GDT: Season Opening GDT: Blues @ Kraken 3:30 PM CST ESPN/ESPN+

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Game finished to late for me to post.....
But how in the world does Kappy get the 4th most Ice Time, among Blues Forwards last night?
Seriously WTF is going on with that? All but 8 seconds was at even strength.
He had the longest average Shift on any Blue last night, at nearly a minute per shift.
With all that ice time, he was a -1 with one missed shot and 1 hit. No blocked shots, no take aways......

I knew he was out there a lot, but didn't realize Bannister had given him that much Ice Time.
Guy looked out of place on most shifts.

Kappy getting that much ice time, and the continuation of carrying 8 defensemen as it seems, once again, Army is hoping that Peru, at 26 years old, was not a wasted draft pick.

Just to troll fans on this forum.

AyeBah

Apr 5, 2019
The Kapanen experience will never end. He's the future and deserves the ice time over all of our top prospects. Can't wait til Snug is sent to the AHL at the end of the season so Kapanen can get his top 9 minutes. He was a first round pick too!

Reactions: BlueMed

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's the first game and we won, who cares about Kap's minutes. When Saad returns from baby duty, he's either out of lineup or 4th line.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
The Ozarks and Northern Arkansas are hidden little gems. Maybe that TV show has given it more of a presence, even though it's mostly filmed in Georgia, not the Ozarks. I know...lame.....

By the way, Peoria, AZ (suburb of Phoenix) is named after Peoria, IL.
It is amazing how beautiful the western half of Arkansas is and how ugly eastern Arkansas is

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
Went back and rewatched the game and a couple of things stood out:

Broberg didn’t lose many 1:1 battles. He was more physical than I expected him to be, or saw him be with Edmonton.

Thomas was overwhelming for their young Cs, even in the early parts of the game where the rest of the team was a wreck. The shift after Walker got in Dunn's face he stripped the puck 4 times against the Stephenson/Schwartz line in the OZ and created 2 grade A scoring chances, then at the end of the shift he casually swatted the puck off Wrights stick. This was the shift that really created the momentum that lead to the PP.

Shocked to be saying this, but: Kyrou carried the 2nd line in all 3 zones. He was the most consistent defender/checker on that line, and was the only winger consistently pressuring their dmen (who were the early difference for the Kraken, IMO) in the DZ..It was also Kyrou who jumped on with the 4th line and created chaos that led to the PP.

Faksa and Neighbors woke up halfway through the 2nd. Faksa line did a good job managing when Bylsma got the match-ups he wanted. Neighbors created a good amount of chaos on the forecheck. Thomas got those two to ratchet up their intensity, but Neighbors pulled them into a more physical game as things went on. Thomas even had a nice hit and reverse hit in the same sequence in the 3rd. I still don't know that I like them together.

Faulk looked much better than last year, but the half-up passes were a problem for him and everyone else but Broberg and Suter. Leddy's game was up and down for me. Parayko's timing was horrendous.

As the game went on, it became very apparent that the Blues were much bigger and more physical than the Kraken. And not a whole lot slower. I hope/expect to see a very physical game against San Jose.

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Just to troll fans on this forum.
Sorry but not meaning to Troll, just befuddled at the fact that the Dude is getting more Ice Time then a guy like Kyrou. Hell Kyrou had more then 2 minutes less of ice time then Kappy, and we where down most of the game.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Sorry but not meaning to Troll, just befuddled at the fact that the Dude is getting more Ice Time then a guy like Kyrou. Hell Kyrou had more then 2 minutes less of ice time then Kappy, and we where down most of the game.
No no, I'm pretty sure he's saying the Blues are playing Kappy more minutes to Troll us. Not calling you a troll.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
No no, I'm pretty sure he's saying the Blues are playing Kappy more minutes to Troll us. Not calling you a troll.

That is correct. I'm less anti-Kappy than most people here but even I am surprised he played so much.

However, looking at the box score he had 18 total shifts, which would only be more than the 4th line and Texier (and equal to Holloway). So maybe he got stuck on the ice a couple of times long and couldn't change rather than Bannister deciding to play him that much. The difference in ice time among our top 9 forwards wasn't that big.

It seemed to me that Bannister was more or less rolling all 4 lines evenly at even strength, which makes sense to do during the first game. Of course the first line got a bit more and the fourth line less but I think he just wanted everyone to get involved in the first game of the year.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Went back and rewatched the game and a couple of things stood out:

Broberg didn’t lose many 1:1 battles. He was more physical than I expected him to be, or saw him be with Edmonton.

Thomas was overwhelming for their young Cs, even in the early parts of the game where the rest of the team was a wreck. The shift after Walker got in Dunn's face he stripped the puck 4 times against the Stephenson/Schwartz line in the OZ and created 2 grade A scoring chances, then at the end of the shift he casually swatted the puck off Wrights stick. This was the shift that really created the momentum that lead to the PP.

Shocked to be saying this, but: Kyrou carried the 2nd line in all 3 zones. He was the most consistent defender/checker on that line, and was the only winger consistently pressuring their dmen (who were the early difference for the Kraken, IMO) in the DZ..It was also Kyrou who jumped on with the 4th line and created chaos that led to the PP.

Faksa and Neighbors woke up halfway through the 2nd. Faksa line did a good job managing when Bylsma got the match-ups he wanted. Neighbors created a good amount of chaos on the forecheck. Thomas got those two to ratchet up their intensity, but Neighbors pulled them into a more physical game as things went on. Thomas even had a nice hit and reverse hit in the same sequence in the 3rd. I still don't know that I like them together.

Faulk looked much better than last year, but the half-up passes were a problem for him and everyone else but Broberg and Suter. Leddy's game was up and down for me. Parayko's timing was horrendous.

As the game went on, it became very apparent that the Blues were much bigger and more physical than the Kraken. And not a whole lot slower. I hope/expect to see a very physical game against San Jose.
I am open to Jordan Kyrou becoming a different player than he has been. The alternative is waiting around for time to pass until he's gone, but it would be far more fun if he turned the corner and became good CONSISTENTLY

I noticed someone whose body language was different so we shall see

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
If Kyrou can have 5 or 6 goals by the 10 game mark I'll be happy. Especially if he keeps up his defensive game from last game. Dude was hounding the Seattle defensemen all game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad