Low Effort GDT Senators in La Belle Province to beat up some scrubs | Tuesday October 1st, 2024, 7PM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
i mean he was responding for the greig hit.

he did his job.

A body on body 2 minute interference call?

It's a weak excuse for him to be a dipshit, especially coming after Greig already took a late hit for it.

Is he going to justify shit like that the next time somebody snow showers the goalie?

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Hate to admit the Wifi hit on Stu was clean and not a headshot. Because of his dirty history, I'm fine with any of our players just going after him.

I don't want any of the better players going after him at all. That's a brutal exchange.

Just go after Caulfield with a clean hit and then point to Xhekaj on the bench. That's how you respond. Hell, you'll probably get a 5min powerplay out of it too.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
However, based on a track record of dirty hits (or near dirty hits) in the AHL and now the NHL, he's going to have to control it or the Habs will start dropping points when it actually matters and management won't be as understanding.
I'm not implying that you're saying this - just piggybacking this comment to make my point. The issue is that these types of plays are rewarded. If he didn't do this stuff he'd never sniff the NHL, and that's the problem.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I like Gregor's speed but overall .. I'd prefer Parker Kelly in that 4th line winger role. Kelly has a little more nasty in him,

I know I am probably in a very small group.
I find Jenik has been a lot like Kelly. Gregor's speed is useful, but I am starting to wonder if he might end up the 13th forward and we keep up both Ostapchuk and Jenik?

Reactions: gab6511

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
A body on body 2 minute interference call?

It's a weak excuse for him to be a dipshit, especially coming after Greig already took a late hit for it.

Is he going to justify shit like that the next time somebody snow showers the goalie?

he basically tried to make the exact same hit that greig made. sure his was a little dirtier.

but he was sending a message, that you hit our star with borderline hit, we will hit yours.

he did his job.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm not implying that you're saying this - just piggybacking this comment to make my point. The issue is that these types of plays are rewarded. If he didn't do this stuff he'd never sniff the NHL, and that's the problem.

Neil only made the NHL because of his fists.

Once he made it, he was determined enough to stay there and make a living as an actual NHL player.

Reactions: BigRig4

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I don't want any of the better players going after him at all. That's a brutal exchange.

Just go after Caulfield with a clean hit and then point to Xhekaj on the bench. That's how you respond. Hell, you'll probably get a 5min powerplay out of it too.
That's my preferred response too.

Although of course, if the refs would stop being so shite we could avoid this whole situation lmao

Reactions: h2

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I find Jenik has been a lot like Kelly. Gregor's speed is useful, but I am starting to wonder if he might end up the 13th forward and we keep up both Ostapchuk and Jenik?
I think that's not a bad observation. Does Jenik PK? not sure PK was pretty good on the PK.

Ostapchuk is a tough call on his development... really not sure .. I probably send him back. He can always be called up; I am a fan of his.

MacEwen looks out of place .. he's 13th at best .

Reactions: Cosmix

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I really don't know how MacEwen has a NHL roster spot.
In a game like this, when there is a late hit, then there’s retaliation. Often, that comes in the form of a goon going after one of your teams smaller skill guys (like Jackass did to Stutzle).

The problem with that is that draws Tkachuk into the melee. If Tkachuk is ejected (or gets a lot of penalty minutes) along with the opponents goon, that’s a win for the opposition. That’s a trade off that the other team will gladly take, not to mention the risk of players getting injured. This situation is a slippery slope with potential risk & bad outcomes.

We really don’t have a capable pugilist on our team that can take a regular shift without being a liability.

Reactions: Blotto71 and h2

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

If Xhekaj's hit is considered predatory, we have to call out Greig's hit as predatory. They're both against players that were in vulnerable positions, but neither were headshots, they were just solid shoulder checks.

I'd prefer if players don't do these types of hits at all, they're dangerous, but we have to reign in our own guys unless we want meatheads like Xhekaj doing shit like this. And I sure as hope we aren't as dirty in our retaliation the way Xhekaj rabbit punches players.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Turned the game around by himself. Scored the go-ahead goal. Fought Dach in the end just to prove he isn't afraid of him.

What a player!
I love his compete level .. and focus.. He doesn't take a second off. Predictable and reliable.
Definitely a valuable utility player that can play anywhere in any situation.

Reactions: Emrasie and NyQuil

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I just don't see a true role for Gregor. He's speedy and has decent skill but not enough to really warrant a top 9 role, but also doesn't really play a physical/checking game that would warrant a 4th line role. He probably has a roster spot locked up just based on the fact management signed him to a 1-way just a few months ago, but I don't think it'll be on merit.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think that's not a bad observation. Does Jenik PK? not sure PK was pretty good on the PK.

Ostapchuk is a tough call on his development... really not sure .. I probably send him back. He can always be called up; I am a fan of his.

I'm not sure if Jenik is a good Pk'er, but I do think Ostapchuk could fill that role. So far we haven't used Jenik on the PK in preseason, so I doubt that would be a role he'd fill in the reg season.

For the PK,

Norris, Pinto, Ostapchuk, Stutzle, Giroux, Perron, Gregor, and Greig seem like candidate. Maybe Amadio too

I don't mind Gregor, I just prefer Ostapchuk and Jenik, but you make a good point about what's best for Ostapchuk's development. He's also the only one who is waiver exempt.

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
In a game like this, when there is a late hit, then there’s retaliation. Often, that comes in the form of a goon going after one of your teams smaller skill guys (like Jackass did to Stutzle).

The problem with that is that draws Tkachuk into the melee. If Tkachuk is ejected (or gets a lot of penalty minutes) along with the opponents goon, that’s a win for the opposition. That’s a trade off that the other team will gladly take, not to mention the risk of players getting injured. This situation is a slippery slope with potential risk & bad outcomes.

We really don’t have a capable pugilist on our team that can take a regular shift without being a liability.
To be clear, a regular shift for a guy in that spot sees him getting 5 - 8min per game...

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

There aren’t that many guys in the league who can.

We can laugh about 4th liners and dilution of talent with expansion but realistically the quality if hockey expected from 4th liners is much more than it used to be.

The writing was on the wall when it became clear that Brian McGrattan was too slow to be an effective deterrent.

I'm not sure if Jenik is a good Pk'er, but I do think Ostapchuk could fill that role. So far we haven't used Jenik on the PK in preseason, so I doubt that would be a role he'd fill in the reg season.

Ostapchuk has had his ups and downs in pre-season but one aspect that has been consistent is his ability to generate turnovers up the ice in the offensive and neutral zones, which is extremely useful for PKing.

There are times where his anticipation and puck thievery reminds me of Mark Stone to a lesser extent.

Reactions: Micklebot

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

MacEwen is not doing what he needs to do to stay in the NHL.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He does not embrace that role. He goes down to the A and flashes some skill there but he gets by there on rep. To me he looks like he just doesn't have enough desire
Some applied motivation by the HC might help but it appears he just does not want to do it. Time to jettison him and get someone else who understands and embraces the role.

Reactions: StutzlingAway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad