TSN: Senators Broadcast Change

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Jon Abbott, who frequently called games for the Sens on TSN, has been named the new play by play voice for the Flames on Sportsnet.

Wonder who we'll get this season to replace him
Gord Miller back full time would be a dream but very doubtful.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Jon Abbott, who frequently called games for the Sens on TSN, has been named the new play by play voice for the Flames on Sportsnet.

Wonder who we'll get this season to replace him
Well that sucks, he's good at his job. Maybe this is AJ's chance. By god if its Dean Brown ill lose my shit. When is Andlauer going to make changes to him and Gord its time to go. Especially Gord, nice guy but if someone is doing colour they should actually understand the sport on a deeper level than that. We have great options of former players who are very smart from a hockey broadcast side. Marc Methot, Jamie Baker, Brendan Bell etc would all be way better options.

Jack Michaels (who is absolutely incredible) was on Spitting Chicklets and they asked him how did he stay engaged when the Oilers were so bad. His answer was a great one. (this is not verbatim) 'I focused on the other good players on the other teams, so not to come down on the current group of Oilers but illustrate to the listeners as to why Edmonton was losing and what was so incredible about the oppositions. It helped me understand the league and the other players much better by focusing on the opposition and what they do or dont do well.' Imagine Gord and Dean took that approach, they dont even know the players on the other teams. They only talk about former sens or like former leafs on the other teams. Or just random crap when the game is going on. Its no professional and adds nothing to the broadcast.

Last edited:

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
I think it is still a bit early for it, but I wonder if TSN decides to push Kenzie Lalonde in? I suspect her and Pounder will be doing NHL games within the next few years, although I figured Pounder would get a spot first. We are likely where they will start them when they do bring them in.

Unlikely, but possible.

Reactions: NB613

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Might be an unpopular opinion, but I wasn't a big fan of Abbott. I don't hate him, just found him meh. Of course, the grass isn't always greener. We'll see who replaces him.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Lost a good one, but he should have called more games in Ottawa so this is the right thing. Still think he has a great voice for baseball and could do well in summer too

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think it is still a bit early for it, but I wonder if TSN decides to push Kenzie Lalonde in? I suspect her and Pounder will be doing NHL games within the next few years, although I figured Pounder would get a spot first. We are likely where they will start them when they do bring them in.

Unlikely, but possible.
The best should get the job when it's the best in the world regardless of gender or race. Kenzie is not remotely close to being the best. I think it's good to have a woman play by play for the PWHL however not at the NHL level there are way better options. Pounder on colour would be fine though she's strong.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The best should get the job when it's the best in the world regardless of gender or race. Kenzie is not remotely close to being the best. I think it's good to have a woman play by play for the PWHL however not at the NHL level there are way better options. Pounder on colour would be fine though she's strong.
oh-no-you-didn-t-sheneneh-jenkins-martin-lawrence-yi690tt7p0t5b3vo.gif

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
I don't disagree, but I think back to when TSN brought Pounder in to be an analyst for us. She might be good now, but she wasn't back then. They tossed her into the position and let her grow on the job. I wouldn't put it past them from doing that again with play by play.

Although, to be clear, I don't think it is likely, just possible.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I don't disagree, but I think back to when TSN brought Pounder in to be an analyst for us. She might be good now, but she wasn't back then. They tossed her into the position and let her grow on the job. I wouldn't put it past them from doing that again with play by play.

Although, to be clear, I don't think it is likely, just possible.
I hope not this is the big leagues. She needs to start in the minors and work her way up like every other non ex NHLer has had to do.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I wonder if the sports networks are ever going to consider looking at the online streaming world for new play by play guys.

Yes, a lot of them aren't appropriate for television broadcasts but there are esports casters that do a much better job speaking about action on screen than some of the play by play goobers we have calling games.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I hope not this is the big leagues. She needs to start in the minors and work her way up like every other non ex NHLer has had to do.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. But if you are do you think she is better at calling a game than A.J Jakubek?

Oct 10, 2010
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. But if you are do you think she is better at calling a game than A.J Jakubek?
I don't watch women's hockey so i can't say for sure, but AJ at least in my opinion is underwleming mind you it's all subjective.

Here's hoping they bring in someone for play-by-play who isn't local because the options are bleak here.

Maybe Bryan Mudryk returns.

Oct 10, 2010

Unlikely, but possible.
In the day and age of DEI anything is possible with people getting jobs only to meet a quota and not necessarily because they are the best available.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Maybe they plop in Ian Mendes and he does double duty for the Sens.....of course, this could have been very true with the old ownership EM lol.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Well I'm not a fan of A.J. calling games. Too many pauses, his excited yells seem a little much for the kind of broadcast he is doing, and when there is a lull in play his voice would put a mans man to sleep. There is a reason he has made the big jump. Not matter what the field, the best option should always win out.

Now that Ian is in the organization I'm sure he will find jobs for the likes of Brent Wallace, Glenn Kulka, and Lee Versage.

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Well that sucks, he's good at his job. Maybe this is AJ's chance. By god if its Dean Brown ill lose my shit. When is Andlauer going to make changes to him and Gord its time to go. Especially Gord, nice guy but if someone is doing colour they should actually understand the sport on a deeper level than that. We have great options of former players who are very smart from a hockey broadcast side. Marc Methot, Jamie Baker, Brendan Bell etc would all be way better options.

Jack Michaels (who is absolutely incredible) was on Spitting Chicklets and they asked him how did he stay engaged when the Oilers were so bad. His answer was a great one. (this is not verbatim) 'I focused on the other good players on the other teams, so not to come down on the current group of Oilers but illustrate to the listeners as to why Edmonton was losing and what was so incredible about the oppositions. It helped me understand the league and the other players much better by focusing on the opposition and what they do or dont do well.' Imagine Gord and Dean took that approach, they dont even know the players on the other teams. They only talk about former sens or like former leafs on the other teams. Or just random crap when the game is going on. Its no professional and adds nothing to the broadcast.

Both Dean and Gord work for (Bell Media) TSN 1200…. not for Andlauer.

Can’t think of any “Braodcast Team” works directly for the team they cover…. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Why would fans want a Broadcast team, radio or TV be employees of the Team (Owner)?

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
This is my sentiment as well. His arrogance and boring anecdotes are too much.

Some fresh blood and a more nuanced analysis of the game would be ideal.
Add intelligence and quiet confidence to the requirements (to replace bombastic and . . .)

Reactions: Dionysus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad