Post-Game Talk: Senators 6, Penguins 4 - IT'S OVAH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
The wonders of a world where the forwards are most to blame for our GA and our dmen are most to blame for our GF :laugh:

Although I mainly posted to say Oleksiak's name should be on that list (maybe more than the others). The only things he adds is individual scoring and the occasional fight. I get that's like complaining that the statue is worthless other than being made of gold, but that's what Oleksiak is due to his lack of toolkit. He's getting paid like he's a gold statue when he's only worth the base price of the metal itself.

Incidentally, I'm proud of just how awful that analogy is.

Hey, I said SOME of the defensive liability. It can't be the defenses fault that the forwards have no idea what zone to cover and their subsequent pointmen are taking shots on the Pens goalies.

They all look dumb as hell, honestly. 2mil is a lot for Olek...but...

Ruh has pretty extensive pro experience by this point and is making peanuts but wow, check out goal #6. And you'll see why.

It's just, even if there were 'better' defensemen on the team, it will only help so much. Schultz getting back will be very helpful--but there is no timetable for that, it may not even be this season. How do you flip our losers for non-losers?

Reactions: Peat

Penguinfan66

Sep 9, 2008
There's a good chance he trades a 1st this year and a bad chance of it not having lottery protection.
Yep but if he does it it will probably be at the deadline. Hopefully....if the chances are out the window by then he won't. It's still early and not exactly time to talk about top 5 picks(even if they're 30th 1st overall might not happen)

Reactions: Peat

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Olli Maata should have been dealt years ago while he had at least a little value. There is absolutely nothing good about him. He's slow, he's soft, and has little offensive ability.

Matt Murray is a huge problem. No idea what to do with him, but he's literally playing like a beer league goalie.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
This isn't a lottery pick team. Oh, they have looked like it of late, but they aren't this bad and will win way too much to pick top five. That doesn't mean that they make the playoffs. Just that there is too much talent to end up the year that bad.

Reactions: SirBrad

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The ultimate in shake up moves.

That said, the longer the skid goes on, the less likely that its just a funk appears and the more likely that there's something intrinsically broken. I don't know when I'd subscribe to the latter but its gone on long enough that I'm considering it.

Although I'm also going to seriously lose my temper at the next person to carp at Schultz's 5.5m. The evidence for him being a giant difference maker for this team only continues to grow. I just hope that its not reflected in his boxcars when he gets back so we can keep his next contract relatively cheap. And we have to improve the defence's puck moving somehow.

Depends how many different players you bring in - sooner or later enough different players results in a different team identity right? :naughty:

Which just goes to show that sometimes good judges make bad decisions.

I’ve always said Schultz’s contract is fair. My issue is Maatta, Oleksiak, and Johnson all making coin without being able to step up.

That once again is on Rutherford.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
This isn't a lottery pick team. Oh, they have looked like it of late, but they aren't this bad and will win way too much to pick top five. That doesn't mean that they make the playoffs. Just that there is too much talent to end up the year that bad.

We can finish in the 20s and get a high pick with the way the lottery is this year.

Look at what it did for teams like Winnipeg, Philly and Jersey. It would have a Sharks like effect on our core if we could bring in our Couture.

Reactions: EightyOne

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Did Brassard even play? I remember when he used to rip the Pens in pieaces, playing in Ottawa. Saw that player in the pre season, But lost at sea now

They showed a stat last night that we average about 4 goals a game with Brassard and about 2 goals a game when he’s injured.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Personel wise the biggest issue are the D and Matt Murray.
Slight good news on that front is Riiko, Schultz, CDS and Jarry may be able to help there.

Other than that sans trades, get a new youngster to try out other than ZAR over and over again plz.

Reactions: Andy99

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
:laugh:

DsPxuVTU8AA_cm5

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
Oleksiak's contract is fair to be real. He is not making that much. Johnson's contract is terrible. Maatta's deal also considering at the time of contract he was playing as a top 4. But realistically to me Derrick Brassard was not the right player to have on this team. At the time we needed a younger center with speed. Like an Athanasiou type would have been ideal. He is good at faceoffs and would develop well behind Crosby & Malkin. There is not to develop in Brassard. Not to say he plays bad, but just not the right mix.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Personel wise the biggest issue are the D and Matt Murray.
Slight good news on that front is Riiko, Schultz, CDS and Jarry may be able to help there.

Other than that sans trades, get a new youngster to try out other than ZAR over and over again plz.

This org fascination with ZAR and Maatta is bewildering as hell.

Unfortunately ZAR scored a lucky and meaningless goal so he will be around longer.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I think the knock on AJ has been his strength, not heavy enough for his build...too slight. Which seems stupid when Guentzel weighs about as much as a wet fart.

I am confused as to why Blueger hasn't been up for the 4C job even for 2-3 games, as well as Johnson, Lafferty, Prow, Angello, and DiPauli.
He was (on the bench though)

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
On Olli, the bet he'd get a little faster/stronger was no doubt there. Was simply a losing bet.
The JJ bet was a terrible one but not the end of the world if he settles into #6-7 territory while improving #4 thru 5-6.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The wonders of a world where the forwards are most to blame for our GA and our dmen are most to blame for our GF :laugh:

This is true...I see the forwards want to play a quick strike, transition game still and cheat for offense that way, but we don’t have the D capable of doing that....just look at Maatta last night, not to harp on him but it’s not footspeed, it’s quick decision making...there was one simple play where he’s holding on to the puck a second too long to decide which forward to get it to and in the meantime the OTT player is closing in on that forward, making transition to the O zone impossible once Maatta makes the pass...

This is very typical, and not just of Maatta...a lot of overthinking, lack of confidence of where to go with the puck, scared to a mistake, stupidity? It’s hard to know but we are not making the quick passes out of the zone needed to get the puck thru the NZ quickly to generate offense....

We have to stop either 1) trying to play so aggressively to generate offense, which is Suly’s entire system, or 2) simplify our breakouts, change them, so that players know where to go without thinking....it’s why I think maybe another coach can help...it’s not all on Sully but they have to change how they’re doing business

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Well if they’re going to miss the POs then they really need to just stink bad and get a lottery pick...no use being average bad...they have to tank...

Reactions: EightyOne

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
Oh yeah, another minus I need to throw out. Dominik Simon was really good last night, yet he was dead last in TOI for the game. He only had like 9 minutes at ES.
Sully's bench management at its finest. He's so bad at recognizing what works and what doesn't work out there, or just too stubborn to reward something that is working, but wasn't in his "plans".

Reactions: KIRK

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Judging by how he sat on his hands with Bylsma as his coach here, he’s clueless...
I'm not convinced he was allowed to fire Bylsma. So, maybe he did know better. And if he could have and didn't, then maybe he learned from his mistakes.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Olli Maata should have been dealt years ago while he had at least a little value. There is absolutely nothing good about him. He's slow, he's soft, and has little offensive ability.

Matt Murray is a huge problem. No idea what to do with him, but he's literally playing like a beer league goalie.
The problem isn’t Murray, DeSmith is getting lit up just the same. Right now with how this team is playing ether of them would have to have a break dancing goalie clinic in net to win a game. Whom ever is in net is literally on an island onto themself. No goalie would succeed in our blue paint as of this moment.

Reactions: DegenX

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
At least this has proved what I initially thought. Pearson with Crosby and Guentzel back with Malkin.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'm not convinced he was allowed to fire Bylsma. So, maybe he did know better. And if he could have and didn't, then maybe he learned from his mistakes.

Also fear the same thing about JR and Sully...Mario likes Sully because he made adjustments during the Cup runs and so now he’s got near lifetime tenure here....?

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Also fear the same thing about JR and Sully...Mario likes Sully because he made adjustments during the Cup runs and so now he’s got near lifetime tenure here....?
I have no idea what's going on now. I don't think that HCMS is as appealing to yinzer nation as Bylsma was. Part of the reason Bylsma kept his job is because he was likable. Sully may have a pair of rings, but he comes off as a smug asshole most of the time. That's fine when the team is winning, but when they're losing that just makes it worse. Folks from all over the w3 are calling for HCMS to be fired, not just here. Seems not just the team has had enough of his shit.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad