionable, weak on draws, but you if you couldn't see his offensive skill then not sure what I can tell you.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Hoffman had 3 goals in his first 30 games. Ryan Johansen had 12 assists in his first 67 games. Before you try to jump me, let me say that SDC is nowhere near RyJo's level, but dismissing a player based on his early stats is pretty ridiculous.

SDC has his faults, small, defensively questionable, weak on draws, but you if you couldn't see his offensive skill then not sure what I can tell you.

When someone says that a player had the same vision that Karlsson, Spezza and Alfredsson have, I'm sure the hell expecting more than 4 assists in 47 games. Regardless of sample size, that's an incredibly poor number for a guy who's supposed to have vision on the level of some of the most elite players this team has ever had.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I have no problem with Da Costa coming back, and hope that he does.

He has intriguing potential. He is an elite French-born hockey player. Using elite to describe anything else about him is a bit of a stretch at this point.

I also don't criticize the team for how they handled him. If he had stuck around he would have gotten more chances this year, and I imagine that's what they were telling him. He showed promise but didn't do enough to stick, yet. Hopefully everyone can come back from all of this.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
When someone says that a player had the same vision that Karlsson, Spezza and Alfredsson have, I'm sure the hell expecting more than 4 assists in 47 games. Regardless of sample size, that's an incredibly poor number for a guy who's supposed to have vision on the level of some of the most elite players this team has ever had.

It's what happens when when you give a play maker 4th line minutes with 4th line scrubs.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlp=8476205&lang=en

He got sent down a couple of days later. He was consistently making plays like this.

Last edited:

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa

Of course, I'm not saying he is complete elite player. But his vision IS on Spezza's level.

Watch these assists and goal from yesterday's game (only scoring plays here). SDC wears #77 and has Radulov on his line instead of Conacher and Condra.
0:45 - slapshot assist of a crossbar
2:02 - takeaway in the OZ and quick pass
3:41 - goal with a nifty fake
6:07 - pass to the open man on the slot from behind the net under pressure
6:36 - perfect cross-ice pass to the trailer

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Of course, I'm not saying he is complete elite player. But his vision IS on Spezza's level.

Watch these assists and goal from yesterday's game (only scoring plays here). SDC wears #77 and has Radulov on his line instead of Conacher and Condra.

Spezza had and I guess still has some of the best vision in the whole league and therefore the world. So your sayin Stephane da costa. This ahler who couldn't keep an NHL gig down, possesses some of the best vision on earth? It just doesn't make sense. Yeah his vision looks spectacular in the KHL. There's acres of space! And no contact! Heck spezza probably already has 200 assists over there.
This da costa stuff needs to end. He's a good little player. That's it.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Spezza had and I guess still has some of the best vision in the whole league and therefore the world. So your sayin Stephane da costa. This ahler who couldn't keep an NHL gig down, possesses some of the best vision on earth? It just doesn't make sense. Yeah his vision looks spectacular in the KHL. There's acres of space! And no contact! Heck spezza probably already has 200 assists over there.
This da costa stuff needs to end. He's a good little player. That's it.

That is funny considering Spezza was barely ppg in the Swiss A during the lock out. Also Kovalchuck a bonifade NHL superstar is only PPG in the KHL.

There other factors not relevant to vision that make Spezza an NHL star instead of Da Costa ( Size and strength would be a big one). Also Da Costa's vision has looked spectacular at every level he has played at, including the NHL.

All this just points to that fact that you don't just look at a players to production to make judgement on him.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
i like da costa a lot. if i was him, i'd wait until i got a deal from any team other than ottawa.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008

I would have looked like a superstar against that team. They must've put up 12 goals

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014

Final score was 12-0 which only makes SDC's skill level look higher. You can't equate what a player does in Russia to what he might do in the NHL. Apples and oranges.

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad