Value of: Semyon Varlamov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bharzal Bhabie

Dec 27, 2017
Anything to work around Kuznetsov and Varly to bring him back to Washington?
I for one would be very interested in this. Think kuz would flourish once again under Barry. Hickey would also have to be going the other way in order to make this work among other pieces of course.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Anything to work around Kuznetsov and Varly to bring him back to Washington?

I am guessing Kuznetsov has more value then Varly BUT if the offer was put on the table I would take it in a heartbeat despite the fact Kuznetsov's contract is a huge problem for Islanders cap situation because I would just turn around and trade Kuznetsov

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
Isles wont move him. Would have to be a big overpay. Lou values goaltending very highly. Even tried to acquire Varly before signing Lehner. He wont be moved

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
What would the teams who need a good starting goalie give up for Semyon Varlamov?

Fortunately NYI has a second fully capable goalie, so trading Varlamov may be an area where they can offload cap.
I think the likely partner is a team way below the Cap if they can get him for very little, if the Isles won't take significant salary back.
Someone like Arizona, Buffalo, or Detroit if they can only send a 3rd or 4th round pick. Maybe a 2nd. Varlamov's days of bringing back a 1st like the Capitals did for him are long over. We've seen this before.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’d take him back in Colorado. Would prefer Grubauer but he’s likely going to command north of 6M and likely more term. Varly for 2 years is the perfect amount of commitment.

Take back Compher/Donskoi and I’d pay a 1st although I realize that kinda defeats the purpose of trading Varly.

Last edited:

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
I’d take him back in Colorado. Would prefer Grubauer but he’s likely going to command north of 6M and likely more term. Varly for 2 years is the perfect amount of commitment.

Take back Compher/Donskoi and I’d pay a 1st although I realize that kinda defeats the purpose of trading Varly.
Does Colorado have a young goalie for their future? Or do they plan on rotating through veteran stop gaps?

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014

The cap hit for both Compher and Donskoi is too substantial for the return. If the Islanders were to get desperate and move him, it would have to be to move the salary as a whole with prospects and picks coming back instead of a small decrease in salary.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Does Colorado have a young goalie for their future? Or do they plan on rotating through veteran stop gaps?
Goalie of the future is subjective because you usually don’t know you have a goalie for the future until they prove they’re already capable of being that and if that were the case they wouldn’t be in the market for a goalie lol.

Annunen is one of the better goaltending prospects out there but goaltending prospects are never a sure bet.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Well if it defeats the purpose of trading Varly,why would the nyi do this?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Isles have $3.8m in cap space + Boychuk's $6m freed up from LTIR.
The biggest questions are whether Ladd and his $5.5m caphit end up on LTIR and who Seattle takes in the expansion draft. It would help if they took one of the $5m caphits.

Both ufas Cizikas and Palms want to return. I wonder who is a higher priority for the isles.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Isles have $3.8m in cap space + Boychuk's $6m freed up from LTIR.
The biggest questions are whether Ladd and his $5.5m caphit end up on LTIR and who Seattle takes in the expansion draft. It would help if they took one of the $5m caphits.

Both ufas Cizikas and Palms want to return. I wonder who is a higher priority for the isles.
My guess is Cizikas based on his tenure and position. Palmieri is a higher profile UFA though but I could see them signing Casey first.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
My guess is Cizikas based on his tenure and position. Palmieri is a higher profile UFA though but I could see them signing Casey first.

I would like Casey back,but I am leery about the Isles giving him to much term. I was not happy with the 4 yrs Martin got .

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I would like Casey back,but I am leery about the Isles giving him to much term. I was not happy with the 4 yrs Martin got .
Neither am I but losing Casey would be a HUGE dent in the bottom 6. They don’t have a quality replacement center in the system unfortunately.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Agree regarding Casey but as for Martin...

Unless Marty Marts play falls off a cliff, he's nearly outperformed the entirety of his deal already. Don't be surprised to see him on the protected list for the expansion draft.

Last edited:

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I’d like to roll with Varly Sorokin for at least another year. Let Sorokin continue to build up and get comfortable. Starting goalies are hard to find. Varly has backstopped us to consecutive final 4 appearances.

Remember when Pittsburg didn’t need MAF because they had Murray and Jarry?
This. Varly is so underrated, and the perfect guy to roll with until Sorokin officially/definitely takes the reins.

Reactions: SI90

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Varlamov is Sorokin’s best friend as well. Let him stay for at least one more year, help him ease into the league

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad