Speculation: Sen’s talking to the Jets

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Ottawa is only looking for RHD.

out of ones potentially available, could only see us interested in DeMelo.
Are you sure about that? Chabot is struggling a bit to be a dominant #1. They brought JBD up to try and steady him. Sanderson with Hamonic haven't been bad. The bad is probably Brannstrom and Zaitsev, and Zaitsev could be sent to the minors soon. Heinola with Nick Holden, until Zub comes back, at least gives the semblance of a defense, 3 pairings strong, and Heinola could QB PP2 on the Sens no problem.

Deno

Nov 9, 2022
While I think the Jets will trade a D eventually, I doubt it happens anytime soon. If the team keeps playing like it is now, they have no need to trade and D yet. The soonest it will happen would be at the trade deadline this season if the Jets are still in the PO hunt. Better to keep all of their D now just encase they end up with injury issues at D later this season.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Are you sure about that? Chabot is struggling a bit to be a dominant #1. They brought JBD up to try and steady him. Sanderson with Hamonic haven't been bad. The bad is probably Brannstrom and Zaitsev, and Zaitsev could be sent to the minors soon. Heinola with Nick Holden, until Zub comes back, at least gives the semblance of a defense, 3 pairings strong, and Heinola could QB PP2 on the Sens no problem.

Why would the Sens want to acquire Heinola to downgrade their PP2 QB?

Sanderson has a higher PPG in the NHL than Heinola does in the AHL this season.

Reactions: NB613

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I don't know enough about Pionk or Schmidt. As a Sens fan, I'm more interested in a stabilizer. Someone who can play some steady minutes, play sound defensively, and can make a simple pass.

Pionk I know has an offensive-side to him. Does he offer that sound defensive play as well? If so, I'd offer a nice amount for him. If he's a liability defensively though I'm not interested.

Schmidt is 31 years old and will be a UFA when he is 33. I wouldn't offer any of the pieces above for Schmidt. If he is aging well and still playing a solid well-rounded game, I'd offer some secondary pieces for Schmidt but none of our marquee pieces.

Demelo is a beauty who has 2 years left on his contract. I wouldn't offer Batherson for him but a discussion can be had for DeBrincat or Greig but there would have to be an add on top of Melo.

An add on? Jesus, Demelo better be the add on in a deal for DeBrincat.

Pionk would be a great addition. I could see DJ liking Logan Stanley though.

Last edited:
Reactions: dumbdick

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Dorion flew out to Winnipeg to watch a Habs- Jets game.

He was in Montreal the other day. He also had his assistant GM and pro scout if I remember correctly.

Tsn 1200 talks about it a lot.

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
Yes

Agreed makes zero sense.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

That's nice but the other defenseman on that PP Erik Brannstrom has 0 PP points this year, and 2 points in total, and that's probably where you want to upgrade?

Reactions: hn777

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Something around Debrincat for Pionk could work for the Jets.

Still have

Morrissey - Demelo
Dillon - Schmidt
Samberg - Heinola
Stanley - Capo

Value wise that's a loss for Ottawa though but position scarcity on top 4 RH RD it could probably be doable with a small plus from WPG

• Haha
Reactions: robsenz and NB613

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
That's nice but the other defenseman on that PP Erik Brannstrom has 0 PP points this year, and 2 points in total, and that's probably where you want to upgrade?

If you watched the Sens you’d know DJ prefers using only 1 defenseman on each PP unit. Brannstrom just got added to the second unit a few games ago.

No interest in giving up assets for Heinola.

Reactions: NB613 and bert

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Something around Debrincat for Pionk could work for the Jets.

Still have

Morrissey - Demelo
Dillon - Schmidt
Samberg - Heinola
Stanley - Capo

Value wise that's a loss for Ottawa though but position scarcity on top 4 RH RD it could probably be doable with a small plus from WPG

Lolwut

This post doesn’t make any sense.

Pionk ain’t worth near DeBrincat.
Also, Ottawa just paid a hefty price to trade for him. Why would they have done that if they didn’t want him as part of their core.
Your offer is as likely to happen as Tim Chevaldae reaching the HHOF

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Lolwut

This post doesn’t make any sense.

Pionk ain’t worth near DeBrincat.
Also, Ottawa just paid a hefty price to trade for him. Why would they have done that if they didn’t want him as part of their core.
Your offer is as likely to happen as Tim Chevaldae reaching the HHOF
Maybe he was confused as Neal Pionk has as many points in one less game as the Sens leading scoring defenseman, and 2 more than their highest paid defenseman. I mean Neal Pionk is clearly the Jets #2 d-man, and has no chance whatsoever of being moved, but if you are going to aim high...

The Sens aren't scouting the Jets for a regular roster player in all likelihood, since the Jets are winning with said roster players, it's Heinola, since his agent started the process of getting moved, maybe they were offered Harkins in a trade, as I could see him asking for one after being demoted in camp, and his standing falls to #13 at best or top centre on the Moose once Ehlers comes back, but considering he just passed waivers, seems unlikely he's going to attract any kind of offer.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Brannstrom and Heinola same thing. Brannstrom hasnt even been bad. Makes no sense for Ottawa.

You are right thought Chabot has been the biggest problem.

Heinola for Thomson?
No thats terrible for Ottawa they need the RD. Why would they want Heinola? Another small LD?

If you watched the Sens you’d know DJ prefers using only 1 defenseman on each PP unit. Brannstrom just got added to the second unit a few games ago.

No interest in giving up assets for Heinola.
He clearly hasnt watched Ottawa.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Our RHD depth is very thin after losing Kovacevic. Basically our only right-shots are Pionk and DeMelo, both untouchable at this point since we look good and there is no sense in offloading assets we can’t afford to lose. If any D-men get moved out, it’s Stanley and/or Heinola, both left shots. Ottawa and Winnipeg aren’t great trade partners right now.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Brannstrom and Heinola same thing. Brannstrom hasnt even been bad. Makes no sense for Ottawa.

No thats terrible for Ottawa they need the RD. Why would they want Heinola? Another small LD?

He clearly hasnt watched Ottawa.

Agree.

Even if DJ asked Dorion to acquire Heinola (which he wouldn’t, just not his type) the answer would be “we already have Heinola at home”.

Reactions: Altimus

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Our RHD depth is very thin after losing Kovacevic. Basically our only right-shots are Pionk and DeMelo, both untouchable at this point since we look good and there is no sense in offloading assets we can’t afford to lose. If any D-men get moved out, it’s Stanley and/or Heinola, both left shots. Ottawa and Winnipeg aren’t great trade partners right now.
May be true, but this thread is based upon the rumour of trade discussions between the two teams.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
I don't know enough about Pionk or Schmidt. As a Sens fan, I'm more interested in a stabilizer. Someone who can play some steady minutes, play sound defensively, and can make a simple pass.

Pionk I know has an offensive-side to him. Does he offer that sound defensive play as well? If so, I'd offer a nice amount for him. If he's a liability defensively though I'm not interested.

Schmidt is 31 years old and will be a UFA when he is 33. I wouldn't offer any of the pieces above for Schmidt. If he is aging well and still playing a solid well-rounded game, I'd offer some secondary pieces for Schmidt but none of our marquee pieces.

Demelo is a beauty who has 2 years left on his contract. I wouldn't offer Batherson for him but a discussion can be had for DeBrincat or Greig but there would have to be an add on top of Melo.
You can listen to Leafs fans complain how mean Pionk is to them as a plus.

Reactions: Pinto Bean

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

If either Brannstrom or Holden can play RD, since all your defensemen are good, by your account, and both can, why do you need a RD, when Zub comes back, you have your RD, JBD maybe stays up and Zaitsev gets sent to wherever, Belleville, Arizona?

What's the deal with Gambrell, not injured, not playing? A Gambrell for Harkins trade, while insignificant, would probably help both teams.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
If either Brannstrom or Holden can play RD, since all your defensemen are good, by your account, and both can, why do you need a RD, when Zub comes back, you have your RD, JBD maybe stays up and Zaitsev gets sent to wherever, Belleville, Arizona?

What's the deal with Gambrell, not injured, not playing? A Gambrell for Harkins trade, while insignificant, would probably help both teams.

JBD has been showing well, hopefully he keeps it up. Holden is 35 and looks to be slowing down. Ideally he’d be a 7. Zaitsev is terrible and should have to pay for tickets to get into another NHL rink. Hamonic is ok, but again he’s over slot. Ideally he’d be bottom pair.

The Sens need a top 4 RD.

Gambrell is a fine depth forward. Reliable defensively, good wheels. I think they were expecting Kastelic to need one more year of development but he showed up at camp at 6’3 230 and came second in fitness, then followed that up with a good preseason (physical, drops the gloves to protect teammates, PK value, ridiculously high FO %) and essentially blew the doors off.

Reactions: NB613 and Altimus

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

What a stupid post. Never said that. The sens just have no use for another undersized d man.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
If Chabot is lost for a significant time, there’s no replacing him.

One obstacle they were just talking about between periods on the HNIC broadcast was about so many dmen having most of the Canadian teams on their No Movement lists. Making it harder for the Sens as they’ve been looking for awhile now. Obviously before the Chabot injury. Which would lead us to believe they may have had a deal for someone and the player wouldn’t accept.

Ottawa is a great city to play in. It’s sad so many players over the years wont go play there. If you played high at high levels growing up, you likely played in the Bell Cup, etc, every year. North American players should have great memories of the city. Obviously a lot of this likely had something to do with how bad they’ve been but that shouldn’t be the case now.

They have plenty of assets they could move too.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
What a stupid post. Never said that. The sens just have no use for another undersized d man.
Ok well I am going to tone this down since I am not looking to flame the Sens fanbase. But this thread is premised on Ottawa scouting the Jets for a player. The Sens are not currently a playoff team, last in their division, while the Jets are in 1st in theirs. So I highly doubt that any roster player that is contributing to the Jets success in on the table, that's pretty simple to conclude.

So who on the Jets would the Sens be scouting? It's not Stanley because he's injured and he's probably not available anyways.

Heinola is the most obvious conclusion. Could he add offense to the Sens defense. Surely he could. He transitioned to the right side in preseason, so that's a potential holder for a RD position. Obviously if the Jets are looking to trade him they want a quality player back, and to me Greig is the only player the Sens have who fits the mold, especially since the Jets management have probably scouted him extensively while with Brandon. Is that a good trade for both teams, I'll leave that up to respective managements.

The other player who may be avaialbe from Winnipeg is Jansen Harkins. He was demoted to the Moose where he tore up the league to start. He's been called up but Jets probably would like to showcase him for a trade, as when Ehlers comes back, he's not going to be a starting player in our lineup, maybe be demoted back to the Moose. If you say the Sens like having 4 forwards on their PP, I think Harkins is a guy who could play that role, and he probably would have more scoring potential in the bottom of the Sens lineup then a guy like Parker Kelly. I can see the Jets being interested in Gambrell lacking RH shots, and a RHC to back up Scheifele since they don't seem to have a lot of confidence in Kevin Stenlund to be NHL material. Besides Gambrell was part of a successful Team Canada team last summer that featured Dubois and Lowry, which might get him an endorsement.

Lastly from the Jets if you are looking for a RD, the only one that would be available is Leon Gawanke conceivably. He's not going to crack the Jets after 3 seasons in the minors. He's kind of defensive liability, but if you are looking for a PP catalyst, that's his role. Booming shot, good wheels. Cheap acquisition, probably sending another RD back.

Otherwise I don't think there's a player on the Jets available. And I don't think the Sens go to Winnipeg to scout a player they aren't looking for immediate help from.

Hope that dissipates any animosity.

Last edited:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Yes they are only looking for D to play on the right side. Chabot hasn't been great but Sanderson has and is only going to get better. That kid is a star, and will overtake Chabot by the end of the season.

So if the Sens bring in another left D, one of those two guys gets bumped down and they still have the same issue they have now. Zub is coming back soon, he will help stabilize Chabot or Sanderson, and a new RHD will stabilize the other pair. That is the need. An RHD in the top 4. A legit top 4 player. What they don't need is a minor upgrade on Hamonic, or another quality defenseman to eat up salary on the third pair.

The third pair will be fine with some mix of Hamonic, Holden, Branstrom and JBD.

Its a right D they need. A left D makes no sense at all. None.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad