Low Effort GDT Senators in La Belle Province to beat up some scrubs | Tuesday October 1st, 2024, 7PM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
And full out lost Montreal the game in the process, but yes, he played his role I guess

Yeah he played himself into the AHL, no way he makes the team the guy turtles after a head shot. Marty St Louis doesn’t want that in his lineup, he didn’t play that way and neither did his teams and that’s why he was a Champion

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I'm worried about 3 things this season : team toughness, team speed, overall depth

I don't blame new management, recovering from DJ Dorion hockey/management isn't supposed to be easy

We really need to stay healthy. Crossing fingers, will sacrifice lambs this season

You're right but that's only for the game in question. Being opportunistic (like scoring 4 PP goals) or great goaltending can change things but over the long run, you end up losing though.

This is the reason why every NHL team spend a lot of money on advanced stats every season. No team can become a contender by being outshot, outchanced and outplayed in the majority of games

Those are my 3 concerns for making the playoffs as well.

Depending on what the end goal is, if it's to win a cup, I would say my worry is also the lack of star players. And I'm not sure how to get more. We won't have high draft picks...have to give up a first... we're going to have to hope to find an Alfredsson/Datsyuk/Zetterberg or something to be a true contender. (Someone who comes out of nowhere to be a top 30 player in the league)

Reactions: Xspyrit

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024

Depending on what the end goal is, if it's to win a cup, I would say my worry is also the lack of star players. And I'm not sure how to get more. We won't have high draft picks...have to give up a first... we're going to have to hope to find an Alfredsson/Datsyuk/Zetterberg or something to be a true contender. (Someone who comes out of nowhere to be a top 30 player in the league)

Can Stützle become a consistent 90-100pt guy?

Can Sanderson take another step and become a top 10 D who’s in the Norris conversation?

Can Yakemchuk become close to as good as Evan Bouchard, as fast?

If those 3 things happen, we’ll be in a good spot. If not, we won’t be.

Reactions: albator71

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Havlat was 26th. Hossa was 12th. Karlsson was 15th.

It's a challenge but it's possible.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Can Stützle become a consistent 90-100pt guy?

Can Sanderson take another step and become a top 10 D who’s in the Norris conversation?

Can Yakemchuk become close to as good as Evan Bouchard, as fast?

If those 3 things happen, we’ll be in a good spot. If not, we won’t be.
I hope Yakemchuk can become better than Bouchard. Bouchard is awful defensively, he's a give away machine that is put in a very good position to succeed. Being around McDrai, it's hard to measure if he can perform as a #1 D and make everyone around him better.

Really hoping Yakemchuk can be 'that guy' even without Stu, Tkachuk, etc., on the ice

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I hope Yakemchuk can become better than Bouchard. Bouchard is awful defensively, he's a give away machine that is put in a very good position to succeed. Being around McDrai, it's hard to measure if he can perform as a #1 D and make everyone around him better.

Really hoping Yakemchuk can be 'that guy' even without Stu, Tkachuk, etc., on the ice

I watched a lot of the Oilers last playoff and Bouchard is a pretty outstanding weapon all on his own. I was as surprised as anyone.

He soundly outplayed Quinn Hughes head-to-head, the reigning Norris winner.

I was in Hawaii for 3 weeks so I watched a ton of Western Conference playoff hockey in the afternoons. It was glorious!

Reactions: aragorn and DrEasy

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024

Bouchard is awful defensively in the same way that Karlsson used to be "awful" defensively.

When your offensive abilities so far outweigh your defensive shortcomings (and I think they're overstated for both the players I mentioned above), it really doesn't matter. The guy just put up 32 points in 25 playoff games!

Reactions: albator71

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

If we're going with realistic odds, we have no shot at the Cup this year. We haven't made the playoffs in 7 years and will have to learn how to lose in the playoffs like everyone else (Tampa, Edmonton, Colorado and even Florida did)

I like our potential regarding star power at G + D but F is a question mark

G : Ullmark (if he extends) + Sogaard/Merilainen/???

D : Sanderson + Chabot + Yakemchuk

F : Stutzle + Tkachuk + Batherson

So the problem might be at F going forward. Giroux and Perron are too old now and will only be stop gaps. Norris could be in that group but due to his shoulder injuries, it's unpredictable at this point. I love Pinto and Greig but I think they are luxury support players and not stars. Guys like Halliday and Ostapchuk are nice but they are support at best too.

So I agree, in the next few years we'll need to find another star forward and at least another Top-6 guy to replace Giroux

Another brief analysis that shows how inept Dorion's management was. We should be stacked at all positions with still a good prospect pool considering the time we rebuilt and the wealth we started with.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If we're going with realistic odds, we have no shot at the Cup this year. We haven't made the playoffs in 7 years and will have to learn how to lose in the playoffs like everyone else (Tampa, Edmonton, Colorado and even Florida did)

I'm liking our potential reagarding star power

G : Ullmark (if he extends) + Sogaard/Merilainen/???

D : Sanderson + Chabot + Yakemchuk

F : Stutzle + Tkachuk + Batherson

So the problem might be at F going forward. Giroux and Perron are too old now and will only be stop gaps. Norris could be in that group but due to his shoulder injuries, it's unpredictable at this point. I love Pinto and Greig but I think they are luxury support players and not stars. Guys like Halliday and Ostapchuk are nice but they are support at best too.

So I agree, in the next few years we'll need to find another star forward and at least another Top-6 guy to replace Giroux

To be fair, it's easier to attract older veterans or former stars when you're in a position to contend.

Getting Giroux to sign here was a fluke because of where he's from, but it won't be as difficult if the team is making the playoffs routinely and looks ready to take another step.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
To be fair, it's easier to attract older veterans or former stars when you're in a position to contend.

Getting Giroux to sign here was a fluke because of where he's from, but it won't be as difficult if the team is making the playoffs routinely and looks ready to take another step.

Could somebody find a list of good players from the Ottawa area? Let's say 27 y/o and older

It'd be nice to luck out into another Giroux situation. There's also Quebec players who could be interested in being closer to home.

I think we might be able to attract good support players if we become a good playoff team but star players in their prime? Hard to say, we didn't attract many during our 11 years playoffs streak

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Bouchard is awful defensively in the same way that Karlsson used to be "awful" defensively.

When your offensive abilities so far outweigh your defensive shortcomings (and I think they're overstated for both the players I mentioned above), it really doesn't matter. The guy just put up 32 points in 25 playoff games!
Karlsson could create offence out of thin air the way (obviously not to the same extent) McDrai do.

Karlsson could win battles along the boards, skate like the wind, and move the puck as he willed. Bouchard uses his vision and passing to create offense and he's very good at that, but based on his current production, he's a product of McDrai. Bouchard hasn't shown that he's a Makar or Hughes.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Karlsson could win battles along the boards, skate like the wind, and move the puck as he willed. Bouchard uses his vision and passing to create offense and he's very good at that, but based on his current production, he's a product of McDrai. Bouchard hasn't shown that he's a Makar or Hughes.

I don't know, I was pretty amazed at Bouchard's puck handling and ability to walk the line. He's an effortless skater and the slap shot he possesses is a cannon.

I think some people might be sleeping a bit on Bouchard -because- of Draisaitl and McDavid.

He might have been Edmonton's best player in the series against Vancouver, and that's with McDavid and Draisaitl on the team.

Some applied motivation by the HC might help but it appears he just does not want to do it. Time to jettison him and get someone else who understands and embraces the role.

That's why you need a hungry kid who is eager to prove himself.

They can fly off the handle (exhibit A: Arber Xhekaj) and their overall game may have warts, but you don't have to worry about the energy they bring to the ice.

MacEwan looks like he's playing to not get noticed.

Reactions: aragorn and DrEasy

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Could somebody find a list of good players from the Ottawa area? Let's say 27 y/o and older

It'd be nice to luck out into another Giroux situation. There's also Quebec players who could be interested in being closer to home.

I think we might be able to attract good support players if we become a good playoff team but star players in their prime? Hard to say, we didn't attract many during our 11 years playoffs streak
Lol the list of active players from Ottawa is a bit meh:
-Ceci
-Gudbranson
-Pitlick
-Pageau
-Weegar

Weegar is the only one there that would have much value for us, aside from Pageau on a cheaper contract.

Hendrix Lapierre is from Gatineau, maybe we can get a hold of him when Washington finally decides to rebuild?

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Winning in the NHL isn't just about having superstars; take the Florida Panthers, for example, who don't rely on big names alone. Success comes from having depth and versatility, being ready to adapt to any style of play. And that's exactly why I'm excited about the potential of what the Senators are creating.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Yeah he played himself into the AHL, no way he makes the team the guy turtles after a head shot. Marty St Louis doesn’t want that in his lineup, he didn’t play that way and neither did his teams and that’s why he was a Champion
I doubt it. Montreal is soft as shit - like Ottawa- but has no Tkachuk, they need a guy like that.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think Ullmark is going to be the key to the season. Not a shocking statement, I know, but this team is going to have to navigate some tough times and him not always letting the game away like the 2 guys last year is hopefully enough to let the team find its footing.

Last nights game seemed that way to me, they weren't particularly great, but he didn't let it get out of hand, and they ended up coming back, even if it was in part gifted from Xhekaj's dirty work. Last year, that game would have gotten to 3,4 or 5 to 0 before they showed any gumption, and by then any comeback would fall short.

Reactions: NyQuil

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Some applied motivation by the HC might help but it appears he just does not want to do it. Time to jettison him and get someone else who understands and embraces the role.
He's been around long enough... he is what he is and it should not take prodding at this point imo

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

If Xhekaj's hit is considered predatory, we have to call out Greig's hit as predatory. They're both against players that were in vulnerable positions, but neither were headshots, they were just solid shoulder checks.

I'd prefer if players don't do these types of hits at all, they're dangerous, but we have to reign in our own guys unless we want meatheads like Xhekaj doing shit like this. And I sure as hope we aren't as dirty in our retaliation the way Xhekaj rabbit punches players.

Fantastic, the angle which hides what he was doing with his elbow and cuts out before you see the follow through which obviously shows he was lifting it to make contact with Stu's face. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Bileur

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I doubt it. Montreal is soft as shit - like Ottawa- but has no Tkachuk, they need a guy like that.

Classic Montreal is just have one tough guy who always has to answer and have all the pressure to be that guy alone when they really aren’t that guy to begin with, you see the last two games Wifi can’t handle that roll and he’s totally reaching for it. His brain seems scrambled to me, he doesn’t know what he is as a player and being a tough guy that turtles isn’t going to cut it in the NHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad