Value of: Sean Durzi

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Been a big time trade durzi guy for a while. However he made huge strides this year defensively and with his breakouts.

Would like to see what he could do with a more stay at home type that LA does not have .

Sounds like Durzi and Maatta would be a good fit together. :naughty:

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I was honestly shocked with how good he made Hronek look. The dude was actually a PLUS on Detroit this year.

He's always been a pretty smart, effective defenceman. He just seems to have taken a while to grow into his mobility limits or something. That can happen with those types. Where they just need to learn their limits and how to stay within them with efficient positioning and letting the right, mobile partner do the heavy lifting on that end of things.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I could definitely see the Wings taking a flyer on Durzi. To backfill that Hronek spot. There are other options out there for RHD, but a lot of it is free agents that are older. I also get the impression that Yzerman might be looking to get bigger and more physical on the back end though, not smaller, with a a defensively somewhat questionable guy like Durzi. It'd be a little bit too much of a direct backfill with a sort of "poor man's Hronek".

The problem with Durzi's value is, despite a nice cheap contract for the time being...he's still a bit of an undersized defenceman, and pretty questionable defensively. That makes him a real "tweener" feeling #4/5D sort of guy. At least, in a lot of systems/situations i think that's how he ought to be viewed. He's still young enough to take another step and improve to a more solid Top-4 lock, and he's shown he can play quite a few minutes when pressed to it.

Problem is, i think most teams these days are looking for more of a steady, defensively robust sort of "top-4 lock". There are a bunch of teams around the league that are looking at options, or already pressing a somewhat suspect #4/5D into an everyday Top-4D role. Especially RHD.

If Hronek is worth a mid-1st and a high-2nd (debatable but that's what the market apparently said), i don't think a mid-2nd for Durzi is at all unreasonable "value". Problem is just finding a team with the right situation to take a flyer on a smallish "tweener" defenceman. Maybe you find a taker who is just looking to bolster their 3rd pair RHD behind a less reliable/durable/older guy to reduce their regular season minutes a bit? With a cheap contract, i could see teams being in the market for that. The age/price at least separates Durzi from the decent UFA market for tweener RHD.
If the Islanders can’t meet Mayfield’s number, he could be slotted in 3 RD with Bolduc, behind Pulock and Dobson, and play PP.
How about Aho for your left side and a 4th?
Or maybe something bigger? We might be moving Pageau if Barzal goes back to Center.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
If the Islanders can’t meet Mayfield’s number, he could be slotted in 3 RD with Bolduc, behind Pulock and Dobson, and play PP.
Or maybe something bigger? We might be moving Pageau if Barzal goes back to Center.
Kings have no need for Aho and no need/cap space for Pageau.
Second round pick from NY will do

Reactions: go4hockey

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Durzi can certainly generate offense but he is a guy you absolutely do not want in your lineup in the playoffs. His shortfalls are exacerbated in the playoffs and he will literally cost your team at least one goal per game with his poor reads and defense. Caveat emptor.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

I'm not a Kings fan, so i can only speak from a neutral perspective on that.

But i don't see the Isles and Kings as great trade partners. Even Durzi with the Isles as a Mayfield replacement, is a bit of an odd fit. You've already got a pair of good offensive RHD. Mayfield was a much better fit as more of that "stay-at-home" guy, PKer, etc.

Probably comes down to how the Kings would value a really small defenceman like Aho. I'd guess not very highly at all. Especially when they've already got some smaller RHD that they're ostensibly trying to make room for, or find big physical LHD partner for. Gavrikov is a step in that direction assuming they do get him signed, but they're still short a guy. Aho very much isn't that guy.

Both teams also have a bit of a clutter of wingers and guys sorta fighting for bottom-6 center spots. Don't see Pageau being too interesting to LA when they've already got a host of guys they want to slot in somewhere behind Kopitar/Danault. Seems like both teams are looking for a similar thing up front. Trying to turn a bunch of "decent bottom-9 guys" into more "bona fide Top-6 scoring talent".

Reactions: kinghock

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Durzi can certainly generate offense but he is a guy you absolutely do not want in your lineup in the playoffs. His shortfalls are exacerbated in the playoffs and he will literally cost your team at least one goal per game with his poor reads and defense. Caveat emptor.
Lot of that was Tmac....he was determined to play Durzi on the PK when the rest of the world knew it was a bad idea.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Lot of that was Tmac....he was determined to play Durzi on the PK when the rest of the world knew it was a bad idea.

Partially a specific coach thing, but also...largely just a general coach thing. Part of what makes Durzi a bit of an awkward fit in a lot of situations.

If you're gonna have a defenceman on your bottom pairing, which is where you probably should want Durzi playing as a #4/5 swing guy at most...Typically, coaches are going to want that guy to be capable of filling quiet no fuss minutes and contributing on the PK.

Most teams only use 2, maybe 3 defencemen on the powerplay these days. So with Durzi, you're looking for a team fit that only has 1 or 2 other "powerplay defencemen" at most. So he can get his minutes there. Otherwise, that coach is probably going to want to get his minutes up with Special Teams somehow else, and that's going to be the PK. It's a lot easier to run a bench when that bottom-pair guy is more defensive minutes/PK oriented. Especially since it alleviates some of the harder, more dangerous minutes for your "top defencemen".

Not that there aren't teams out there where Durzi could still play that #4/5 role, probably 2nd Unit PP time, and not be asked to PK. It does make the fit trickier. It also leaves the door open to a coach trying to shoehorn Durzi into minutes he'll drown in defensively/PK-wise.

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Partially a specific coach thing, but also...largely just a general coach thing. Part of what makes Durzi a bit of an awkward fit in a lot of situations.

If you're gonna have a defenceman on your bottom pairing, which is where you probably should want Durzi playing as a #4/5 swing guy at most...Typically, coaches are going to want that guy to be capable of filling quiet no fuss minutes and contributing on the PK.

Most teams only use 2, maybe 3 defencemen on the powerplay these days. So with Durzi, you're looking for a team fit that only has 1 or 2 other "powerplay defencemen" at most. So he can get his minutes there. Otherwise, that coach is probably going to want to get his minutes up with Special Teams somehow else, and that's going to be the PK. It's a lot easier to run a bench when that bottom-pair guy is more defensive minutes/PK oriented. Especially since it alleviates some of the harder, more dangerous minutes for your "top defencemen".

Not that there aren't teams out there where Durzi could still play that #4/5 role, probably 2nd Unit PP time, and not be asked to PK. It does make the fit trickier. It also leaves the door open to a coach trying to shoehorn Durzi into minutes he'll drown in defensively/PK-wise.

Great post and agreed.....however there was many a time this season Tmac actually put Durzi on the 5 on 3 kill which was perplexing to say the least. Doughty/Anderson/Roy are all stronger defensively. Hoping Durzi gets moved and Spence gets his opportunity.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Somehow according to Capfriendly all of the defensemen on the Utah roster - and three of the players on the non-roster list - are all free agents.

I'd imagine Durzi isn't going anywhere since he is an RFA. what type of contract does he receive?

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Somehow according to Capfriendly all of the defensemen on the Utah roster - and three of the players on the non-roster list - are all free agents.

I'd imagine Durzi isn't going anywhere since he is an RFA. what type of contract does he receive?
You should have made your own thread instead of necroing one from 2 years ago lol

He probably maxes out at 6-7m with term but it's more likely he's in the 4-5m range for a few years.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
You should have made your own thread instead of necroing one from 2 years ago lol

He probably maxes out at 6-7m with term but it's more likely he's in the 4-5m range for a few years.

Wasn't sure of that. Thought the mods merged them to prevent multiple threads for the same players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad