Confirmed with Link: Seider to play at WJC

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
The Detroit Red Wings are Moritz Seider for the German U20 national team at the 2020 IIHF U20 World Ice Hockey Championship (26 December 2019 to 5 January 2020 in Ostrava / Trinec) from. This confirmed General Manager Steve Yzerman after talks with DEB Sport Director Stefan Schaidnagel and national coach Toni Söderholm in Detroit. Here Yzerman emphasized the importance of the tournament and the commitment of the German defender: "We are convinced that for Moritz the U20 World Cup in December will be another important step in the development of his career. It is also natural for us to turn Moritz off for the U20 national team. We had very good discussions with the responsible persons of the DEB and are happy to assist. "

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
I was ready to tear into Stevie for this pick but I foolishly didn’t believe in the Yzerplan and that was my fault and I’ve changed my ways. I’m absolutely excited to see him come up but not right now with this mess we’re rolling with

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
I was ready to tear into Stevie for this pick but I foolishly didn’t believe in the Yzerplan and that was my fault and I’ve changed my ways. I’m absolutely excited to see him come up but not right now with this mess we’re rolling with
I'm very excited to see him play in the NHL and I think it's coming sooner than anyone could have anticipated.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

What if the Wings would have drafted 5th overall?

Would you be happier having Turcotte?

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
It’s my opinion his development was mishandled and very un-Red Wing like given the organization’s preaching of patience with prospects.

Hard disagree. He was well over 2ppg in the WHL playoffs. He had to move on to a new league.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Not a fan of the move. The kid is playing against men in what's regarded as the second or third best league in the world.
He seems to be playing well.
He's played well in the MEN's IIHF Worlds.
I see no reason to send him to play against kids.

Last edited:

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Bad idea. playing with Griffins>playing with little kids
Usually I would agree, but the WJC is an entirely different beast then simply playing juniors. Its some of the fastest and most competitive hockey out there and being a leader on his team will be great experience for Mo.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
The 80s Wings teams were far worse, they were called the Dead Wings for a reason.
At least those teams had a young superstar like Yzerman. The best we have is Larkin who is clearly not on the same caliber at Stevie was as a player..

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Get ready for the rest of the hockey world to get our excitement. The prospect board that watches Traverse City changed their tune, but this will be his coming out party to the broader less hardcore hockey audience.

I hope youre right but hes not going to have a tonne to work with on that team. Seider and Bokk are both first rounders but Bokk was a late first and looks like hes having a pretty bad season this year. Sutuzle is going to be drafted fairly early but hes young and even guys projected first overall dont necessarily have good tournaments at that age. The only other guy drafted on the entire team is a 6th rounder.

They might have enough talent to not get relegated and even maybe surprise in a game if they get a lot of PPs but I really dont see them doing much overall. Seider will probably have some whoa moments and big hits that people wil notice a bit but theyre not going to do enough damage I dont think to really make people notice him.

I might be wrong but even for a guy Seiders calibre, its not hard to look bad against a line like Lafreniere Veleno and Newhook (or something like that) with Ty Smith and Dobson on the point. Just not enough support from those around him to stand out I think

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I hope youre right but hes not going to have a tonne to work with on that team. Seider and Bokk are both first rounders but Bokk was a late first and looks like hes having a pretty bad season this year. Sutuzle is going to be drafted fairly early but hes young and even guys projected first overall dont necessarily have good tournaments at that age. The only other guy drafted on the entire team is a 6th rounder.

They might have enough talent to not get relegated and even maybe surprise in a game if they get a lot of PPs but I really dont see them doing much overall. Seider will probably have some whoa moments and big hits that people wil notice a bit but theyre not going to do enough damage I dont think to really make people notice him.

I might be wrong but even for a guy Seiders calibre, its not hard to look bad against a line like Lafreniere Veleno and Newhook (or something like that) with Ty Smith and Dobson on the point. Just not enough support from those around him to stand out I think

I always felt like Josi stood out at the youth level despite the depth of the Swiss team back then. Where you could see it, even in the games they weren't going to have enough depth in he impacted his shifts. That is what I expect from Mo. Also at that level dynamic talents have even more impact and I think Seider is in his own age group. Like how he stood out against Dach heads up in Traverse. We will see, I think it is a good challenge.

We will have to see how it comes out, I am not expecting him to carry Germany well, but I expect him to have a good tournament. He is playing well in pro hockey, shift in and shift out he is going to be playing worse opposition by in large than he sees daily and nightly. He should be able to impact the game and in their relegation battle games he should be the best player on the ice.

German hockey is trending up a little, be nice to see them establish themselves at the junior level, hopefully Seider and Stutzle can keep them up and keep some progress going in the program. Having 3 first round picks on your team isn't a small thing. It would be really nice if they had a goalie but we have seen runs out of Slovakia for instance in this tournament without a lot more prominent guys. Curious to see them.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
Not a fan of the move. The kid is playing against men in what's regarded as the second or third best league in the world.
He seems to be playing well.
He's played well in the MEN's IIHF Worlds.
I see no reason to send him to play against kids.

I think it makes sense to have him benchmarked against other guys of the same age. You know he is going to play ridiculous minutes for team Germany, they are going to rely on him to do a lot of carrying. It will be interesting to see how he handles that.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00