Value of: Semyon Varlamov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I’d like to roll with Varly Sorokin for at least another year. Let Sorokin continue to build up and get comfortable. Starting goalies are hard to find. Varly has backstopped us to consecutive final 4 appearances.

Remember when Pittsburg didn’t need MAF because they had Murray and Jarry?

Last edited:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Try and move Leddy for cap relief instead and roll with Varlamov/Sorokin for one more season (especially considering NYI is opening up a new building).

Then move Varlamov with one year left on his deal if Sorokin proves he can be a #1.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Varlamov + Hickey for Greiss(20% off)

We offload some cap and get a guy who we know can do well in our system, Detroit can turn around and get something of value for Varlamov

Reactions: goal1228

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
What would the teams who need a good starting goalie give up for Semyon Varlamov?

Fortunately NYI has a second fully capable goalie, so trading Varlamov may be an area where they can offload cap.
I’m guessing a 2nd round pick a prospect that is a forward and maybe a backup goalie if he has a cheap cap hit.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I'd think we could get a pretty good return for him. Reasonable salary for a high-end #1 for two more years. I'd like to keep him but considering who we need to re-sign and the positions we need to upgrade, I don't see how we don't at least listen to offers on him.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
The oilers offer Caleb Jones and a 3rd 2022. Clears up the full 5 million in cap room for the NYI and fills the number one slot with Smith in Platoon. The M-NMC might end it as the Oilers are unlikely to be on his list of teams to be able to go to.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Anything to work around Kuznetsov and Varly to bring him back to Washington?
No chance.

The main reason NYI would be trading Varly would be to clear cap. So I'm guessing it's easy to see why your proposal here is a non-starter.

Picks, prospects and maybe a cheap NHL back up are the only things of interest in a Varly trade.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Anything to work around Kuznetsov and Varly to bring him back to Washington?
If the Isles were to make this trade, Kuzy would need to go get himself cleaned up from whatever the heck he was involved with last season as well as Washington taking another decent sized cap dump (Andrew Ladd and his negative value). Trading Varly for equal cap hit (or larger) defeats the purpose and puts them in a bigger mess.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Isles should look elsewhere to save....It's proven you need two competent goalies...Maybe send a prospect in a trade to do a cap dump.

Reactions: periferal

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
The oilers offer Caleb Jones and a 3rd 2022. Clears up the full 5 million in cap room for the NYI and fills the number one slot with Smith in Platoon. The M-NMC might end it as the Oilers are unlikely to be on his list of teams to be able to go to.

I was going to say a 2nd, but that's about the same value.

Even if older goalies (he'll be 34 to start next season) with large cap don't carry a ton of value, he fits the Oilers' needs like a glove. Edmonton is also the only Western team (off the top of my head) that's looking for a goalie and doesn't need to send cap back to make the trade work. Plus you could maybe use him as a mentor for Konovalov in 22/23, if he shows well in the AHL this year.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I was going to say a 2nd, but that's about the same value.

Even if older goalies (he'll be 34 to start next season) with large cap don't carry a ton of value, he fits the Oilers' needs like a glove. Edmonton is also the only Western team (off the top of my head) that's looking for a goalie and doesn't need to send cap back to make the trade work. Plus you could maybe use him as a mentor for Konovalov in 22/23, if he shows well in the AHL this year.
Not knocking Jones,but he is not bumping any of the nyi top 4 and the isles have some solid D prospects in the AHL.

Would rather have a better pick then a 3rd pairing D+ meh 3rd rounder

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Not knocking Jones,but he is not bumping any of the nyi top 4 and the isles have some solid D prospects in the AHL.

Would rather have a better pick then a 3rd pairing D+ meh 3rd rounder

Fair enough, as said I'm good with offering a second in 2022.

If the Oil strike out on chasing Ullmark this offseason, I would expect the them to go hard after Kuemper; If Varlamov is available, I'd far prefer him as a trade target.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad