Second Round predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
I am surprised how many have Canucks over Oilers, what is this based on?

Edmonton is not Nashville offensively or defensively, but the gap offensively is much greater than the gap defensively.

Vancouver will not win a game with 20 SOG this round. Will need 3 goals a game minimum IMO
I'm not saying they'll win. But I don't see canucks struggling to get shots the way they did first round. Edmonton does not shut down the middle like Nashville does.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Edmonton is not Nashville offensively or defensively, but the gap offensively is much greater than the gap defensively.

Vancouver will not win a game with 20 SOG this round. Will need 3 goals a game minimum IMO
They’re the higher seed.
If the regular season goes out the window then so does the first round of the playoffs. These teams are about as close as it gets imo.

Reactions: Fraser28

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
They’re the higher seed.
If the regular season goes out the window then so does the first round of the playoffs. These teams are about as close as it gets imo.
I didn't say they couldn't, and I think its a toss up, but unless they get going offensively, it's going to be tough. The last few games with Nashville would be tough to duplicate against the best player in the league.

Just being realistic here, Canucks need to get back to generating more offense IMO.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West

Canucks are a meat and potatoes team that backs up their netminder and plays as a real team. Anyone on that roster has the ability to be a hero on any given night and they all play hungry. You don't think much about them since they don't really have superstar power until after you lose. Canucks are a massively slept on team and they absolutely take advantage of that. Fear the Orca.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Rangers in 7
Dallas in 6
Oilers in 5/6
Florida in 5

I picked Edmonton, but with how Edmonton plays they won’t suppress Vancouver to 20 shots/game. They don’t have the same defensive system that Nashville deployed

McSomnii

why u no change oil
Nov 3, 2012
Little Houston, AB
Now that Dallas has finished off Vegas:

Carolina over NYR in 6
Florida over Boston in 5
Colorado over Dallas in 6
Edmonton over Vancouver in 6

New Jersey Devil

Sep 30, 2013
New Jersey
Here are the rest of my second round predictions & REVISED Stanley Cup Final prediction:

Boston over Florida in 6
Dallas over Colorado in 6
Edmonton over Vancouver in 6

Stanley Cup Final: Dallas over Boston

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Hurricanes in 6 over Rangers
Panthers in 6 over Bruins
Oilers in 5 over Canucks
Avalanche in 7 over Stars

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
I don't have any ponies in these races so I hope I can be more objective.

Dallas over Avs 6 or 7
Vancouver over Oilers 7
Panthers over Bruins in 5
Canes over Rangers in 6-7

But save for the Panthers series which I think will be one sided, the other 3 series could go either way.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Florida is easy - Boston barely beat the Leafs and the Leafs suck.
Carolina - only because I dislike NY
Edmonton - If Nashville have survived Game 4, I think they would have beat Vancouver in 7
Colorado - they're simply too good.

Reactions: wunderpanda

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
The Oilers had less shot attempts than the canucks and much lower percentage of total shot attempts. They also won a game with sub 20 shots against LA, and got outshot and outchanced hard against LA while Vancouver dominated Nashville. Nashville played a very specific style that was a direct counter to Vancouver's system that sacrificed all offense and still lost because they couldn't generate offense while doing it, do you really think the Oilers are going to try the same?

I'm very very curious about this. The Canucks gave the Oilers absolute fits this year and so far 95% of people think this is totally different in the playoffs.

Hey, if the games are called like the Nucks v Preds I don't think the Oilers have a hope.

If the Oilers get 4-5 pp's / game like in their LA series then they have good chance.

If the Oilers win, it will be on special teams.

I didn't say they couldn't, and I think its a toss up, but unless they get going offensively, it's going to be tough. The last few games with Nashville would be tough to duplicate against the best player in the league.

Just being realistic here, Canucks need to get back to generating more offense IMO.

The Oilers don't play like the Preds.

IMO if the Oilers win it will be on special teams. 5 on 5 the Canucks have given them nightmares all year.

My picks:

Rangers over Cans in 6
Cats over Bruins in 6
Stars over Avs in 7
Nucks over Oilers in 6

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I'm very very curious about this. The Canucks gave the Oilers absolute fits this year and so far 95% of people think this is totally different in the playoffs.

I think people are generally acknowledging that three of the four games played between the two teams were played within the first eleven games of the season (for the Oilers) when they were clearly not themselves. We can’t really glean anything from games played six months ago.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley

The Predators did a good job of getting in the lanes. They were literally diving in front of shots and blocking a lot of them. I don't expect the Oilers to put up that kind of defensive wall. Judging the Canucks offense based on round one may be as unwise as judging the Oilers based on their four losses to Vancouver in the regular season.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
The Predators did a good job of getting in the lanes. They were literally diving in front of shots and blocking a lot of them. I don't expect the Oilers to put up that kind of defensive wall. Judging the Canucks offense on round one may be as unwise as judging the Oilers on their four losses to Vancouver in the regular season.
I hope it's a close series, but its not out of left field to suggest that the Canucks will probably need to score more against the Oilers to win than against Nashville.

Any word on Demko?

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I hope it's a close series, but its not out of left field to suggest that the Canucks will probably need to score more against the Oilers to win than against Nashville.

Any word on Demko?
Definitely.

Nothing new I've heard. He's been skating for a few days.

"Canucks head coach Rick Tocchet ruled Demko out for Game 1 of Vancouver’s second-round series on Sunday but said the star goalie is improving."

That doesn't tell us much.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Definitely.

Nothing new I've heard. He's been skating for a few days.

"Canucks head coach Rick Tocchet ruled Demko out for Game 1 of Vancouver’s second-round series on Sunday but said the star goalie is improving."

That doesn't tell us much.
Had a few fans take that opinion personal, I didn't even predict an Oilers win, lol. This is probably the most unpredictable series in the 2nd round.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad