Value of: Semyon Varlamov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Agree regarding Casey but as for Martin...

Unless Marty Marts play falls off a cliff, he's nearly outperformed the entirety of his deal already. Don't be surprised to see him on the protected list for the expansion draft.
I hadn't considered protecting Martin,but thinking on it,he would be a good pick up .....good on ice and locker room leader.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Isles have $3.8m in cap space + Boychuk's $6m freed up from LTIR.
The biggest questions are whether Ladd and his $5.5m caphit end up on LTIR and who Seattle takes in the expansion draft. It would help if they took one of the $5m caphits.

Both ufas Cizikas and Palms want to return. I wonder who is a higher priority for the isles.

I'm 100% confident both Lou and Trotz would prefer to bring Cizikas back over Palms. He is the "identity" after all. Not to mention Palms was pretty underwhelming(not bad, just not great), will make more than Cizikas, and can be replaced in theory by Wahlstrom. Who replaces Cizikas? Koivula? That's trial by fire considering that line's responsibilities.

I would like Casey back,but I am leery about the Isles giving him to much term. I was not happy with the 4 yrs Martin got .

I think if more term keeps the cap-hit down I'm all for it. 4 years isn't ideal but $1.5M for Martin is about as good as it gets IMO. If 4 years for Cizikas keeps his hit at or under $3M then I think you do it.

Varlamov is Sorokin’s best friend as well. Let him stay for at least one more year, help him ease into the league

I'd argue that he's been eased into the league at this point, and I'd hope he has made new friends. Plus part of me is hoping that we can trade Varly(for a good return of course) and bring in Lundqvist to be the new backup, just so I can rock a Henrik-Isles sweater in front of my Rag-fan friends.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I hadn't considered protecting Martin,but thinking on it,he would be a good pick up .....good on ice and locker room leader.

If you do that you'll probably have to leave Bailey unprotected, and he will 100% get snatched up. That would sting for sure. IMO I take my chances that Seattle won't take the 4th line player and will use this as an opportunity to add top-6F/top-4D/top prospects.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I'm 100% confident both Lou and Trotz would prefer to bring Cizikas back over Palms. He is the "identity" after all. Not to mention Palms was pretty underwhelming(not bad, just not great), will make more than Cizikas, and can be replaced in theory by Wahlstrom. Who replaces Cizikas? Koivula? That's trial by fire considering that line's responsibilities.

I think if more term keeps the cap-hit down I'm all for it. 4 years isn't ideal but $1.5M for Martin is about as good as it gets IMO. If 4 years for Cizikas keeps his hit at or under $3M then I think you do it.

I'd argue that he's been eased into the league at this point, and I'd hope he has made new friends. Plus part of me is hoping that we can trade Varly(for a good return of course) and bring in Lundqvist to be the new backup, just so I can rock a Henrik-Isles sweater in front of my Rag-fan friends.

Palms and Casey are saying they like it with the team and want to return.
Beat writers have been saying for a few seasons what it's a tight locker room they have.

I don't want to see the isles handing out long term deals to bottom six players, close to 30 or on the wrong side of 30.

I do agree with you on moving Varly.
It sounds like Sorokin has adjusted well and unfortunately, the cap crunched isles may not be able to afford having 2 goalies eating up a combined $9m-$10m.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
If you do that you'll probably have to leave Bailey unprotected, and he will 100% get snatched up. That would sting for sure. IMO I take my chances that Seattle won't take the 4th line player and will use this as an opportunity to add top-6F/top-4D/top prospects.
I wish Ebs didn't have that poison pill in his contract for next season: $5.5m caphit, $7m salary. He is the one I want Seattle to take.

David Lunch

Apr 11, 2018
Hey Isles fans, Kings fan here. I wanted to ask A) if you think Varlamov will be resigned or not, and B) where is he at at this stage of his career? With the Kings' cap situation I think he could be a short term target for us as a UFA. Do you think he could be had at a 1-2 year deal around 2/2.5AAV?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Hey Isles fans, Kings fan here. I wanted to ask A) if you think Varlamov will be resigned or not, and B) where is he at at this stage of his career? With the Kings' cap situation I think he could be a short term target for us as a UFA. Do you think he could be had at a 1-2 year deal around 2/2.5AAV?
He’s closer a 1B or true backup than a 1A and his days as a bonafide starter appear to be behind him.

By all accounts, he likes living on Long Island and is tight with Sorokin. If he’s willing to sign what you suggested, I think it’s likely he’d return to NYI since that would be very affordable for what he brings.

If you wanted to pry him away and all the way to the West Coast, you’re likely looking closer to 3/4 years and 10-12M in total dollars, but I’m not even sure if he’d have interest.

Reactions: David Lunch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad