Second teams?

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
So, not because I'm becoming weary of the Sens or anything (Melnyk aside) but I'm looking for a second team and could use some suggestions. I know people usually jump on a playoff team bandwagon, but I'm talking about full time. I've never cheered for anyone else, but I think I can handle it in a 1B type scenario.

I'd probably prefer a western conference team so it's not really a conflict, but that's not a big deal. I would like a team on the downswing or at least not a contender or anything right now. Lastly, I wouldn't mind it if they were a cap team haha.

Right now I'm thinking of Buffalo, Nashville, Phoenix, and Vancouver. Buffalo because of Murray, the rebuild, and all the draft picks, Nashville because they are an up and coming team that should only get better, Fisher, etc, Phoenix, because they are the most likely to move to Seattle if anyone does, and Vancouver because lots of changes should be coming and it would be like a completely new team soon + the Pacific Northwest connection (I'm from Washigton)

I like the underdog mentality with Nashville and Phoenix, but I'm not sure I want to have the constant disappointment of the team unwilling to spend the money when needed, and they both play semi-boring styles. I want to say Vancouver, but their fans seem to be about as annoying as Toronto's so that's a little bit of a detractor.

:help:

Margaret Trudeau*

You have to pick a money/cap team. So I'd not recommend Buffalo. Also western teams are hard to watch because they play so late.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Wouldn't Buffalo spend to the cap when they are in the later stage of their rebuild? I thought their owner was like the 3rd richest in the NHL?

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I'd probably prefer a western conference team so it's not really a conflict, but that's not a big deal. I would like a team on the downswing or at least not a contender or anything right now. Lastly, I wouldn't mind it if they were a cap team haha.

This paragraph screams San Jose.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
Inside one league can be only one team. Until this team exist or till you die.
Why not be a fan of 30 teams ? You win every year ;)

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
No real other team.....

I just hope Rangers lose is all.............................................

Well perhaps the Kings and Quick, l like a little bit....

but l want Ottawa as we all do to be playing now...........

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I'd say Nashville but I dunno how you could just choose to like a team. Its gotta happen naturally.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I grew up in Edmonton so the Oilers will always be my western team.

hey they've still had more playoff success than Toronto and Montreal since the early 90s.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
I don't mind the Bruins as well. Love the way they play, and a lot of likeable players (Bergy, Chara, Kelly).

The Fuhr*

I'm a fan of the Yotes... Hanzal is my favorite player in the nhl... If I was building a NHL team he would be the player I'd build the team around.

I wish he played in the East... He'd terrorize the conference... East has such small number 1Cs

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
Cheer for your local junior team, or Bingo. I don't think I could ever adopt a second NHL team.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Cheer for your local junior team, or Bingo. I don't think I could ever adopt a second NHL team.

Yep.

Taking a liking to a team is organic. I've tried bandwagonning for Boston the last number of years. It's fun to "cheer" for a winning team, but 2 minutes after a playoff game ends, I just don't care about it.

Seeing as you are asking us which team you should arbitrarily cheer for, it seems even more bizarre and weird to just adopt a second team because your first team currently sucks. Even though you say you want a team on the downswing, you're doing this so that when that team eventually gets good, you can say you were a fan all along, which is wrong because you are strategically planning when to "become a fan" of said team.

I'm a Jays fan. I'd love to miraculously become a Cardinals fan, but it doesn't work that way.

It's silly to adopt a team "just because", especially if you are selecting one based on suggestions from a thread like this.

M4TR1X

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
I as well have pondered a 2nd NHL team but when the Sens come on, I just can't bring myself to the same passion level. I've tried with Montreal, Chicago, Boston, NYRangers, and Winnipeg.

The best solution as someone mentioned earlier, cheer for your local junior team.
If you want something that's a little more "professional", you can always pay attention to Ottawa's AHL affiliate, Binghamton. It makes colour coordination far easier.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

That's the best bet.

And best thing about supporting the local juniors, is that you naturally start following a few different NHL teams down the road as the kids graduate to their NHL teams.

John Holmes*

I haven't watched a full game since the Sens last one.

Even playoffs I can't get fully into. I watch a few minutes here and there, but really don't care if Ottawa isn't involved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad