Post-Game Talk: Senators 6, Penguins 4 - IT'S OVAH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The problem isn’t Murray, DeSmith is getting lit up just the same. Right now with how this team is playing ether of them would have to have a break dancing goalie clinic in net to win a game. Whom ever is in net is literally on an island onto themself. No goalie would succeed in our blue paint as of this moment.

De Smith is not getting lit up the same or really at all except last night. Look at their game logs, it’s the complete opposite.

Casey DeSmith 2018-19 Game Log | Hockey-Reference.com

Matt Murray 2018-19 Game Log | Hockey-Reference.com

Reactions: Peat

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Something else that needs to be noted as well:

Murray falls way below the line, but even look at DeSmith. He's really not much above average at all, I feel like some people view him as this magic bullet to fix the team's goaltending problems. DeSmith is playing well this year so far, but he really hasn't been that good. His ES save% is right in line with a group of like 20 goalies (18 goalies are between a .927 and .934 ES save%, DeSmith is at .931). He should definitely be playing more because Murray has been awful this year, but I feel like DeSmith hasn't been as good as his .930 save% suggests. And on the same point, I don't think Murray has been as bad as his .877 save% suggests, either.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
sure we can. It's just dumb to ***** about the good moves that led to those Cups. Plenty has happened since then that is worth *****ing about.

Yes, I agree we probably don't win without Bonino but we also never saw Sutter in Sullys system. We also know Bonino wasn't a long term plan. Sutter could have helped us win and been the long term 3C. Never wasted a 1st on Brass which that trade is looking like a complete flop.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Yes, I agree we probably don't win without Bonino but we also never saw Sutter in Sullys system. We also know Bonino wasn't a long term plan. Sutter could have helped us win and been the long term 3C. Never wasted a 1st on Brass which that trade is looking like a complete flop.
Sutter could never have "helped us win". He's a bad player with poor hockey IQ and playmaking who makes his teammates worse. Seriously this fascination with Sutter bewilders me. I feel like people remember the handful of goals from the right side on the rush and ignore the endless lost battles and getting caved in the defensive end.

Sutter played like every shift was a penalty kill. Sullivan's system turned great players back into great players. It didn't turn shit into gold.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
So we'd be in last place in the whole league instead of just the east?

They are only two wins ahead of dead last in the league though.

Anyway. I'd rather have a pending UFA 34 year old Lovejoy right now than multi year garbage heap Johnson at $500k more.

I do agree that waxing nostalgic for Sutter is silly.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They are only two wins ahead of dead last in the league though.

Anyway. I'd rather have a pending UFA 34 year old Lovejoy right now than multi year garbage heap Johnson at $500k more.

I do agree that waxing nostalgic for Sutter is silly.

I'd rather have Lovejoy over every single defenseman on this roster not named Dumoulin or Letang. I'm not sure that's saying much :laugh:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Murray falls way below the line, but even look at DeSmith. He's really not much above average at all, I feel like some people view him as this magic bullet to fix the team's goaltending problems. DeSmith is playing well this year so far, but he really hasn't been that good. His ES save% is right in line with a group of like 20 goalies (18 goalies are between a .927 and .934 ES save%, DeSmith is at .931). He should definitely be playing more because Murray has been awful this year, but I feel like DeSmith hasn't been as good as his .930 save% suggests. And on the same point, I don't think Murray has been as bad as his .877 save% suggests, either.

CDS is atleast in with good average guys on other teams. If were gonna look at EvenStrength. Might as well look at their play on the PK as well:

229aacbd00f0825bf335f237ee4f9757.png

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
CDS is atleast in with good average guys on other teams. If were gonna look at EvenStrength. Might as well look at their play on the PK as well:

229aacbd00f0825bf335f237ee4f9757.png

Yeah, DeSmith has an asininely good PK save% right now, which is inflating his overall save%. I'm not saying DeSmith hasn't been good on the year, I just don't think DeSmith has done as well as some people would say here. He hasn't been as good as his stats suggest, or rather, his current run isn't sustainable due to his SH save%. He's probably only performing at around a .915-.920 level right now, which is obviously good, but I think people probably have thought he was doing better.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I 100% agree with this.

The problem is that the gulf between those two numbers is so big that even with that, there's still a pretty notable difference in what you're getting.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I 100% agree with this.

The problem is that the gulf between those two numbers is so big that even with that, there's still a pretty notable difference in what you're getting.

I'd probably say Murray has performed like a .895-.900 goalie and DeSmith has performed like a .915-.920 save% goalie on the year, which is a lot closer than what their actual stats say. It's still a wide margin, but it's closer. For comparison, Fleury has the same ES save% as Murray, but he has a .901 save% due to having really good PP and PK save%. Murray's PP and PK save percentages are at 78% or lower.

Reactions: Peat

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Trading Sutter for Bonino and signing Fehr was one of my favourite moments of being a fan of this team because it was then specifically that I thought this organization finally knew what it was doing.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Trading Sutter for Bonino and signing Fehr was one of my favourite moments of being a fan of this team because it was then specifically that I thought this organization finally knew what it was doing.

Until you fast forward 4 years.. Traded a 1st for a bust and got a combination of Grant, Sheahan, and 42 year old Cullen centering lines.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I really have no idea how anyone can complain about not having Sutter anymore. You already have a vanilla center that offers nothing in Grant, it's not like Sutter is any sort of significant upgrade on that. It's not like Sutter was even good here in the first place an he hasn't been good since leaving here, it's just an odd take.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I really have no idea how anyone can complain about not having Sutter anymore. You already have a vanilla center that offers nothing in Grant, it's not like Sutter is any sort of significant upgrade on that. It's not like Sutter was even good here in the first place an he hasn't been good since leaving here, it's just an odd take.

He was putting up 30 points in MJ boring hockey. Is it unreasonable to think he could put up 40-50 points in Sully system? He was a great penalty killer too. I'm just saying he would have been a reliable 3C over the years. We didn't have to waste a 1st and all these wbs scrubs.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
so bitch that we didn't keep Bonino, because he's better than Sutter.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I'd rather have Lovejoy over every single defenseman on this roster not named Dumoulin or Letang. I'm not sure that's saying much :laugh:
Lovejoy would be just as bad as those defencemen though.

I won't pretend I wouldn't trade Johnson for him in a heartbeat because of the contract but Lovejoy isn't good folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan