Low Effort GDT Senators in La Belle Province to beat up some scrubs | Tuesday October 1st, 2024, 7PM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I mean, it wasn't clean, it was interference, and retaliatory at that. He didn't catch him in the head, if that's what you mean,
It's definitely interference, so by definition breaking a rule so dirty I guess, but it wasn't a head shot. I think for me, as much as I don't like the hit, I get why the Habs player did it considering how badly the Habs have been getting injured and then Greig having an interference like hit on Dach. If anyone on our roster gives any hit that Greig did to the Habs young stars, it only makes sense that our stars will be targeted.

It was a retaliatory hit that isn't by the books clean, but I get why it happened considering previous events in the game.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's definitely interference, so by definition breaking a rule so dirty I guess, but it wasn't a head shot. I think for me, as much as I don't like the hit, I get why the Habs player did it considering how badly the Habs have been getting injured and then Greig having an interference like hit on Dach. If anyone on our roster gives any hit that Greig did to the Habs young stars, it only makes sense that our stars will be targeted.

It was a retaliatory hit that isn't by the books clean, but I get why it happened considering previous events in the game.
Interference from the blind side, that's dirty even if there isn't a head shot (though it looked like he might have tried for it). Greig's hit on Dach wasn't really any better, but the difference as far as I can tell is he timed it wrong rather than maliciously went after it. Maybe I'm wrong and he intentionally hit Dach late, either way it's understandable that Mtl was upset about it, but a) Dach was alright, b) they went after Greig all night, and c) Dach got his fight with Greig.

Throwing retaliatory dirty hits on star players is a bad look for the league, especially when it's a guy who'd just gotten fined a game earlier. I was surprised the league didn't give him a phone call after that, I guess he's luck he missed picking the head. You don't typically throw a hit on the far shoulder if you're trying to make clean contact, interference or not.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Interference from the blind side, that's dirty even if there isn't a head shot (though it looked like he might have tried for it). Greig's hit on Dach wasn't really any better, but the difference as far as I can tell is he timed it wrong rather than maliciously went after it. Maybe I'm wrong and he intentionally hit Dach late, either way it's understandable that Mtl was upset about it, but a) Dach was alright, b) they went after Greig all night, and c) Dach got his fight with Greig.

Throwing retaliatory dirty hits on star players is a bad look for the league, especially when it's a guy who'd just gotten fined a game earlier. I was surprised the league didn't give him a phone call after that, I guess he's luck he missed picking the head. You don't typically throw a hit on the far shoulder if you're trying to make clean contact, interference or not.
Just to be transparent, I want these retaliatory hits gone. I wish the league would do better when it came to this type of stuff, but don't expect it because plugs like Paros are in charge.

Late hits like Greigs will inevitably happen, and I hope the players have enough awareness to settle it themselves (like Greig and Dach did with fighting) without the retaliatory crap stops or we're going to get another Steve Moore incident.

I'm still thinking about how effed it was that Xhekaj felt emboldened enough to rabbit punch Pare and only got a fine.

Reactions: Micklebot

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Enforcement is overrated. There is no such thing as a deterrent.

Look at the Toilet Seat boys. Jackeye is a true heavyweight, and their last 2 opponents behaved like he doesn't exist. Pare ran at Laine, injuring him. Another guy hurt Rickenbacher. Greig went after Dach late. Nobody acts like they're scared of Jackeye at all.

Watch the Leafs. Teams take runs at them as much as any other team, nobody is scared of Reaves.

Yeah, we don't want Tkachuk fighting. Guys like Ostapchuk, MacEwan, Hamonic and Kleven can handle the fights when they are needed, which isn't very often.

I agree with you deterence isn't really a thing.

But what is a real thing, is intimidation and setting the physical pace, and dominating physically.

You want a team that is capable of throwing it's weight around, and making the opponents second guess themselves.

You see it after a player gets hit too often, they start to give the puck up right away. They start just rimming it instead of making a play. They start trying to actually be second on the puck to avoid a hit.

We need to have total team toughness where if some guy takes a run at our players, our team doesn't all of a sudden play scared. We return the favour and show we won't back down.

To do that usually though, you need a couple of big dudes leading the way.

It's a simplistic view, but go watch the movie goon where the French dude is playing scared...then when someone kicks ass for him, it gives him confidence that his team has his back, so he doesn't play scared. Laugh all you want about it being a movie, but listen to any podcast with ex NHLers and they'll tell you intimidation is real, and team toughness to get through that is a huge advantage.

People don't want some mcgrattan in the lineup. They just want more hard nosed hockey players that can play a regular shift (don't need to be a 20 goal scorer) but know their role is to hit hit hit and wear down the opponent on the forecheck...and if the other team is fed up? Duck it, let's go. Drop the gloves.

No one is asking for staged fights. They're asking for tough hockey players that don't Give a second thought about engaging physically or fighting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad