GDT: Season Opening GDT: Blues @ Kraken 3:30 PM CST ESPN/ESPN+

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Good win. Been a long time since I saw a Blues team clamp down defensively like that.

Leddy was good tonight and I’ve already seen enough to know that Broberg will be a much welcomed addition over Krug. Faulk is healthy and will be better than last year.

The other new guys (Holloway, Joseph, Texier) all showed some good things too.

Kyrou and Binnington were both obviously on. They were great.

Happy to see Bannister got control of this thing after a bad 1st period. Glad hockey is officially back!
Tex calmed down and Banny used him in better spots for him. He was going crazy in the 1st period. I thought to myself, I was happy DA added Texier? But glad he slowed down and finished much better.

Reactions: Michael64

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Good win. Been a long time since I saw a Blues team clamp down defensively like that.

Leddy was good tonight and I’ve already seen enough to know that Broberg will be a much welcomed addition over Krug. Faulk is healthy and will be better than last year.

The other new guys (Holloway, Joseph, Texier) all showed some good things too.

Kyrou and Binnington were both obviously on. They were great.

Happy to see Bannister got control of this thing after a bad 1st period. Glad hockey is officially back!

I thought Faksa looked good too. Seems like the perfect 4C. The team had a few bad plays early on, but that's to be expected early in the season. But the whole team did their jobs and it was a nice all around effort.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
You should! A few months ago, I did the drive up from LA to Seattle with a friend and it was amazing. Hit the Redwoods and then the coastal drive the rest of the way.

I try to go up north every summer, whether it’s the PNW, or the Yellowstone/Grand Teton’s/Glacier area. Truly the most beautiful places in the continental US.
This is almost exactly what I'm thinking. I've never been to San Francisco either, so I want to fly to SF, engorge myself on real Chinese food, rent a car and drive up the coast all the way to Seattle. Closest I've been to the PNW is Pocatello, ID and, of course Alberta and the eastern side of the BC.

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I’ve driven through there a few times and it seems nice. All the national parks in southern Utah would probably be my second favorite area outside of the north.
One of the first team names for Utah that I thought of was The Utah Canyon and have a coyote as the mascot. It makes sense and could be a really cool abstract landscape as one of the logos. Southern Utah is freaky weird cool. I go to the Grand Canyon almost once per month and Page is just an hour so north of the GC. I have a lifetime pass to all National Parks that have an admission fee.

A theory of how the GC was formed is that it happened suddenly, within minutes by a natural dam that finally gave away and raked the whole area. Between the GC and Flagstaff is the largest volcanic field in the US. Something like 200 volcanoes in this one area..

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Post game thoughts

Obviously the first half was downright brutal but once the team found their momentum in the second they looked much better.

Best Player: Binnington, looked very calm in net made several high danger stops, didn't get rattled after falling behind.

Worst Player: Parayko, he was downright bad tonight. Bad defensive reads, slow decision making with the puck, bad pinches, flubbed pucks, turnovers galore. He was awful tonight, hopefully a one off and not a precursor to the season he will have.

Kyrou obviously had a strong game

Thomas dominated in the dot and had one nice assist, looked much better when reunited with Kyrou and Buch.

Buchnevich at center does not work, his game vastly improved when moved back to Thomas wing.

Holloway looked great on the forecheck, lost the puck in his skates a few times negating some potential chances but overall was good.

Texier had a really bad shift in defensive zone early in the game where he looked lost but as the game went on settled down and played a simple but effective game.

Kapanen, looks like the preseason was a fluke because he was the definition of passenger tonight and was a drag on that 3rd line.

4th Line, Faska, Walker, Toropchenko, I credit them with the shifting the momentum with the brawl after the offside Kraken goal. Felt like a turning point in the game. Would like to see them be a bit more physical on the forecheck during their ice time.

Leddy, Broberg and Faulk were the best defenseman tonight. Leddy in particular was making all kinds of great offensive reads tonight. Broberg obviously had the goal but thought he played a very simple but highly effective game in the defensive zone. Faulk looks to be healthy again and was moving really well.

Suter and Kessel were both there. Suter with a bad read on the second Kraken goal. Kessel cleared a couple of pucks right onto Kraken sticks. Really didn't notice them until they made a mistake, probably played better than I am remembering.

Lastly, as someone else said it has been a long time since I have seen a Blues team lock down the defensive zone with a lead in a game. Not only did we not give up any grade A chances late, we didn't allow a shot on goal in the last 10 minutes or so. Solid five man effort to close out the game.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
This is almost exactly what I'm thinking. I've never been to San Francisco either, so I want to fly to SF, engorge myself on real Chinese food, rent a car and drive up the coast all the way to Seattle. Closest I've been to the PNW is Pocatello, ID and, of course Alberta and the eastern side of the BC.

You can go through the redwoods on that trip. Just a thought, there are winding roads that last for a very long time, depending on your route. I’m all for winding roads but 30-40mph constant left right rollar coaster gets old after an hour.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Bolduc deserved to make the roster, even if it is just until Saad gets back. It's hard to tell a young guy who is doing everything right that the AHL is better for him. Should see a game sooner rather than later.

I still believe in Kyrou, but the people that don't never will regardless.

Very pleased with the early returns on Broberg and Holloway, but it is a long way to go.

FINALLY a game where we have the lead late and don't play on our heels and let Binner eat shots the last 1:30-2 minutes. They actually pressured and hustled and made good passes. It's easy to chuck a shot and get an icing and lose momentum. But we pressured and that made it easier to defend the zone entry and gain possession again.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
You can go through the redwoods on that trip. Just a thought, there are winding roads that last for a very long time, depending on your route. I’m all for winding roads but 30-40mph constant left right rollar coaster gets old after an hour.
I lived in Thousand Oaks, CA for a while and the Santa Monica Mountains are between TO and Malibu. I loved driving on those mountain roads. Twisty and turny as all hell. We have quite a bit of that here in AZ, even in the Phoenix area.

But I can imagine the twisty turniness up north is on another level. I've driven through part of the Canadian Rockies in eastern BC and that got progressively more challenging. I wanna see Northern California really bad. And I want to take a really long time working my way up the coast. If it becomes too much, I'll just skip some parts. lol

Reactions: Spektre

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I’m not bothered by the slow start. A game starting in the morning like this is really hard to get your body clock right.

But when this team needs energy, who is going to fight someone or get some energy going?

Reactions: stlwahoo

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
as for the PNW ... I grew up in STL, have been to all 50 states, have walked across the country, have lived in DC and 14 states and PNW is already the best place I have lived despite the grey and rain season. grey and rain season is not hurricane season or fire season or frigid season or tornado season or flood season or wet bulb season, it is just something to get cozy with during hockey for a few months.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad